Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Who Wants to Be a Superhero? show

(this was originally in the Comics/Books section, but since it's a TV show, I moved it)

As a rule, I hate "reality" television, but this show is so un-real and comic book cheesy, that I have found myself interested in it. Stan Lee is trying to bring a return of the true hero, not the anti-hero that has become popular in recent times.

Some details:

- decent costumes, with some "huh?"-level ones too
    - same for hero names (Cell Phone Girl? )
    - almost 10 minutes enduring attack dogs while trying to finish a task (most were under 1 minute)
    - creating a villain out of an off-the-team hero (that was unscripted, right? )

Check it out. It's bad, but it's kinda good also! Sci-Fi Channel has new episodes on Thursday nights.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I had seen a bunch of previews but haven't tuned in yet, I'll have to DVR it.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I watched the first eps last week, and although many parts were cringingly awful and embarassing, there was an underlying truth to what they were doing as well. I think Stan Lee or whomever is making the decisions on who to cut and who to chide for their behavior is a little unfair with Levity getting cut simply because he makes custom action figures for a living, and calling out Tyveculus simply because he didn't want to disappoint Stan the Man - although Stan Lee even said it wasn't quite right, so he should have used that for an out (his original costume was WAY cooler than that ridiculous thing they made him, I'm assuming they did so on purpose to test the other superheroes). Cell Phone Girl had nothing to offer, I dunno why they kept her from the auditions. That Rotiart bit was pretty good, very comic-booky. Dark Enforcer's costume was easily the coolest one of the bunch. Feedback's costume reminds me a lot of Captain Amazing from Mystery Men.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I watched the first eps last week, and although many parts were cringingly awful and embarassing, there was an underlying truth to what they were doing as well. I think Stan Lee or whomever is making the decisions on who to cut and who to chide for their behavior is a little unfair ... - although Stan Lee even said it wasn't quite right, so he should have used that for an out (his original costume was WAY cooler than that ridiculous thing they made him, I'm assuming they did so on purpose to test the other superheroes). ... That Rotiart bit was pretty good, very comic-booky. Dark Enforcer's costume was easily the coolest one of the bunch. ...
    All this series needs is a credit for an inker; I see this as quite scripted (and that's probably why I like it). There are no "fake because there's a camera nearby" actions, because it's ALL scripted (well, maybe not the 10-minute Monkey Girl dog effort). I was talking to the TV (it didn't answer back... ) that Iron Enforcer would be an awesome villain for the show, and I've correctly predicted all the "turn in your costume" selections so far. This is quite "comic-booky," and I like that aspect. (when will there be a cross-over with Stargate SG-1? ).

*stares and smacks bel with a P90* That was just mean.

I haven't been keeping much track of it but found Trivicular or whatever's costume change the best part of it. It was so hilariously horrible that he was a moron to even think about saying anything decent about it- the helmet didn't even fit him properly!

Looking at some of the other costumes, I doubt there is anyway it was meant seriously considering he goes from cool looking armor to some plush spartan thing. You could see every expression he was holding back, you could even see him choking on the (likely scripted) bull he was about to spew.

Iron Enforcer was pretty predictable to become a super villain for the show, but I hope they don't concentrate too much on him. He's funny for awhile, then just gets on your nerves.

Overall, I'm thinking the one whos gonna win will probably be the red/black costumed guy, Major Victory I think?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker
    *stares and smacks bel with a P90* That was just mean.

Overall, I'm thinking the one whos gonna win will probably be the red/black costumed guy, Major Victory I think?
    And what's the proper comic book sound effect for that smack I took? *urrf!* ? *thuuck!* ? *urgg!* ?

Remember that the "prize" for this series is having the winner by in a comic of his/her/its/their (?? hmm...) own. I think Monkey Girl has the most potential for an actual storyline, she looks pretty good, and that dog effort will stick in Stan's mind for a while. My vote's for her.

Major Victory is so blatently cheesy hes hilarious. Like when he was running to that purple thing and stopped to "rescue" the girl, i laughed. I thought Iron Enforcer was dorky, plus he reminds me of a poor mans version of the actor that played Hellboy. I think it would be funny if Fat Momma won.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

My wife is hooked, now, since the tag team dog incident with Monkey Woman. I think Major Victory, who seems like he just stepped out of The Incredibles, will take it, though. Feedback is interesting...could go either way. Iron Enforcer, the Vin Diesel wannabee, is a good fit for Super Villain, since his "roomies" don't seem to care for him very much.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Someone I chat with on MySpace knows Feedback and The Dark Enforcer as well as another one of the guys. I can't remember which one.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aid killer
    Major Victory is so blatently cheesy hes hilarious. Like when he was running to that purple thing and stopped to "rescue" the girl, i laughed.
    Yeah, but do you believe he stopped because it was the right thing to do or because he realized it was part of the game? To me, he's silly but I almost buy him as "the one" out of this group, he seems pretty genuine about the motivations BEYOND the silliness, and the silliness is pretty funny to boot. The dancing and the hair-flip in the one you mentioned were cheap goofs, but he went RIGHT to that kid when he saw her crying.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.