Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Where does Vader get his name?

This may be a stupid question for some, but where did Vader get his name? He was Anakin Skywalker, then turned to Vader. Why not Darth Skywalker?

My theory is that each Sith gets issued the name Darth plus a name that best suits(sp?) them. For example, Darth Vader means Dark Father or Darth Sidious means (I think) Dark Side.

Darth Sidious seems to derive from the word insidious, meaning Palpatine is lurking in the shadows.

Arrow

That name no longer has any meaning for me.
    Vader said it himself. Perhaps a Sith must break all ties to his/her/its former self and fully accept the ways of the Dark Side. Besides, if he was Darth Skywalker, everybody would know who he really was, and perhaps be less threatened by him.

Vader: "Prepare to meet your doom, Rebel!"
    Rebel: "Yippee!"
    Vader: "What?!?"
    Rebel: "Mighty blasters, 'Annie.' Gonna cry without your mommy, Darth Annie?"
    Vader: "Grr!"

While no so flippant, having a weakness (i.e. family, friends, those who know somethings about you) could be used against anyone, especially one who gets a galactic-wide reputation.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Before E1 came out I had assumed "Darth Vader" was simply a cool title Lucas had made.

After E1 and the revelation of two more sith lord names came about, I just feel like they're created as sort-of cartoonishy menacing role identification. Maul=big brute, Sidious=insider/insidiously evil dude.

I'd still prefer to call Sidious Emperor Palpatine, simply because its a much cooler name.

Lucas got the name "Darth Vader" from the Norse languages.

"Darth" is close to their word for "Dark."

"Vader" is similar to their word for "Father."

I'm not making this up, read one of the biographies on Lucas. It wasn't until he started on the prequels that he came up with the idea for all sith lords to be "Darth (fill in the blank)."
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Wolfwood, I have heard that too.

In ANH, the meaning is not so relevant, because it might have been the only SW film to see fruition. In ESB, it really carries a subliminal meaning.

Was it always Lucas' definitive version to go with the paternal storyline in ESB? I am wondering if Ob-Wan's ANH quip, "Only a master of evil, Darth" was always meant to be sarcastic, or if it is just a reinterpretation by the audience after ESB ? ? ?

The idea of Vader being Luke's father did not come about until the script for ESB was being finalized. If Vader is close to the Norse word for Father it is a coincidence.

GL hadn't decided to go with Vader as Luke's Dad 'til years after ANH.

As for the "Darth" title? Well, most EU stuff that has been written over the years refers to the old Sith Lords as Darth this or Darth that. Most of which was written long before the prequels.

Seriously, check it out.
    May the force be with you.

The idea of Vader being Luke's father did not come about until the script for ESB was being finalized. If Vader is close to the Norse word for Father it is a coincidence.
    So when Lucas says that the concept behind Star Wars is the rise and fall of a man and the redemption by his son, he's just making this up?

GL hadn't decided to go with Vader as Luke's Dad 'til years after ANH.
    Oh yeah, decades upon decades.

When he was toying with the idea of Star Wars with characters like Anakin Starkiller and so forth, the premise was not there. Once he got the basic premise down, 1975-76-ish, he had the plot for the first movie, as well as the general backstory, which is somewhat foretold in Star Wars (ANH). (i.e. Vader Luke's father)

I don't read EU, and I don't think Lucas reads too much of it either. The first real EU stuff was Zahn's first trilogy, which came out about 2 years (hardly a LONG time) before Lucas started working on the prequels. That first book trilogy has no mention of Darth Joe Sith Lord in it anywhere.

And I doubt Lucas would base a large premise of the prequels on somebody else's ideas. No matter what EU it came from, the Big GL can do whatever he want and change whatever he wants. So the whole "Darth..." was Lucas' call.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Zahn was going to call the Noghri "Sith," since Vader is referred to as the Dark Lord of the Sith a lot and there was no mention of what a "Sith" was.

And I don't recall any Darths in the EU prior to the mention of Darth Bane in the TPM novelization.
    Tommy, close your eyes.