Thread: The Blue Max

The Blue Max

George Peppard (Hannibal Smith from the A-Team) stars in this movie about the German Air Force's ace pilots during World War One.

It is an excellent movie I just finished watching and could easily watch over again. I think with CGI, Flyboys (Sept 2006) will surpass it), but for this movie, real pilots did real stunt flying and dog-fighting and it comes off as incredibly amazing. You also see how they were developing more modern single-wing planes, having used bi-planes throughout most of the war. Strafing runs on infantry changing the course of Europe's trench war stalemate was also explored.

Jerry Goldsmith (Star Trek) did the soundtrack, but I'll state it's actually NOT to my liking really. (Others here have suggested their appreciation for it - but too each their own. It's more military band than "tragic-epic" which I prefer all the more often.)

Speaking of Star Trek, the actor that played Peppar's character's rival, "Willie," was later seeing playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard's brother in the TNG episode "Family," (which followed the Captain's capture and mutilation by the Borg). He was very good in this movie.

Everyone played their roles well and forged some kind of German accent, save for Peppard, who spoke and talked like an American (just think of Hannibal Smith from the A-Team again - same type of cocky character). The contrast between Peppard and all the other "elite" German characters sort of worked with that, however, as someone else had mentioned, it makes it more difficult to believe he's German.

The chick, a German Countess, is lusciously tempting and gets barely dressed (or should I say "covered") in the sex scene. For an older movie, I have to say she was tempting and would bring you flashbacks of the early Bond girls you loved loving.

The airial photography and combat is great. Like I said, I'm sure Flyboys will improve upon this, and it's about pilots on "our side," but The Blue Max was awesome. Again, a better soundtrack would have helped. Music sure did wonders for Top Gun.

Oh, the actual Blue Max is like a flying cross, and Germany's highest medal for kills for a combat pilot. That's what Peppard's character is after in this movie (besides the wife of one of his commanding officers who's loose enough to already be sleeping with her nephew by marriage. Go figure.)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho...I was just wondering if your Blue Max DVD showed up. I saw your review. I'm glad you liked the movie so much, especially the aerial photography. Sorry, though, you didn't dig Goldsmith's score as much as me. It's all relative. I consider Top Gun more pop, and Blue Max more orchestral. I actually did find it very epic & tragic, especially towards the end as Germany's clearing losing...and Bruno's becoming more & more manipulated(what an ending, huh?). It was very militaristic, I agree, ala Goldsmith's own Patton & MacArthur scores. Glad you took a chance on it. I'll be waiting to hear your review of Flyboys!
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post

Oh, the actual Blue Max is like a flying cross, and Germany's highest medal for kills for a combat pilot.
    Though he's from WWII, He's the Ace of Aces. You won't believe how many kills this guy had:http://www.acepilots.com/misc_hartmann.html
    It's been a while since I've seen The Blue Max. Wasn't the George Peppard character tormented by losing his buddy or rival to a double-dog-dare, where he got killed flying under a bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Wasn't the George Peppard character tormented by losing his buddy or rival to a double-dog-dare, where he got killed flying under a bridge?
    Yes and no -you got the right movie. However, Peppard's character was sleeping with his rival's lover, who was also that same rival's young Aunt by marriage. It was a twisted, scandalous triangle. That and the social-class challenge (Peppard was low-born and trying to prove himself), prompted much of the rivalry and that dare. Peppard didn't want his rival dead though - but it wasn't really his fault.

Thanks for the information about Erich Hartmann. I'm starting a thread about World War II movies. I'm sure you'll enjoy jumping in.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Oh, the actual Blue Max is like a flying cross, and Germany's highest medal for kills for a combat pilot. That's what Peppard's character is after in this movie (besides the wife of one of his commanding officers who's loose enough to already be sleeping with her nephew by marriage. Go figure.)
    I've never seen the movie but I just can't stop myself from giving proper information.

The Blue Max was not just a flying cross (which would've been tough since it was instituted back in the 1700's or so.) but it's most famous recipients were individuals from the flying corps during WWI. It's named after Max Immelman who, along with Oswald Boelcke, was one of the first aces of WWI. At first you only needed 5 kills to earn it but once pilots started downing planes at high rates the number steadily climbed. Irwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, won the award for capturing thousands of Italians in WWI.

And now you know and knowing is half the battle.

Sadly, once again, all of that was from memory.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!