Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Opened a bunch of figures up

Unfortunately, my collection has grown beyond my ability to store, and so I've had to make the decision to open what I want to keep, and sell what I really don't care for. I've decided to open and keep what I consider to be the best version of the "iconic" characters from the OT and PT, army builders from the OT and PT, figures that are worth relatively little but have cool accessories I would like to keep from the OT, and Tatooine/Cantina/Palace figures that I don't have opened already. I bought some clear plastic bait boxes and organizers with handles to store them in.

Here's what I have opened over the last week or so:

Rebels:
    Hoth Rebel Soldier- Goes nicely with a deluxe trooper I have open already
    Rebel Fleet Trooper GC- This guy kinda sucks... even worse off the card
    Rebel Fleet Trooper POTJ- Ahhh! Much better. This is a great figure!
    Luke Commtech and Luke FF- I'm now thinking about picking up a SAGA2 luke to open and keeping all these accessories and dumping the other looseys. I'd be left with a sort of ultimate Luke! I really like the new SAGA likeness... I'll have to see about articulation.
    Chewie OC- I needed a bowcaster to go with the Chewie I already have open- Cloud City Chewie, an old fave.
    Ben OC- My favorite modern Ben, as the soft goods on the VOTC tend to billow.

Imperials: - I already have a lot of imperials loose, Lotsa sandys, VOTC stormies, VOTC Vader etc. These make the army more diverse and bigger-
    Snowtrooper GC now I have 2 loose!
    POTJ Imperial Officer this is a sweet figure. POTJ really took figures to a new level. I want another!
    Death Star Droid FF This thing is really cool. Interestingly, his paint job was starting to liquify in the package where his hand hits the bubble. also, I seem to remember him being black... he has changed to more of a Deep, dark, metallic purple.
    ATST Driver Sucky figure, but I needed a loose one.
    Stormtrooper OC- looks pretty lame next to my 2 VOTC stormies!
    Vader commtech- all I want is the chip and the interrogation droid!

Tatooine:
    Jawa / GONK- I always wanted to open this guy up for the GONK droid, and while cool, how do you stand him up with that walking action feature?!
    POTJ Sandpeople- Looks alot better off the card. The plastic detailing on his robes are great and he holds the rifle really great. A new favorite!

Palace:- I have almost every Palace figure open any way, but not these until now!
    Leia Slave with Barge Cannon- what can I say, really cool!
    Ree-Yees- Very nice
    SOTE Boussh- Looks a lot better off the card and in her helmet.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

To fix the Gonk, get a clear rubberband from one of the figures you just opened and wrap it around his ankles. And now you have a standing GONK.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Congrats on the opening of figures! One thing I've found hard about that lately is how oversized their accessories are, there's no way I'm going to be able to arm all the figures that need imperial blasters with the new smaller one (VT had made it a pet project to help me with this actually).

Hoth Rebel Trooper, is that the POTF2 one or the horrid Saga one? I don't have an issue with the POTF2 one, although it is a bit dated, but that Saga freaky under-scale figure...

RFT - Rebel Freak Trooper, it felt like *such* a long time until the POTJ one.

POTJ RFT - my only complaint is that his weapon is too small.

Freeze-Frame Luke's only unique accessory is the blastshield helmet. So you'd need that, the long rifle from Flashback Photo Floppy Hat Luke (who is the only one whose belt can accomodate the macrobinoculars unfortunately), the hat and binoculars and everything else from Saga2 Luke, and the T-16 model and scraping tool from Commtech Luke. Man, they really spread this stuff out! Saga2 Luke shares Commtech Luke's body, so the articulation is of course identical.

Orange Card buff-short Chewie just for his bowcaster, ouch! And it's not even THAT good, it's recognizable but not very accurate.

Orange Card Ben is your favorite even with the high collar and split-robe? I prefer the Flashback Photo version for the plastic robe needs, but to be honest no 1 Ben figure really does it for me.

I have a lot of Green Card Snowtroopers too, I prefer them over the Saga version.

On the POTJ Imp Officer, keep in mind Hasbro re-released him a few times in the Saga line with slight changes, so if you go after him on ebay, don't constrain yourself to just POTJ.

Death Star Droid was always purple, but that sucks about his paint liquifying. Hasbro has a real poor track record with paint-on-chrome. Still a cool fig though.

I don't think the AT-ST Driver is that bad, but I did consider replacing him with General Han in AT-ST disguise.

I have a dozen of those Orange Card Stormies, it's so sad. Put them behind CTC or VOTC Stormies and it's not as bad though.

POTJ Tusken Raider is good, but I prefer the Saga headless Tusken Raider slightly, and now the VTSC version.

I still haven't opened my POTJ dlx Leia with Sail Barge Cannon yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II View Post
    To fix the Gonk, get a clear rubberband from one of the figures you just opened and wrap it around his ankles. And now you have a standing GONK.
    I prefer around the base of his feet, less movement that way.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I believe my day to open is coming real soon as I am running out of room.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II View Post
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    I believe my day to open is coming real soon as I am running out of room.
    It's like Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Congrats on the opening of figures! One thing I've found hard about that lately is how oversized their accessories are, there's no way I'm going to be able to arm all the figures that need imperial blasters with the new smaller one (VT had made it a pet project to help me with this actually).
    Yeah, that's a problem for sure with blasters. I remember the first figure I opened with a correctly scaled imperial blaster was Cloud City Chewie and wondering why they hadn't done them that way in the first place! Honestly, though, I only have a few POTF2 figures opened up that come equipped with blasters, so it isn't really a problem. The most offensive is the Han blaster. Those things look plain dumb.

Hoth Rebel Trooper, is that the POTF2 one or the horrid Saga one? I don't have an issue with the POTF2 one, although it is a bit dated, but that Saga freaky under-scale figure...
    POTF2. I passed on the SAGA one. I hated the pose. Although I now remember that I opened a SAGA Endor Trooper, and it is posed just as badly. Nobody stands like that.

RFT - Rebel Freak Trooper, it felt like *such* a long time until the POTJ one.

POTJ RFT - my only complaint is that his weapon is too small.
    Yeah, they look pretty goofy standing next to each other. The Freak is chewie sized and the other one is pretty small. I really wish this figure could be revisited with SA.

Freeze-Frame Luke's only unique accessory is the blastshield helmet. So you'd need that, the long rifle from Flashback Photo Floppy Hat Luke (who is the only one whose belt can accomodate the macrobinoculars unfortunately), the hat and binoculars and everything else from Saga2 Luke, and the T-16 model and scraping tool from Commtech Luke. Man, they really spread this stuff out! Saga2 Luke shares Commtech Luke's body, so the articulation is of course identical.
    Well, dang, I was gonna use the Landspeeder Luke for the Rifle. the Macrobinocs... hmmm. Actually, I'm probably going to use the newest Luke for the figure, but I want to have a look at him OOP first before deciding.

Orange Card Ben is your favorite even with the high collar and split-robe? I prefer the Flashback Photo version for the plastic robe needs, but to be honest no 1 Ben figure really does it for me.
    I like OC Ben because his hood is down. I really wish VOTC Ben had been a little better. I also wish they would have released him with his ROTJ cardback instead, but that's another thread!

POTJ Tusken Raider is good, but I prefer the Saga headless Tusken Raider slightly, and now the VTSC version.
    I missed out on SAGA2 Tusky as I did a lot of other figs. There were just too many that year. I'll look into him though, as I would like a couple more loose ones. I'm hoping to run across on e of these rumoured $3 ones at Target, but I don't think its happening.

I still haven't opened my POTJ dlx Leia with Sail Barge Cannon yet.
    A very impressive figure with "real" hair braid and cloth skirt.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I moved a couple of weeks ago, and im gradually opening up the boxes i had tossed my Star Wars figures into for the move. Ive got eight 50 gallon totes holding my figures and vehicles in the houses 2nd garage that i need to go through too, but i want to take inventory of what all ive got and i think that im going to end up being able to open a couple of them when i run across the better versions that Hasbro has released recently.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000 View Post
    Yeah, that's a problem for sure with blasters. I remember the first figure I opened with a correctly scaled imperial blaster was Cloud City Chewie and wondering why they hadn't done them that way in the first place!
    I bought a second POTJ Bespin Leia and Lando for the extra blasters, I'm a goober that way.

I passed on the SAGA one. I hated the pose. Although I now remember that I opened a SAGA Endor Trooper, and it is posed just as badly. Nobody stands like that.
    But he's crazy super action man! Yeah, Saga kinda screwed up SW collecting with those action poses meant to go with the blast effects, it took a while for Hasbro to back off.

Yeah, they look pretty goofy standing next to each other. The Freak is chewie sized and the other one is pretty small. I really wish this figure could be revisited with SA.
    I have mine together like that, it's pretty sad. The kneeling POTJ one is ok though.

Well, dang, I was gonna use the Landspeeder Luke for the Rifle. the Macrobinocs... hmmm. Actually, I'm probably going to use the newest Luke for the figure, but I want to have a look at him OOP first before deciding.
    Landspeeder Luke, I didn't get him so forgot all about that. If you have it, that's fine. TSC Luke has the macrobinocs too but they don't clip onto his belt unfortunately, but I'd still just stick with that.

I like OC Ben because his hood is down. I really wish VOTC Ben had been a little better. I also wish they would have released him with his ROTJ cardback instead, but that's another thread!
    Yeah, VOTC Ben should have been better, and his robe shouldn't have been so crazy. Try putting a Jedi robe on POTJ old man Obi-Wan, that's an ok figure too but has no robe at all.

I missed out on SAGA2 Tusky as I did a lot of other figs. There were just too many that year. I'll look into him though, as I would like a couple more loose ones. I'm hoping to run across on e of these rumoured $3 ones at Target, but I don't think its happening.
    You mean Saga1 right? Because Saga2 is this year. The trouble with finding the Saga Tusken Raider is that they released a few too many in a short time, the one I'm talking about is from '03, it's #06, "Tusken Raider (Tatooine Camp Ambush)": http://www.rebelscum.com/sw0306tuskenraidertca.asp

I picked up a couple VTSC Tuskens for $3 at Target, but they've all sold out here now. They're already gathering dust in my collection, the cloth elements pick it up like a featherduster.

A very impressive figure with "real" hair braid and cloth skirt.
    Cool, I'll have to open mine soon, no idea why I never did.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JT
    Try putting a Jedi robe on POTJ old man Obi-Wan, that's an ok figure too but has no robe at all.
    I did that and he looks great. I didn't get the VOTC Ben, so I don't thinkI have a decent Ben to put in the Landspeeder.

Maybe it's just me, but there is something awkard about every Tusken Raider, especially the headless one. I like the POTJ mold the best. Unless I'm miskaken, it was repanted in a later line.

Well, all the OT Tuskens are given more robes than they actually had in the movie, it makes them wider. Also, the heads are always a little off, even on the VTSC one. The POTJ mold is of the Ep 1 Tusken and is a little different than the OT design, it has a higher collar and no breather canister, that POTJ one was repainted as the Saga Tusken with Massif figure.

I forgot a bout the Tusken with Massif because I didn't buy it. What I was thinking of was the repainted POTJ Tusken that came out in the OTC line. They put some extra paint on his robes and his mask and belt are a darker color than the POTJ version.