Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fanzoids

I finally saw the movie, and I must say, I enjoyed it. It was nowhere near the scale of Trekkies, which I enjoyed.

My fiance got a kick out of the guy who plans his "hunt" cause often I'll stop by Wal-Mart after work just to check, or we'll be out shopping and I have to take a detour to the toy aisle.

Another good documentary on fans is Bruce Campbell's "Fanalysis" which is on the new "Evil Dead: Book of the Dead" DVD. There are some pretty wierd people in that one too. Some Star Wars, Star Trek, Anime, etc. Its also a nice light-hearted exploritory piece into the medium.

I still don't like "Trekkies." I'm not sure if that movie was made for Trekkies or for people to watch to make fun of and cringe at the same time.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    Another good documentary on fans is Bruce Campbell's "Fanalysis" which is on the new "Evil Dead: Book of the Dead" DVD. There are some pretty wierd people in that one too. Some Star Wars, Star Trek, Anime, etc. Its also a nice light-hearted exploritory piece into the medium.
    Definatly. I was impressed to see that being a celebrity hasn't gone to his head like so many stars. It's neat to see that he likes to meet the fans and get to know them, as well as answer their fan mail as well as E-mail. Lucas should have cast him as Bail Organa over Jimmy Smits.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Binks, was Campell rumored to be up for the role? I do like Smits, but this is interesting

Wolfwood, I'm glad you liked StarWoids! I personally have not seen Trekkies, but I would like to take a look for myself. It's one thing to feature crazy fans, but there's room for manipulation by showing only the most extreme, plus that kind of footage can really be edited to slam the fans unfairly

Jango, no luck on the preview figs or the Aurra Masterpiece Actually, the guy from StarWoids would be pretty disappointed in my planning yesterday - more on that tomorrow . . .

Originally posted by Caesar
    Binks, was Campell rumored to be up for the role? I do like Smits, but this is interesting
    Nah, It's more of a case of me making a smart arsed comment about the fact Lucas likes to work with somewhat unknown actors for his movies, and using Jimmy Smits just seems out of place. Besides, how could you not love seeing Bruce "Don't Call Me Ash" Campell's giant face in a Star Wars film. I can imagine it now, "Shop Smart, Shop Star-Mart" Heck, throw him in as a remaining Jedi in Episode III that gets his hand cut off and attaches a lightsaber to the stump.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Trekkies didn't just have the hardcore fans in it. The movie covered the general range of "Trekkies." But being labled a trekkie must mean your pretty hardcore to begin with. I'm a fan of Star Trek, I liked the original and Next Generation, but it ends there, and I don't consider myself a trekkie by any stretch of the term. I think a Trekkie in general is pretty hardcore, hence the unique label.

Most of the fans in Trekkies were about what I'd expect, but there were a few that really make you kind of feel sorry for them. These people have really nothing else going for them. That's the part I didn't like about the movie, and it made me wonder if this movie was made for Trekkies or the general public.

Caesar, if you havent seen Trekkies yet, you need to.
    It is funny and I always look at it when I need a good laugh.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

. . . So I had my entire trip planned perfectly to be time efficient. My first stop was a mall with a Waldenbooks, because I would really love that Aurra Masterpiece to go with my Vader and Threeps Editions (both also obtained through clearance )

I arrive, go in through a "Wal-Mart" type competitor, hit their toy section, and head to the mall entrance. Plenty of people walking around, and as I stumble past the usually worthless KayBee, I notice their gate is drawn. Hmm, must be a bit late in opening. Then another closed store. And another. I look around, those people I mentioned ?

MALL WALKERS

Gah ! The mall is closed. My watch reads 9:25 am, must open in 5 minutes ? Nope, not til 10. So I head out, take care of Target and KMart while waiting but waste time with the extra travel. When I did get back to the mall they were out of Aurra's but I did snag a consolation 2nd Edition Freddy Kruger on clearance at KB for 6 bones.

Overall, a pretty unproductive "run", one that would be shameful in the eyes of the StarWoids collector

I'll have to watch Trekkies, I'm curious to see how the filmmakers approached the topic.

Hey Caesar,
    Dont feel bad man. We have all had those unproductive runs. I can think of many times where I have gone toy hunting and come home with nothing. Just last week on my birthday I took off work and went toy hunting. I covered over 100 miles on my car and I was only able to score 1 LEGO set. I really had my hopes set on the BoShek wave (wishful thinking) or the AT-ST.
    Thats how things go sometimes in this hobby. But when we do find the stuff, its the best feeling in the world to get it.
    By the way, in Trekkies, there is this one collector (who is about 15-16 years old) who goes to a convention and then they show him hitting like Suncoast or something like that looking for new loot. Then in his room he shows off his figures, ships, etc. He has alot of the Star Trek figs on his shelf, but behind there he has a nice little collection of red-carded POTF2 figs. Of course nothing was mentioned about that.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

I think a good average of a productive run is about 20%. If you find what your looking for once out of every 5 times you go out, I think your on top of things. I think stores generally get in new shipments on Tuesdays, because I've always found the "big scores" on a Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure we'll never see that Bo Shek wave on store shelves, ever. I did manage to see the AT-ST sets a few weeks ago, but they were gone by the end of the day.

Those mall walkers scare the hell out of me too. Now I make sure to get to the mall after 10.

Perhaps the malls will begin charging them to walk there, and it will scare them away.
    That would be great for us, because we fear the mall walkers.