Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fanzoids

Fanzoids

Has anyone seen "Fanzoids"? It is an independent documentary about Star Wars fans and it also looks at the line for EP1 in 1999.
    It has a fan displaying his collection, and even a woman who drives an "X-Wing" toyota!! It is a great film if you love Star Wars and you enjoy seeing other fans. I personally think it is funny in some spots (mainly the guy who is obsessed with collecting) because it reminds me so much of myself!! If you havent seen it, go get it and check it out. I got mine at Suncoast on DVD for $19.95. It also has a commentary by director Kevin Smith.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Was it also released as Starwoids? I have seen it for sale (this one also has a Kevin Smith contribution) and I am quite tempted to buy it.

It probably is the same thing. It is a really good movie. The best part about it, to me, is the collector. It shows him going to Target, TRU, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc at 6am in the morning and he talks about making "the run" to find the newest toys. Later on it shows him in California at some of the spots where some of the Tatooine scenes were filmed in ANH. I really recommend this film.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

If its anything like that movie "Trekkies", count me out. I don't like seeing documentaries on fans that take it too far. It just gives a bad rap to fans in general, IMO.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I understand your perspective Wolfwood, but for me that is the exact reason I want to see it. As a fan / casual collector, I find the few extremists to be pretty funny to watch.

I agree Caesar. Personally I think Trekkies is hillarious. Fanzoids isnt quite as funny, but there are some spots in the film (mainly the toy collector) that related to me and therefore I thought they were funny.

Jango96, I just got a copy of Starwoids and had MANY laughs! The guy planning his SW hunting schedule was classic, the turmoil within the Countingdown line was hilarious, and there were many other things that really made me

I thought it was a nice touch to include an interview with Phil Brown. And the inclusion of the Insider's Scott Chernoff was a surprise.

I am glad you liked it Caesar!! Now we need to get a bunch more other fans to watch it so they will know what we are talking about!!

Originally posted by JangoFett96
    Now we need to get a bunch more other fans to watch it so they will know what we are talking about!!
    Agreed

Wolfwood, now that I have seen this DVD documentary, I still agree with your position. But I don't think there's a market anywhere for this thing other than within the SW fan community. Hence, there's only room for laughter and criticisms amongst ourselves. If I'm not mistaken, Trekkies was a much wider release, with a broader marketing campaign to it. In that case, I agree that it gives fans a bad rap.

Jango96, what do you think of the hip hop Boba Fett? I thought it was funny, the way he outfitted his Rebo band with headphones and turntables

I've had this DVD since October 16th when it was released alongside TPM. Great look at the fan frenzy that was rampant for E1. And it didn't really paint the Star Wars fans in a bad light like "Trekkies" did Star Trek fans. I hope someone takes the time to do a E2 line documentary, though since the hype is less rabid this time, I doubt it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.