Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stroke Identification

Tonight I got an email that my Mom had forwarded to me. One of the people I thought of while reading it was Tycho. I also thought you all might want to know this in case to help a family member or friend.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters...S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously.. Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
    During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
    It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
    Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!
    Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
    Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
    T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
    (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)
    R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their
    tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with
    ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately !! and describe the
    symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to
    10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Nice facts. Thanks Dr.evanzan
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Yes good stuff there Doc, about 2-3 years ago a had a few of those symptoms. But my stupid male "I'm fine" ego overulled my better judgement and I didn't seek any medical attention. Luckily nothing came of it.

I thought this was going to be about that program that supposedly can identify a specific individual based on his keystroke pattern, which I think is complete bunk.

This is good to know though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I heard you can do this for concussions or head injuries. In fact, when I was in my car accident (hit from behind, spun around and flipped over onto the side grass incline), one of the first things I thought of was after I made it out of the car, was this email someone had forwarded to me. So I smiled, spoke clearly, and lifted my arms. People thought I was weird [people still do]
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

this is very good info, all too often people, especially older folks, tend to ignore or diminish the importance of symptoms that seem vague or they just don't want to spoil the event at hand. Unfortunately the time frame to possibly reverse the effects of a brain attack or stroke is a small window around the 4-6 hour mark, as well as the time frame for similar symptoms for the heart. When vague and small symptoms appear these are warning signs, by the time people call for the ambulance there is nothing we can do for them to help try and turn around what has occured. Its a shame and more people need to know what to look for. When I teach community based CPR I wish more people would come out and learn about it, especially the people from the elderly communities that are prevalent in the area I work, they could certainly benefit from a little knowledge.
    Order66

excellent traders; Val Da Car, Dark Marble, Commtech and info from KidHuman
    Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

Thinking back over my EMT training in the mid-90's, asking questions to determine mental clarity were pretty standard (name, date, what day of week it was) for any head trauma. Something that the email above didn't really go into too much was / is that there are physical symptoms to make you ask the STR questions. In this particular case the lady 'tripped'. Try to remember the questions if there is a fall, maybe a loss of balance, the cause of an (car) accident. When you ask the STR questions be observant of the left side vs the right side (smile, raised arms) and of slurred speech.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I took my paramedic class almost 10 years ago now, and have been in EMS for 13. We use the signs you pointed out and it is referred to as the cincinnati Stroke scale, it has recently become the standard for helping to determine any deficits suggesting a stroke. What you say is right, looking for unilateral weakness and signs and symptoms that are specific to the particular affected side of the brain.
    Order66

excellent traders; Val Da Car, Dark Marble, Commtech and info from KidHuman
    Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

I only take tips on this matter from Billy Squier.

i don't know if "reverse" the effects of the stroke is the right thing to say, however... damage done is damage done. the quicker you respond to symptoms is the less damage that's done, which can then IN TIME be assuaged by rehabilitation. i doubt there's anything that can reverse the damage instantaneously, or over time for that matter. stroke rehabilitation is about re-routing the brain's functions to new areas that aren't damaged by the stroke. the brain is an amazing system of redundant backups which are put to the ultimate test when faced with something as destructive as a stroke.

read me!

me too!

and me!!!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope