Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

World War TWO movies

OK, at Rocketboy's request, I will not load this forum with all the WWII titles I am about to watch. I'll BOLD the title of the film I bring up and of course people will be free to discuss what they want. Pearl Harbor and U-571, and though not a war movie, Schindler's List, all have their own threads. Band of Brothers has its own thread in the TV section here: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums...=Band+Brothers

We'll start with SAVING PRIVATE RYAN as I just watched this and I want to immediately watch it again. This is one of the greatest war movies ever made, and I doubt the Normandy Invasion on D-Day could have ever been done better. Incidents in the movie such as when one of the squad got killed as they took out the radar station and then one of the boys wanted to mutiny and Capt. Miller finally told them he was a school teacher from Pennsylvania were extraordinarily powerful.

When they found Private Ryan, his determination to do his duty and hold that bridge against the German tanks was made of stuff admirable in every hero in every war movie.

I love the change that the corporal who's a coward goes through. I forgot his name for the moment, but when the German he didn't stop before becomes his prisoner, he just shoots him when he calls his name. Spielberg really demonstrated what war does to people.

Upham - that was it. Corporal Upham. Then BANG!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Saving Private Ryan is a damned good movie. It's probably the best WWII movie I've seen.

I'd like to recommend two other excellent WWII films, both dealing more with civilians during the Holocaust: The Pianist and Life Is Beautiful.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I can't stand Upum in Saving Private Ryan. Otherwise its an AWESOME flick, the landing sequence can't be beat.

I saw Life is Beatiful in the theater way back in.... '99? I thought it was a good flick personally.

Enemy at the Gates is a good WW2 flick. Takes place in Russia.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Anbody ever see The Longest Day, it has John Wayne, Sean Connery and a zillion other people. While I've heard great things about it I have to say I thought it wasn't that great of a flick.

I remember the first time I saw Saving Private Ryan. I thought it was really boring and dragged on and on and on.
    This was before I knew or understood much about WWII. Now, I love the living carp out of this movie. Even Vin Diesel is good!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I saw The Longest Day as a kid. Too many stars, not enough character development. I've since heard Saving P. Ryan is more historically accurate. I'm a big Steve McQueen Fan, so The Great Escape ranks as one of my favorites(check it out Tycho!). Also, The Sand Pebbles(Steve's only Oscar nomination), which is an anomaly since it takes place after WWI, but before WWII. There are so many good ones: A Bridge Too Far, Tycho, definitely check out Battle of Britain for WWII aerial combat; U571(that depth charge scene in surround stereo still gives me the willies), Das Boot, The Big Red One(restored version), A Midnight Clear, God...I could go one forever, and haven't even touched on the older B&W's like Hell Is For Heroes, etc. I just picked up The Devil's Brigade(true story), which is very good, also. This list could be infinity.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

IMDB had an interesting "fact" about Cpl. Upham: He's supposed to represent the viewer, seeing war for the first time. I'm not sure how well that works for me, but I can see where Spielberg was coming from.

I always get mad at Upham. From the start of the film his character grinds me, and after Mellish gets it (in one of the most disturbing deaths EVER in a movie) I honestly get mad.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

The best WWII airplane movies are "Tora Tora Tora" and "Battle of Britain" The first is more of a docudrama, but very well done. With more flying scenes than Pearl Harbor. Also told from the Japanese point of view. The second is also kind of a docudrama, with a little more character development. The only movie I've ever seen with actual German manufactured aircraft, and more British Spitfires and Hurricanes you will ever see. Also told with a German point of view. Lots of famous stars in both these flicks. Both historically accurate. Both warplane lovers dream movies.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    IMDB had an interesting "fact" about Cpl. Upham: He's supposed to represent the viewer, seeing war for the first time. I'm not sure how well that works for me, but I can see where Spielberg was coming from.

I always get mad at Upham. From the start of the film his character grinds me, and after Mellish gets it (in one of the most disturbing deaths EVER in a movie) I honestly get mad.
    Hmmm. I can sort of see that. From the beginning, he's totally disoriented, and he makes some awful decisions that he'll have to live with forever.
    Tommy, close your eyes.