Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long do you think it will be until MR makes an Obi-Wan FX saber from TPM?

This is my pet Master Replicas project: get Obi-Wan's TPM / AOTC blade Force FX produced! It's my favorite lightsaber in all the films.

I will buy it the minute it becomes available and carry it to all conventions and many sci-fi films that I'd go to: I mean Spider-Man 3, Transformers, etc. - there would be Tycho with his Obi-Wan TPM Force FX blade!

So when is it going to happen?

I can see them doing Qui-Gon's first - they just put out a blue Obi-Wan blade from ROTS / ANH.

I heard they have been struggling with the size on a small green Yoda AOTC / ROTS blade.

I'd long for a Dooku red if they can engineer it.

They've said before that Palpatine's would be very awkward or offscale - and it's not a top interest of mine anyway.

But I mean Obi-Wan's must be done!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I bet they'll do one. MR has kind of a full plate now, but I'm willing to guess that they'll do/announce a new FX by the end of the year.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I've been wondering this too, I want them to do the AOTC mini saber and this FX version would be a good compliment piece to that. (The AOTC saber is different from the TPM version in a few small but notable ways like the finish and a slight size change). My guess is that they'll probably get around to it sometime in the next 18 months, it's one of the last multi-movie sabers they haven't Force FX-ed yet and with the 30th anniversary next year they're going to have great demand for Force FX sabers.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah - there are only so many sabers they can sell for the main characters:

TPM

Obi-Wan
    Qui-Gon
    Darth Maul - DONE

AOTC

Obi-Wan
    Anakin
    Dooku
    Yoda
    Mace Windu - DONE
    (sure there's peripherary Jedi, but is there high demand for Kit Fisto's lightsaber?)

ROTS

Obi-Wan - DONE
    Anakin - DONE
    Palpatine
    Dooku - what's the difference from AOTC
    Yoda - what's the difference from AOTC?
    Mace - what's the difference from AOTC?
    General Grievous - very generic, but possible
    peripherary Jedi like Ki-Adi Mundi won't be highly demanded

ANH

Luke (DONE as Anakin's ROTS, really)
    Obi-Wan (DONE as Obi-Wan's ROTS really)
    Vader - DONE

ESB

Vader - DONE (can't even tell there's a difference from ANH)

ROTJ

Luke - DONE
    Vader (same as ESB really)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

They did Anakin's AOTC saber as well, it was the very first Force FX saber ever, it had the EL paper lighting for the blade rather than LEDs.

There is a hilt difference between Dooku's 2 sabers, there's a coloring change at one section near the can-shaped pommel (the ROTS version is superior, all chrome) and a few other minor changes.

Grievous has 4 generic saber hilts and they change occasionally in the movie, at one point they're identical to Obi-Wan's saber which is confusing, it's not worth doing at all IMO as they really are just periphery.

Both instances of this statement from you are wrong, totally and utterly incorrect, the ROTS saber is based on the original ANH and ESB designs overall but is heavily different in almost every single detail from the knobs and buttons to the activation box, band, recharge port, number of grips, and belt clip.

MR has already covered the Luke ESB saber as an FX, but not the ANH saber which has a few notable differences.

(ANH) Obi-Wan (DONE as Obi-Wan's ROTS really)
    Again, not at all correct, just like Luke's saber the ROTS Obi-Wan saber while based on the ANH saber is heavily different in nearly every single detail, plus the ANH Ben saber is weathered to boot. I would like to see them do this down the line at some point, but I'm not jonesing for it.

(ESB) Vader - DONE (can't even tell there's a difference from ANH)
    There's a difference in some external wiring on the ESB saber anda difference in the grips and a change to the orientation of the activation box.

(ROTJ) Vader (same as ESB really)
    Not even remotely, it's 100% different right down to the base prop it's created from, the shape of the emitter shroud, the activation box, every single detail on the ROTJ Vader saber is different from the others, this one has not yet been done.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Geeze JT - you've studied lightsabers rather thorougly. Are you spending all your time trying to build a real one? Are you a Jedi Knight?

The resources are out there, you just have to search the web for them using the right combinations of terms. Star Wars technology has always been a big draw to me and lightsabers are at the forefront of that. I'm not even close to an expert though, there are guys who build replicas and stuff that could rattle off exacting details like why a hilt is definitely a 2-cell Graflex instead of a 3-cell one. And if you look at MR's prop replicas, from their minis to their FX's to their LEs, you'll see they really do cover all these changes.

TPM Obi is on top of my list. By design, this one should lend itself very well to the FX treatment.

JediTricks is correct, there are minor and major differences between the movies. The story behind the abomination that is ROTJ Vader, is that they modified ESB Luke's saber as they lost Vader's prop. You can even see the drill holes left over from the ESB job. What's the canon explanation behind these discrepancies? Who knows, who CARES, just enjoy the movie!

Just a couple of months ago I knew next to nothing about sabers, but as I got into MR minis, it didn't take too long to form a clearer mental picture of the details.

The difference between ANH Vader and ESB is very small but noticable, the multi-tooth metal coil around the emitter inside the shroud for one. The faux wires and stuff on the outside for two.

Quote Originally Posted by James31278 View Post
    The difference between ANH Vader and ESB is very small but noticable, the multi-tooth metal coil around the emitter inside the shroud for one. The faux wires and stuff on the outside for two.
    Also, the grips are noticably different in height, and the activation box is at a different angle. I didn't notice the change in design in that coil you mentioned, I remember seeing it on the mini ESB saber and they replicated a similar design on the ANH FX saber.