Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Just out of curiosity, has anybody else seen this flick? I caught this weekend and its' definately one of the best movies of the year. Great performances, great soundtrack. I'll post my full review if anybody else has seen it.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I never heard of it. What's it about?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Here is the synopsis from Yahoo movies:

"The Hoover family treks from Albuquerque to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant in Redondo Beach, California, to fulfill the deepest wish of 7-year-old Olive, an ordinary little girl with big dreams. Along the way the family must deal with crushed dreams, heartbreaks, and a broken-down VW bus, leading up to the surreal Little Miss Sunshine competition itself. On their travels through this bizarre landscape, the Hoovers learn to trust and support each other along the path of life, no matter what the challenge. "

and here's a link to the trailer page from apple: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...emisssunshine/

Great movie!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Viva la Cuba was similar - only two kids, a little boy and a little girl, embark on a similar journey but all by themselves.

Sunshine sounds like it might be a good story - and I'd appreciate something different from my "magazine cartridge" full of war movies I've been shooting off about
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I've heard good things about this movie but I have yet to see it. Now I really want to see it!

I saw the previews and it looks funny. Will check it on DVD.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'd love to see it, but so far, it's only playing in a theater about 40-45 minutes away.
    I'm hoping it gets a wider release in the next few weeks.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

i've been wanting to see it but haven't had time. please post a review JMG and if it really piques my interest, i'll make the time to see it.

This film looks great. I really look forward to seeing this. The great films are always the ones that seem like they are about nothing, but because it touches a deep human element. A major quality that the fluff job movies lack.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    i've been wanting to see it but haven't had time. please post a review JMG and if it really piques my interest, i'll make the time to see it.
    Done and done!

"Little Miss Sunshine"- Every few years or so, you see a movie that just kicks you in the teeth, slaps you in the face and elbows you in the stomach. It sends such a trascend race, gender, sexual orientation, and time and is relentless in what is wants to tell you. Does the flick deliver it verbally, right out for you to see? Heavens no, but it's there if you're looking. LMS is a film that does just that. It's dark, brutal, unforgiving, and hysterical. The flick starts off with a montage of who we are dealing with: Greg Kinnear is a man trying to see his 9 step self help program; Toni Collete is his wife, who is running to the hospital to check on her brother, Steve Carell who is recovering from an "accident." Next we have Grandpa, played by deliciously by Alan Arkin who is assisting in the training of young Olive, who is played FANTASTICALLY by Abigail Breslin (Bo from "Signs") and lastly, we have Dwayne, played by Paul dano, who has taken a vow of silence until he gets into the air force. It's a mismash of characters, each with their own issues they have to work through. One thing leads to another and soon we have the family driving young Abigail to the Little Miss Sunshine pageant, some 700 miles west of their home in Alberqerque. What makes the movie great to watch is simply the cast is outstanding. Each character shines and their performances are perfection. Carell was shocking to see as he gives the character of Frank such a fantastic depth and sense of pain and redemption. Dano is terrific as, with the vow of silence, he is rendered speechless and has to work with his mannerisms, facial expression and his loyal pad and paper. Words can't express how terrifc this cast performs. Each character knows their flaws and they realize not only do they have to act on their will, but they need each other as well.

The score needs mention too: first time film directors Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris (who, loyal Pumpkinheads will remember: directed a slew of music videos for bands, including, what, like 10 for the Smashing Pumpkins?) got colorado based band Devotchka (whose song, "how it ends" is a personal fave) to do the soundtrack/score along with Mychael Danna ("Capote"). When the flick started off, you hear the first few keys to "How it Ends", but obviously, they change it around to contrast the film and the vocals aren't heard. But, how they incorporated the tender, almost melancholy (no Pumpkin joke intended here, kids!) and bring each one of these characters to light is just genius. In fact, that was one of my only gripes with the flick: they keep going back to that instrumental setup from "How it Ends" and it underlies a lot of the film. I just kept tapping my foot to the beat and losing myself in the strings and guitar. The film has several Devotchka songs worked into it, instrumentally of course, and along for is Sufjan Stevens, who does two tracks to the flick. Oddly enough, no tunes from Billy Corgan and Co, but no worries here.

My buddy Ron tried to get me to give him a brief blip of the flick. I said, "Think 'Royal Tenenbaums' on a road trip." He asked, "Better?" and after hesitation, i replied, "Yes, it is." That good. That amazing. Rating- **** out of **** and come to think of it, my only complaint: not enough snakes.