Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sci-Fi Channel cancels Stargate SG1, keeps Atlantis

What kind of horsecrap is this? Atlantis is ok, but the best thing about the show is the themesong. SG1 just got rolling on a whole new storyline and now it's kaput?!? They've only run the show 5 out of its 10 years, 5 years isn't really that long a run for sci-fi shows anymore when they're still a draw. Maybe it's Ben Browder and Claudia Black, who were on the also-beloved sci-fi series Farscape that Sci-Fi Channel pulled the plug on prematurely. All I know is I'd much rather watch SG1 than Atlantis.

Here's the news release on the cancellation:
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=37607

Farscape, Sliders, SG1... all cancelled while still popular with either fans or new viewers for no good reason, screw you again Sci-Fi Channel!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

that sucks. maybe now they can pick up surface and invasion.the networks are stupid when it come to there decisions..
    your my boy blue, oh kid you can't play with that 1995 action figure.It's not a toy,it's a collectors item. woman just let the boy play with it. i will let you play you play with a man's collectors item later tonight when were all alone.(woman)yeah when you dust it off....

I never watched either but, as an outsider, one could easily tell that the show had an amazing following! That really seems like a stupid decision!! Ooooh... need to tell my friend Jess.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The low blow doesn't stop at cancelling despite tons of fans, but they just celebrated the 200th episode last Friday and episode 203 breaks the X-Files' record on longest running sci-fi show. I really hate the way they announced it too, first it goes around by word-of-mouth and then they finally release info.

The producers have mentioned that they're looking for ways to continue SG1 in other ways, no details so far though.

While I'm glad there will be at least Stargate Atlantis, I think this is truly ridiculous as they should have let the season finish before announcing the cancellation. While people aren't taking it too badly so far, if they try to treat it like Farscape where it wasn't able to finish the season nor have a series finale, there will surely be hell to pay.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The producers of SG1 were considering a big follow-up movie, and then Dean "No, I didn't plagerize Stargate" Devlin put his foot down saying that since they couldn't make a Stargate movie sequel because of the show, the show can't make a movie.

Yeah, waiting until everybody was flying high about the 200th episode was a cheap shot, they should be ashamed.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They didn't mention the movie idea, but they definitely are looking for ways.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/0...ll_go_on.shtml

Ironically, Gateworld posted that the episode 200 gave SG1 a 36% ratings boost for this season.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The way Sci-Fi does promos for it, you can never be sure when the season is going and when it's in reruns, with this 200th they made it clear it was a big deal. What really sucks is that even if the ratings tripled, SFC wouldn't salvage it because their budget is now allocated elsewhere.

I've been watching SG-1 almost purely out of habit for the past two seasons. When Richard Dean Anderson left, he took with him the largest part of why I watch the show. Ben Browder has been okay, and Claudia Black has been a great addition. She brings things to the show that they've not really had before with her character's quirky, mercenary nature. She's possibly my favorite character now. As with Jack, most of my enjoyment in watching the show comes with waiting to see what crazy thing her character will say or do next.

I'll miss the show, certainly, but it's really been more of a case of them all coming back onto the stage for continuous encores for a while now.

Atlantis in its first season was better than SG-1 in its ninth. SG-1 has picked things up with the Ori invasion, and Atlantis has really kind of lagged this season. Also, I miss Lt. Ford.

I can't be too sad to see either go. SG-1 isn't as good as it once was and Atlantis is only as good as SG-1 has been lately.

Now if they can just get Battlestar Galactica to run without huge gaps in airings.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The way Sci-Fi does promos for it, you can never be sure when the season is going and when it's in reruns, with this 200th they made it clear it was a big deal. What really sucks is that even if the ratings tripled, SFC wouldn't salvage it because their budget is now allocated elsewhere.
    Like buying the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot Caprica sight unseen......I thought I saw a new episode of SG-1 last night. With scenes of a new episode next week. When is the last show? I have been watching SG-1 a year now and started liking it more and more. It's been filling the wide gap between BSG seasons for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Like buying the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot Caprica sight unseen......I thought I saw a new episode of SG-1 last night. With scenes of a new episode next week. When is the last show? I have been watching SG-1 a year now and started liking it more and more. It's been filling the wide gap between BSG seasons for me.
    Yeah, signing off on "Caprica" was a huge gamble that likely ate up any discretionary funding room which kept other shows alive, and the preliminary info on the series doesn't even sound that good.

There have been new episodes of SG1 since mid-July every Friday, and will continue until mid-September at least (they'll either mid-season-finale it, lame but they do it a lot, or they'll continue airing them straight through to the end of the year).