Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R2-D2 using R4-G9 mold in 2007!

From, http://jedidefender.com/newspro/full...6530840,45518,

1. Remember the RotS Sneak Preview Astromech Droid (R4-G9)? That is one killer Astromech sculpt (I love the retractable leg feature) and fans were thrilled to see it re-used for the EntertainmentEarth Droid 5-Packs. Our question is, when are you going to give us that sculpt with R2-D2's paint scheme?

Hasbro - ** We're glad you like it - it's a favorite of ours, too. You'll be seeing R2 in this sculpt in 2007.

Coolness from this good news permeates the Star Wars continuum.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

While I'm surprised we haven't gotten this sooner, its not something I was waiting on the edge of my seat for. I'm glad they are ditching the VOTC body, not that it was bad but they kept glueing the panel shut instead of giving us the accesory tools instead.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

And it's about darn time!!! I've been waiting for them to do this since that R4-G9 figure first came out.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

hope they don't give him a chromed dome. it should look like brushed steel if it's done right. Strangely i looked at what little of my figures i still display and realised i have no R2 out. but all the others look wrong in one way or another. A super duper R2 would be cool.

Hopefully they'll actually go through with it this time, since the Hoth R2 from earlier this year was gonna be the R4-G9 mold as well (according to the pics). I like the R4-G9 mold better since the dome isn't incorrectly chrome and the panel's sides aren't showing.

I hope it's the ROTS one and not the comic book painted R2.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    hope they don't give him a chromed dome. it should look like brushed steel if it's done right.
    You know, I hadn't even considered this because the R4-G9 mold is not designed for vacuum-metalizing, but I agree, I really hope he doesn't get chromed, it always looks like crap (except on the Ep 1 R2-D2 which had a super nice dulling material over it, that's something I'd go for again actually but since this mold isn't set-up for it anyway, might as well not bother).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

At the SDCC Hasbro rep Mark said the new R2 will not have a Chrome dome, it will be painted.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

This is great news. I unfortunately broke my Episode I R2-D2 (his right leg just snapped off) and I was needing a replacement. I looked at getting the Hoth R2 that's in the Heroes and Villains line but I dislike the sculpt. I even commented to my mother how R4-G9 has a better R2 body then R2 does. What's so bad is that I had just recently got Ewok God C-3PO so I could make a little diorama with R2 and RotS's Captain Antilles. My little scene only lasted a few days before the leg snapped.

Glad to see Hasbro is correcting this oversight.
    Where are those new Star Wars toys?