Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

edit on Return of the Jedi

We were watching Return Of The Jedi for the second time in two days and my 8 year old pointed out an edit. When in the Death Star and Sidious is talking to Luke everytime they show Sidious there is an obvious (now after it was pointed out) on the left side of his face near his hood. It is a thick black line, anyone else see this? We have the original Trilogy set on VHS, I didn't get around to the DVD's yet. What is it blocking?
    Order66

excellent traders; Val Da Car, Dark Marble, Commtech and info from KidHuman
    Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

If I understand what you're talking about, then I'm pretty sure that's just a matte line against the "space" background effects shot (or was the space battle outside the windows of the set a real time projection for those scenes?). Or if you're talking about his actual face, then I'll just chalk it up to a bad make-up job. There's also a funny drape to the hood when he turns his head a certain way, which casts odd shadows at times. Looks to me like the hood is fixed to his head in a particular way to ensure the face is "framed" consistently. Again, I think this causes it to hang in ways that aren't consistent with the normal effects of gravity, so the shadows look funny.

Now if by "edit" you mean "black censor bar thingy," then no, I've never seen that in any version I've ever watched. If there is in fact a black bar over part of his face, and I'm just not seeing it, I'm sure it's not there to hide or "block" anything of significance...unless you consider an Ian McDiarmid herpes outbreak something of consequence.

no i mean an obviously CGI related black line meant to look like the edge of the roge around his face on the left side. It is not a mistake but why?
    Order66

Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

Might've been the clean-up on the "slugs."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Might've been the clean-up on the "slugs."
    He missed when applying his Head On. &
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

That little blob on the right side Palp's hood has bugged the **** out of me for years.
    They softened it a little for the DVDs, but it is still noticeable.
    It's worse than the disappearing/reappearing smudges on Vader's helmet.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

"Sidious"? I love your use of the preferred nomenclature.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    "Sidious"? I love your use of the preferred nomenclature.
    I'm a big fan of "Charlotte."

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy View Post
    That little blob on the right side Palp's hood has bugged the **** out of me for years.
    They softened it a little for the DVDs, but it is still noticeable.
    It's worse than the disappearing/reappearing smudges on Vader's helmet.
    yes! sorry right side of sidious' face but left side of the screen
    Order66

I'm quite sure that was added in post production because there was a light inside the hood of the cloak to illuminate his face and you could tell where the source was coming from.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!