Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question What's that about a Star Trek Special Edition ?

I saw this on IMDb's news list, they cited Digital Bits in saying:

Quote Originally Posted by IMDb
    'Star Trek' May Go Where It Went Before
    Rumors sped at light speed on the Internet Tuesday that Paramount is working on an enhanced version of the original 79 Star Trek episodes that it plans to sell as a syndication package to broadcast stations. According to the reports, state-of-the-art visual effects will replace those in the series, new music will be added, and the show will be offered in high definition. Presumably, the new series will also be packaged for sale on high-definition DVD after the syndication package airs. The website DigitalBits, however, observed that "rather than going with a proven effects house, CBS has chosen to do the new CG work in-house. One hopes that they've got someone with REAL Trek effects experience and knowledge involved in the effort -- and they they're taking care to preserve the look and feel of the original shots."
    This ought to spark up some debate among the show's fans.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I understand that the Romulans shot first.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Dammit Jim - I'm a doctor not a digital effects artist!

Enemy wessels pixellating captain...

Considering how the original series has been available in it's entirety on either VHS or DVD for years and years, I don't think this is really a big deal. Hardcore Trekkers will undoubtedly already have the entire collection of episodes in some form, so this will just be a way to inject a little bit of new life into the show.

It's got to be better than that silly Trek 2.0 garbage on G4, and if those commercials don't tick-off hardcore Star Trek fans then I don't think anything will.

I welcome the new digital effects. I was very pleased with the enhancements done to Star Trek the Motion Picture for its DVD release. I think new CGI effects will make the original series look less dated and make the effects something really special considering they are just CGI renderings of the original models. I can't wait to see Balance of Terror with enhanced effects and just think what they could do with The Doomsday Machine! It won't look like a paper mache kaleidoscope anymore!

Is it possible to convert old footage into HD?

Anyway, it's good to know that the Star Trek fans aren't exempt from getting milked on DVDs like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings fans.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave View Post
    I welcome the new digital effects. I was very pleased with the enhancements done to Star Trek the Motion Picture for its DVD release. I think new CGI effects will make the original series look less dated and make the effects something really special considering they are just CGI renderings of the original models. I can't wait to see Balance of Terror with enhanced effects and just think what they could do with The Doomsday Machine! It won't look like a paper mache kaleidoscope anymore!
    TMP was supervised by the original director who wanted to ensure the integrity of the project, so much so that his new FX team was instructed to only use looks and techniques that mimicked the work from the original version right down to the grain of the "film". It helped that TMP also wasn't finished when it hit theaters, the director - acclaimed Oscar-winner Robert Wise - had more shots and edits and concepts that just didn't make the deadline due to setbacks going back as far as before he joined the project, so he always knew there was a better movie in there.

This is the second time they've considered doing this to TOS, I don't exactly have a problem with it if it's done right but I fear they will go overboard, that's what worked so well with ST:TMP is the respect for the integrity of the material and the restraint in needless changes that Wise and his new crew had for the project. One of the things that makes me nervous though is the notion of changing the music, the music is one of the things I think works best about TOS, it's not that constant, drab "sonic wallpaper" that the post-TNG Trek universe suffers, it's brash and emotive only at the right times just like the stars of the series itself.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm interested in seeing updated effects but dunno about their people doing it, I'm worried it will be on par with sci-fi channel's exclusive movies. In general though I would like to see TOS, TNG and DS9 updated with smoother effects, some of the stuff they had to do was a little out of their league at the time.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"