Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are the Top 5 Boy's Toy Lines of all time?

Just wondering if any one knows the answer to this and if yes, their source for the info. I have a current argument with a college prof. who believes that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the #2 boy's toy line after G.I. Joe. I think Star Wars has to be at least #2 if not #1.

Thanks

Based on what? Sales? Name/brand recognition? Duration on the market? Excluding video games and bicycles

Based on observation of availability 1) LEGOs 2) Matchbox/Hot Wheels 3)GI Joe 4)Star Wars 5) Power Rangers
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Is this a side argument with the prof or something actually going on in the classroom?

If it's revenue based, I'm sure Hot Wheels has to be first. They've been around longer than SW, and move so many units that it's absolutely scary. SW has been around long enough to make a lot of money though, I'd wager more than GIJoe. I can't imagine that anything like TMNT, Power Rangers or whatever else has come out since the late 80s can possibly compete with the money made by those 2 lines. GI Joe has also been around forever, but again there hasn't been anything significant going on with the line for years. They sell enough to stay afloat, but you don't see it everywhere like SW and Hotwheels.

Lego I can't even speculate on, but it's another animal entirely. Building toys seem seperate somehow.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

It's possible he meant all toys. I took it at the time as just action figures. He just made a blanket statement in class that G.I. Joe was the best selling boy's toy line followed by TMNT. I fully agree with the Legos and Hot Wheels/Matchbox being above all of them. Anyone know where I can get some solid sales figures or even just a reputable source with rankings to argue with?

What are the Top 5 Boy's Toy Lines of all time?

Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell, Madonna, Britney Spears, and Kirk Douglas in Sparticus (for "special" boys)

I'll bet Transfomers has done more business than TMNT.

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Based on what? Sales? Name/brand recognition? Duration on the market? Excluding video games and bicycles

Based on observation of availability 1) LEGOs 2) Matchbox/Hot Wheels 3)GI Joe 4)Star Wars 5) Power Rangers
    pbarnard brings up a good point. What is this based on? TMNT is not number two no matter how you figure it. Sure in '89 or '90 it might have been one number, but of all time? I high doubt it. TMNT is in the Top Ten for sure, but not the Top Five.

Based a combination of sales, brand recognition, longevity, and what I've seen kids play with, I'd say GI Joe is number one. Lego (which is more androgynous, but tiled towards boys) and Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars are 2 and 3 (but which is which I can't say). Star Wars being number four and Erector at number five. This is for the US only. GI Joe fairs pretty poorly out the the US market. Lego does better, but again it's much more androgynous than the others. I have no clue on the toy cars or Star Wars.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Power Rangers was the #1 the longest among a truly competitive market (you can't say the same about GI Joe since when it started it was the only toy of its kind), I think PR was the #1 seller for a dozen years straight through the '90s and into this decade.

Also, GI Joe faltered after only a few years in the '60s, Hasbro revamped it into that 8" adventure line in the '70s where all the guys had flocked hair, and then revamped it again into 12" and then into the beloved 4" GI Joe: A Real American Hero line in '82.

TMNT, while a top seller in the early '90s, only had a few solid years and a lot of lesser ones.

Star Wars has I believe made the most in action figure revenues overall, Hot Wheels has made more unit sales but I'm not sure if it's made more money (they still only sell for a buck today, not a huge profit per unit, so they have to move a lot of units).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    Star Wars being number four and Erector at number five. This is for the US only. GI Joe fairs pretty poorly out the the US market. Lego does better, but again it's much more androgynous than the others. I have no clue on the toy cars or Star Wars.
    He said Erector.