Back in the day when I was a youngster, there wasn't anything like a VCR or DVD player to be had at home. I remember seeing Star Wars in 1977 and then gobbling up anything at all that had any pictures from the movie. The novelization, which I still have, split down the middle because I looked at those pictures so much. Any image from a magazine was like gold.

I got a few trading cards from ANH, mostly the red ones with a few here and there of other colors. I used this funky one, I think I got it from Cheerios, as a reference as I made a Millenium Falcon out of cardboard. I followed with some X-Wings. This of course was before any of the real toys were even out, at least as far as I knew.

My trading card days picked up greatly with ESB when I was in fifth grade. VCRs were just becoming a home item, but only for the better off. A VHS copy of Star Wars cost $80 bucks.

I think I started with the cards because it was a way to "see" the movie again when it wasn't possible to go back to the theater. This was at a time when "Network Premieres" of major motion-pictures was a big deal. You saw Star Wars at the theater and then again a few years later when CBS got the rights to air it at 8pm.

So here I am with a set of ROTS Widevision cards sent gracefully by Caesar. I was happily flipping through them when the question of "why" now popped into my head? I can just go watch the movie itself ($20 DVD) on the DVD player ($150) in the living room. Why bother with the cards anymore?

The first answer to hit me in particular with the ROTS cards is that I can "see" the movie again without all that atrocious dialogue. I am able to enjoy the stellar production design at my own pace and appreciate the "idea" that is Star Wars despite any specific problems I might have with some recent details in the story.

Above all though, there is still something "fun" about flipping through a set of movie cards. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or what, but it exists all the same.