Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What the F*** is with the Shockwave Ring?

Alderaan and the Death Star explode outward in all directions. I'm not a scientist by any stretch so these questions may be completely stupid.

But, in the case of Alderaan, how could a laser blast (or gas enveloped in a photon envelope ) first A) explode a planet and B) cause the ball of rock to explode outward in all directions? Exactly what would an energy beam like that do to a planet to cause it to explode.

In the case of the Death Star, it makes more sense I guess because in both cases, the kill shot came from the core causing an explosion outward in all directions.

That being the case for the planet and the station, what's with the shockwave ring that resembles a flat disk? If there was a shockwave at all, why wouldn't it too expand outward in all directions equally? So instead of a disk like expansion, wouldn't it by more like a growing sphere leaving the exploding ball?

It might have heated the planets core to the point of explosion&
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The shockwave rings rule!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

The shockwave was a very poorly advised SE change. It looks stupid. More than stupid--it looks like a flornbesque pice of carp.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    how could a laser blast...explode a planet
    exactly, since it can't they might as well have fun and dress up the action while they're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn View Post
    The shockwave rings rule!
    Awesome every exploding planet should have one!

don't the rings go in different directions one being vertical and one horizontal? considering i just watched the OT SE dvd's yesterday you'd think i'd remember.

I thought the shockwave ring eminated from the Deathstar trench. That being it's weakest point where most of the energy would come from in the explosion. It kinda reminded me of the shockwave the Excelsior ran into in Star Trek The Undiscovered Country.

I always order shockwave rings with my Whopper.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    I thought the shockwave ring eminated from the Deathstar trench. That being it's weakest point where most of the energy would come from in the explosion. It kinda reminded me of the shockwave the Excelsior ran into in Star Trek The Undiscovered Country.
    So who dug the trench on Alderaan?