Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice on SSC 12" Obi-Wan issues?

I got my 12" SSC-exclusive Obi-Wan today, it's my favorite in the line, but there are a surprising number of problems that I'm considering contacting them over - if I do so, it'll be the first time I've ever contacted SSC for anything.

The issues:

- packaging, the outer shipping carton is too thin as usual but where FedEx is marginally careful with them, this time it was UPS which punched several gouges in the carton, mangled a side edge, and bashed a corner, resulting in minor to moderate creasing to the box itself in several locations;

- the lightsaber blade is the tiniest bit not straight, normally I wouldn't even mention this but it's far from the only issue today;

- one of the lightsaber hilts is assembled sloppily;

- the Grievous blaster's barrel and end cap are slightly out of rotation from the main body, the barrel can be rotated into position but becomes ever so slightly askew;

- the lightsaber covertec belt clip is glued on wrong, instead of in the middle it's glued to the bottom-most edge of the clip;

- the shoulders cannot hold the arms upright in just about any pose.

So I am wondering, should I contact them over these oddball little issues? It looks like I'm being a nitpicker, and perhaps I am, but this is a figure I want to have and want to have right, I don't want my money back but I don't want to wait for a replacement either.

Should I just accept it as it is or try to roll the dice on them getting me an improved one?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yes, contact them. I did about my Mace. The box was crushed and the covertec on my lightsaber hilt broke off. They are sending me a replacement box free of charge. If I want the lightsaber replaced I have to mail them back the broken part. As for the cosmetic issues, they would probably tell you these cannot be replaced and would offer you a refund. I complained to them about my Forbidden Zone Taylor and all they could do was offer a refund. I'm unhappy about the paint on my Obi-Wan but what can they do? They are not gonna repaint it with the correct color so we can either send them back for a refund or keep them. They should replace the saber and box for you though.

Sounds frustrating. Maybe I'll limit my complaints to the box and belt.

Anybody else have any additional advice?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The one thing that annoys me worse than the paint ops is the fabric of his Kimono. It's made out of an almost gauze-like bandage material with threads that fray and unravel. I trimed up most of these with a pair of clippers but I keep finding new threads unraveling at the seams. I'm afraid that over time this thing is going to just fall apart. I would have selected a more durable fabric for this.

Tycho made a similar claim, my only complaints are that it's too thin so it's somewhat see-through, and just like Anakin's outfit the shoulder elements slip down all the time. I just fold the loose threads up into areas that can't be seen, the only thing I learned from 9th grade sewing class was that cutting threads can lead to more problems as the threads can slip out of their seams.

I just got a response from Sideshow about my crushed Obi-Wan box. They said they are working on solving this issue which is good news. They want me to e-mail them a picture of the damage for a new box.

They didn't ask me to send pictures of my box for Mace. They said my replacement was on the way.

There's a store by my cousins house in tennesse that sells all the sideshow stuff. They told him that they are supposed to be receiving the sideshow Obi-Wan by the end of the week. He talked to them today and they said they received notice from sideshow that Obi-Wan will not be shipping until further notice. Perhaps they realize what a turd they have on their hands and are going to try to fix some stuff before they send them?!? I've been waiting on this figure for a long time, but after all the bad stuff i'm hearing i'm probably not going to be getting one.

I get mine in the next day or so, I'll keep a lookout.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave View Post
    They didn't ask me to send pictures of my box for Mace. They said my replacement was on the way.
    Yeah, I had not heard of that. Guess they might want to head off any counterfeting. I'll send the picture, but you think they could check and see the hundreds of dollars spent by me and make an exception.