Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's a disturbing thought

I took advantage of an online sale and received a Go-Gos greatest hits CD. (I know what many of you are thinking, but that in itself is not the disturbing thought; they're simply one of those bands that refuses to put their three good songs on any of the bazillion 80s compilations out there, and I don't have iTunes or Napster or any of those.)

So I was listening to it this morning and got to work a few minutes early, so I looked at the liner notes. There's a multi-page essay about how they were the greatest, they were unappreciated in their time, yadda yadda. . . . All the while, I'm thinking, "No, this was a merely above average band whose crowning achievement was making Jane Wiedlin famous enough that she could be cast in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure despite having no acting ability."

But then it occurs to me: I've seen such essays in just about every "greatest hits" CD I've ever seen, essays about how the artist was ahead of his (or her, or their) time, revolutionized the genre, was a huge influence on band X and Y and Z, etc. Fine if you're talking about Bob Dylan or Billie Holliday. A little less fine, but still acceptable for The Clash or Pearl Jam, really pushing it for The Go-Gos, and yet still unexplainably contained in the liner notes for CDs by bands like Poison and A Flock of Seagulls.

So the disturbing thought? In about twenty years, if you're demented enough to buy the CD, you can read this essay:

Though his seminal work with N-Sync is now considered to be some of the greatest music of the 21st century, it was in his solo career that Timberlake truly exceeded, summing up the uncertainty and paranoia of the Bush years. Beneath a facade of foppish sexuality--who can forget his Super Bowl appearance with the late Janet Jackson?--he portrayed a poetic maturity that only now can be truly appreciated.
    Scary, huh?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I took advantage of an online sale and received a Go-Gos greatest hits CD. (I know what many of you are thinking, but that in itself is not the disturbing thought; they're simply one of those bands that refuses to put their three good songs on any of the bazillion 80s compilations out there, and I don't have iTunes or Napster or any of those.)
    Nothing wrong with that, I have "We got the beat" stored as a favorite on my Sirus radio.

Now as for your bit about N'Suck.... yes that is VERY scary.

Even worse....Paris Hiltons CD. & &
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Yes, that is scary. But you know what could be even scarier? We're getting close to 20 years of New Kids on the Block.

Do you think they can just compile Don Johnson's, Eddie Murphy's, and Bruce Willis', one hits on some sort of "Actors who wanted to be musicians back in the 80s" CD?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

The scary thing about Don Johnson's CD: apparently it has guest musicians with names like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Tom Petty!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I love Belinda and the Go Go's!!! And, honestly, it's no better or worse than Metallica or whatever band you wanna put here: _______________ . It's all the same-- it's just what each individual gets out of it. *shrug*
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II View Post
    Yes, that is scary. But you know what could be even scarier? We're getting close to 20 years of New Kids on the Block.

Do you think they can just compile Don Johnson's, Eddie Murphy's, and Bruce Willis', one hits on some sort of "Actors who wanted to be musicians back in the 80s" CD?
    but if rick springfield can do it, then why can't michael damian?

but it also goes the other way, look at how many musicians want to be actors or athletes that want to be both (shaq)

A lot of them try it, but how many are successful? Keanu Reeves and Dogstar anyone?

Athlete rock...Alexi Lalas (soccer) and Bernie Williams (Yankees) both have albums. Does it get any better than the '86 Chicago Bears Super Bowl Shuffle? Shaq does it all, but I've never seen his movies or listened to this music (unless you count the Fu'shnikins (sp?) "what's up doc, can we rock." Didn't Kobe Bryant make an album, but it was so bad it didn't even get released?

Belinda Carisle is my favorite Go-Go to appear in Playboy.

I don't think bands like In-Sink and New Kids on the block will ever get their greatest hits albums. Why? Because their intended audiences are 13 year old girls. Somewhere between age 13 and 21, something clicks inside of every woman so they don't really care about boy bands. It is almost like they are embarassed they listened to it. The only 2 exceptions I can think of are the Monkees and Menudo.

P S This is what the alphabet would look like if you got rid of Q and R.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I've seen a couple of New Kids greatest hits CDs, actually.

I'm pretty sure Kobe's album was released. I got some sort of free sampler CD at Wherehouse several years ago, and a song from his album was on there. It sucked. Hard.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, your N*Sync liner notes are incomplete without a reference to AOTC.