Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Advice wanted from the book reading vets!

I just started reading the Star Wars books, and have never before read any of them. I'm one for the movies being cannon, but decided to get into the novels and have been hooked now.

I started with the Zahn Trilogy, and just finished it. I was going to go back and read Truce at Bakura and the Courtship of Princess Leia, then move forward from the Zahn Trilogy. The deal is, I want to get on to the New Jedi order as fast as possible (I hear it's great), and want to know the steps I should take.

I've seen the timelines, but I know that I don't need to read every bit in between, so I'm turning to those of you who may have read all the books and know how I should procede. My ideas are:

Jedi Academy Trilogy
    Hand of Thrawn

The other Zhan boooks (Judges Call? and Survivors Quest)
    New Jedi Order

Would that be acceptable, or would I miss out on some important stuff? Should I read the Young Jedi Knights series after the Zahn books and before the New Jedi Order? Are there any other key books I need to read that would set the others up?

I actually plan on reading all the books at one time or another, but many of the novels seem to be fairly self contained stories that don't build on the previous and later books, so I can read those anytime. I just want to get a flow for the books and get to the New Jedi Order.

Any help would be Great! Thanks!

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Re: Advice wanted from the book reading vets!

I kinda think most of the books suck, especially the NJO. I mean, the Yuzhan Vong are basically the bilogical version of the Borg from Star Trek. It doesn't even seem like Star Wars anymore. Also, they do way too many plotlines involving Han and Leia, and their kids. Honestly, there is no reason to keep rehashing the same characters. I wish they would write some stories about totally new characters. I mean, it's a big galaxy, why not explore some other inhabitants??
    I thought shadows of the empire was ok. I'd say the best one I've read so far was Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. That dealt with alot of fresh characters in the lead roles. Another thing I despise about the books with Luke, Leia, and han is that you know that there is no way that they are going to die, so there is no suspense whatsoever. I kind stand reading a story about a character who has overall script immunity. I compare it to watching a Harlem Globetrotters game. The other team might possibly win, but Don't bet the farm.

I say skip 'em all except Shadows of the Empire, the only one worth reading, IMO.
    Shadows owns.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I thought the Zahn trilogy really sucked. Most of the newer comic books from Dark Horse blow the novels away. Is it me, or is Grand Admiral Thrawn like some kind of cheesy James Bond Villain!?!??!

It must be you.

Zahn is a teriffic writter. He weaves an intricate storyline and does a fantastic job with character development. But that's just my opinion. Some people don't like EU period, and some don't like the liberties that Zahn takes with the Star Wars universe. Admittedly, some of it is over the top, but overall good stuff.

I recommend following up with Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future then on to Vector Prime if you wanna get to NJO as fast as possible.
    May the force be with you.

I gotta back SK99 up on this one. The Zahn Trilogy actually got me into reading EU. I was always skeptical about it, but I was at the local Library and it was there so I picked it up. I have started reading Spectres and Visions and plan to move on from there. I read some of the NJO series, but stopped because I was kind of lost and went back to read the in betweens. You are on the right path Mr. Miller. Stray not or forever journey into the dark side of illiteracy.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Zahn's other books, "Specter of the Past" and "Vision of the Future" are really good too. I'd read those next after reading the Zahn Trilogy itself.

Some other really great books that got me more hooked on reading star wars are Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace...all short stories about what's going on behind the scenes with the background characters...their point of view on certain events that take place in Star Wars and ROTJ.

There are some books that aren't as good as others and rather than just say "they sucked" and give no detail why, I'd have to say that the courtship of princess leia was one of the "not so good" books simply because the story/plot "jumped the shark" in my opinion. It was truly a ridiculous plot that to me belonged in a romance novel. I'd save that one for last, if at all.

Shadows was alright, but the NJO is much better IMO because there are some core characters who bite the dust so unlike someone else's POV, there is suspense in these here books because anyone is game for dying. Also, characters that you really get to know during the series, well, let's just say you never know what's going to happen to them.

I have never read any of the young jedi knights or young readers star wars books so I can't give my opinion on them, but I know there are others here on the boards that have and hopefully they'll let you know.

"Rogue Planet" by greg bear might be a good one to read before you start the NJO. It introduces some concepts/worlds/characters that come back in NJO.

"Point of Deception" by james luceno who also wrote the last book in the NJO series is also great and introduces the characters Luminara Unduli and Bariss Offee plus many others.

Last, I really enjoyed Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning...it's some extra adventures that take place not too long after ROTJ with all the usual suspects.

Have fun with whichever ones you decide to read.

GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

You can safely skip over the Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights books, but I'd recommend picking up The New Essential Guide to Characters (as well as the old one, which may or may not still be in print but has several characters not in the new version) and The Essential Chronology if you skip 'em. (Of course, you should pick them up eventually either way, but they'll help you understand who Tahiri and Tenel Ka and Ikrit and some of the other characters who roll over from the kids' series into the NJO are.)

You should definitely read Rogue Planet before you start the NJO, or at least before you start the second book. You'll get lost very, very quickly otherwise.

Corran Horn is a pretty major player in the NJO, so I'd recommend reading I, Jedi immediately after the Jedi Academy trilogy. But if you're in a hurry to get to the NJO, it's not a must. Just remember he's the coolest dude to ever swing a lightsaber. Well, maybe second to Mister Fisto.

The latest two books by Zahn (Survivor's Quest and the unpublished Outbound Flight (???)) aren't must-reads prior to the NJO.

The Chewbacca graphic novel is a highly recommended NJO tie-in, too, but do not read it before Vector Prime.

Most of the other stuff from the NJO that refers to other books that take place in years prior does a pretty good job of summing up what happened, so you can go back to it later.

Just be warned that the NJO is very hit and miss. Some books are incredible, and others you'll have to struggle through. The solo Jaina book is especially dreary.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic
    Some other really great books that got me more hooked on reading star wars are Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace...all short stories about what's going on behind the scenes with the background characters...their point of view on certain events that take place in Star Wars and ROTJ.
    I forgot about the Tales books. Jabba's Palace is a good one, with a subplot running through most of the short stories.

"Rogue Planet" by greg bear might be a good one to read before you start the NJO. It introduces some concepts/worlds/characters that come back in NJO.
    Rogue Planet is the book that killed any remaining hope I had for staying even remotely interested in the EU. There is only 1 memorable moment, in terms of character development, and the rest of the book was soo amazingly dull.
    But for me it was the NJO that changed my feelings on whether or not the EU should even be considered part of the Star Wars universe. After the events of Vector Prime, with the exception of Shadows, it was a rock solid NO.

I did read the first 3 Jedi Apprentice books. Even though they were written for teens, they weren't too bad. At the time, I picked them up to see how Obi-wan became Qui-Gon's apprentice.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Some good recommendations there for other SW books to read. And not to discount the comics, one of the major players in the NJO makes an appearance in Crimson Empire. The same character makes another appearance in ?Planet Of Twilight? ... Is that right guys?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars