Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Origin of Spoilers

A few of you (and you know who you are), frequently employ the use of "spoiler" material to make points, "prove" things, or simply to expand upon ideas.

I was wondering, from where does this super-secret information come from? I've heard it a few times from those at Lucasfilm that they check in on the web-rumors from time to time and find some of the "spoilers" amusing as they have no basis in reality.

I'm wondering just how anyone here could have any clue as to the plot of Episode II aside from pieces gleened here and there based on toy photos? Moreso, the script for Episode III hasn't even been written yet, but some of you claim to know exactly what will happen and when.

How is this possible? Where do spoilers come from?

I can't say anything for "Spoilers" regarding Episode 3. As far as I know one of the few (like 3 or 5) bits of info I've seen regarding the film was a quote by Lucas where he mentioned it would be primarily about Anakin's fall to the dark side. The rest were equally as general (well perhaps the James Earl Jones quote could be considered specific?).

Episode 2 Spoilers are a different issue. Star Wars web sites often get information leaked from those in the know. Some prove false, others prove their worth. You don't have to take what is offered outside of Lucasfilm direct info as factual, but I will say that I feel VERY confident that the majority of Star Wars Episode 2 has been exposed/hashed out in a few Star Wars fan sites on the net. Personally I began following Spoilers right after TPM. I turned the B.S. meter on high, and kept track of a vast majority of spoilers from many different sources and basically put together what I thought would happen in AOTC many many months ago. I wasn't too far off from what those with access to better sources produced a short time later. If you don't want to take what we say for granted, then don't. Simple as that. I stand by any information I have presented. I am certain 99% of it will be confirmed on screen. Really, unless you get specific about what you are doubting, then I can't offer much in the way of an explanation for why that is commonly accepted as fact. I suggest all specific inquiries be taken to the E2 spoilers section .

By the way.....I love the avatar!!!
    Last edited by Jedi Clint; 01-30-2002 at 12:08 AM.
    ubi mel ibi apes

Often, when a "rumor" gets "verified" by multiple sources, it's veracity simply increases exponentially. For example (and this is not true, but I don't want to offend the spoiler free nature of the thread) suppose we get an outline/treatment/storyline that says Mace Windu betrays the Jedi and becomes a Sith. Later on someone finds online photos of Mace battling another Jedi against a blue screen. Later on someone else reads a cryptic comment made by Samuel Jackson about his character in an obscure french magazine like "Better Cheeses and wines" or whatever. After that someone sees costume design photos of Mace in black robes. All of these as separate entities aren't any kind of help in deciphering the story, but as you begin to add them together, they seem to make more and more sense and also, they start to "confirm" each other. As I said that's just an example, Mace does NOT go bad (or maybe he does. ) but think of the unraveling of Episode II as more complex and complicated version of this scenario.

As for Episode III, much of it IS conjecture. I have no Idea what happens in III, but it's fun to speculate. There are certain givens based on the canon of the Original Trilogy (Obi Wan and Anakin fight, Vader is born, Padme has children, etc) but beyond that, most of the storyline we've concocted in "Mace Windu's Death" is based on theories about Episode II that haven't been confirmed yet. There is only one *Spoiler* about EIII that revolves around a scene shot [ON LOCATION] that if you read between the lines of the OT, pretty much can only be one scene. Other than that what III is is anyone's guess.

I only wish I had the will power to stay away from Episode III spoilers to see if our/my story idea proves true.

Originally posted by Jedi Clint
    those in the know.
    ...who would be...?

The only people that could be would be crew members or production personnel off set. Are these initial "leaks" coming from them? How do you know?

signed,
    just curious in topeka

Rollo elaborated on how fan sites go about picking the ones who are legit. I don't think they detail their link to the production of the films to those they inform. Some leaks are even confirmed by Lucasfilm, such as the stolen storyboards. Those produced an enormous amount of links between all the other reports, and discredited a large amount as well. I put faith in those who run the fan sites to determine the legit sources from the attention seekers. It has been a very intricate process of elimination to determine what is known thus far about AOTC. Lucasfilm has released a great deal of information substaniating the reports in the form of the Episode 2 Select photos, the making of documentaries, and the highlights of the different vehicles and characters on the official web site.

As I said before, if you really don't want to believe the spoilers, then don't. I don't care to convert you. I am simply answering your question to the best of my ability, while at the same time avoiding information that belongs in a dedicated section of the board. If there is something specific that you want to ask about, please direct your question to the Spoilers forum, and I will do my best to answer it.
    ubi mel ibi apes

It's not that I don't believe in spoilers, I was just curious where they came from and how much faith anyone could put in them. If you somehow "verify" information, then great. My inquiry isn't meant to judge one way or another. You seem a little defensive about the whole topic for some reason. Is there something you'd like to talk about?

I guess so. It sounds like crew members who broke their confidentiality clauses, cast members who broke their confidentiality clauses, cast members who dropped "hints" in interviews, behind-the-scenes footage from Entertainment Tonight and the like, and pure conjecture coupled with hope.

Originally posted by stillakid
    I guess so. It sounds like crew members who broke their confidentiality clauses, cast members who broke their confidentiality clauses, cast members who dropped "hints" in interviews, behind-the-scenes footage from Entertainment Tonight and the like, and pure conjecture coupled with hope.

Yes, people associated with the production of the film are probably breaking agreements. The official site www.starwars.com has given us visual and audio information as well as text to confirm many reports that began as rumor.

Hope? Where did you get that from?

Conjecture -

1 obsolete a : interpretation of omens b : SUPPOSITION

2 a : inference from defective or presumptive evidence b : a conclusion deduced by surmise or guesswork c : a proposition (as in mathematics) before it has been proved or disproved

Which definition of the word "conjecture" were you implying?

I told you it was an intricate process of logical deduction.

Perhaps if I seem defensive, it is because I took the process of deduction regarding the plot and details of E2 seriously.
    ubi mel ibi apes

stillakid,

i don't know how long you have been following the episode 2 production, but now that everything is in post-production at skywalker ranch, the "spoilers" or leaks have just about come to an end.

the majority of confirmed info almost had to come from production crew or extras, or employees who enjoy risking their job. i recall the stolen story boards jedi clint referred to, and i was shocked that those got out. i thought they were fake, but based on lucasfilm's reaction and the trailers we've seen, i'm sure they are real and the events described are in the film. a while back an extra posted on the force.net a scene she was in on naboo. it later fit perfectly with leaked set photos and some shots in the trailer.

speaking of the 3 trailers that have been released, everything in those trailers perfectly fit the spoilers we already knew of. i look at this business of spoilers as a mystery or dective story that we must piece together. it's fun and gives us diehards something to do besides debating who whould win in a maul/vader duel.