E2 Figures: A few things to Consider

Seems to be that since you complained about Eeth Koth being in an action pose, while in E1 all he did was sit in a chair. Shouldn't the opposite be true with E2, that if the charecter is in a fighting stance most of their time on camera, would you really want them to be looking like they are waiting in line for a bus?

Sure, there is an obvious middle ground here, more articulation would allow both normal stances, and action poses, but not on all figures. Take Shaak Ti for instance, when she's fighting her cloak would be swirling with her while she's moving. Same with the other jedi's and the bottoms of their tunics. For all of you shouting cloth, remember something. Cloth doesn't hang properly on small figures. So, even if they articulated her legs, you would still have the action posed plastic cloak.

Also, All the jedi's and sith fight with a slightly bow-legged stance, which would be difficult to give every figure complex leg articulation necissary to go into a combat stance. Isn't better to release main action posed charecters like Anakin, Dooku, Obi-Wan, etc. And then, since you're going to do re-sculpts anyway, give people a basic stance? Look at the POTJ and E1 lines for example, we already have basic stance figures of Plo Koon, Seasee Tiin, Mace Windu, Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Adi Galla.

Now look at Jango, he actually fights Obi-Wan in that stance in the film. I don't see a easy way of multiple leg joints so that you could get his leg into that position. Same with the Clone Trooper, sure you could load the leg up with multiple complex articulation points, but then the figure can become weak in the joints and won't stand anyway. I for one prefer the battle stance version, and then a later regular at attention, multi-posable figure.

Again, since there is tons of action in E2, lay off a bit and look on the bright side. We know hasbro does re-sculpts, they may as well put them in a different pose entirely then the first versions, or do you want re-sculpts where every figure is in the same exact cookie cutter stance? Hope this gave you all a few things to consider, Its an honor to make this my 200th post.

Hey Sir Steve, if you happen to be reading I would love to hear you as well as others opinions on what I'm saying here. Please post a commnt if ya get a few moments. I really wanna hear what everyone thoughts on things.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 01-30-2002 at 03:16 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Seems to be that since you complained about Eeth Koth being in an action pose, while in E1 all he did was sit in a chair. Shouldn't the opposite be true with E2, that if the charecter is in a fighting stance most of their time on camera, would you really want them to be looking like they are waiting in line for a bus?
    -Actually it'd be the same situation. See, they said Eeth Koth wasn't being done like for E2, they just decided he'll be like that, if we got someone who was in a nuetral pose who was supposed to be in a fighting stance it'd basically be the same situation. Their scene specific excuse goes out the window with the Eeth Koth figure, most definitely. Granted, he'll be a good figure to put with the E2 Jedi, but what about our neutral Eeth for our Jedi Councils?

Sure, there is an obvious middle ground here, more articulation would allow both normal stances, and action poses, but not on all figures. Take Shaak Ti for instance, when she's fighting her cloak would be swirling with her while she's moving. Same with the other jedi's and the bottoms of their tunics. For all of you shouting cloth, remember. Cloth doesn't hand properly on small figures. So, even if they articulated her legs, you would still have the action posed plastic cloak.
    - Just use cloth then. I mean it, they should use the same stuff they used for POTJ Lando's cape, that stuff seemed ok. What's more important too, being able to multi-pose figures to raise sells just by adding cloth cloaks, or lowering the playability of a figure by limiting it?

Also, All the jedi's and sith fight with a slightly bow-legged stance, which would be difficult to give every figure complex leg articulation necissary to go into a combat stance. Isn't better to release main action posed charecters like Anakin, Dooku, Obi-Wan, etc. And then, since you're going to do re-sculpts anyway, give people a basic stance? Look at the POTJ and E1 lines for example, we already have basic stance figures of Plo Koon, Seasee Tiin, Mace Windu, Yoda, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Adi Galla.

Now look at Jango, he actually fights Obi-Wan in that stance in the film. I don't see a easy way of multiple leg joints so that you could get his leg into that position. Same with the Clone Trooper, sure you could load the leg up with multiple complex articulation points, but then the figure can become weak in the joints and won't stand anyway. I for one prefer the battle stance version, and then a later regular at attention, multi-posable figure.

- Well they have to come up with some way to compete with those Spider-Man figures that are coming out later, they were able to pull off multiple points on one joint on E1 Yoda's and the CTC Trooper's shoulders, no reason they couldn't do that for the legs, especially since they have more room to work with.

To me, it's not just poor figures, it's what can happen to the SW line. People are already losing interest in the line, and prices are going up, better stuff is coming out from other companies and yet we're trying to stay loyal to Hasbro for SW product, and we hope we'll get good product, but no, they were getting better and better in their figures then they go back to what things basically started out as back in '95, so then what? Sales down because Hasbro's loyal customers are dissapointed and are sick of being treated like dirt, they give up on Hasbro, Hasbro relys on collectors who now are mostly the main consumers of these things since kids definitely don't want just display pieces, they want toys they can PLAY with.... So Hasbro loses it's main supporters, then it loses money, things are canceled, and more people lose interest due to the lack of better product...then the whole line get's canceled and we don't have ANY figures.

To me it's not just about me getting a super duper figure but also getting more figures like it later on. If Hasbro wants to make a profit, they certainly don't seem to care if they don't make one.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I'll tell you what happened to the STAR WARS line...

"Butt Ugly Martians" happened... that's what! My friend and I saw a commercial for these ridiculous figures right before the "X-Files". First of all... it's in poor taste to use the word "Butt" when marketing to children. It's not like parents have a hard enough time keeping their kids in line as it is, much less worrying about what's being marketed to them! Secondly... the line is just plain stupid and useless. I can't believe they spent that much time working on this line while letting the STAR WARS line go to hell in an injection moulded basket! Very sad... Very, very sad.

p.s.- Give us more articulation and cloth accessories. What's the big deal??? It's been done before!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Last thing first- yeah, I saw that BUM (nice acronym,man) line in TRU taking up a big endcap just yesterday, and I felt every bit as violated as you, JediPartnr. Stupid is ONE word you could use for that whole line. I BET there's lots of f@rt jokes built in to that property. Hasbro' clearly not afraid to make pegwarmers, and it hurts to think how many levels of different companies had to give it the green light after "consideration".
    Second, JarJarBinks brings up a good point- the action quotient in AOTC looks to be pretty high, and we could interpret these more "dynamic" sculpts as signs of great things to come. It really seems like the root of the discontent is how one defines "action figure", and how much "built in" action is necessary/allowed. Imagine if these forums existed when the FIRST SW figures came out, or when big-headed Han was released- would those figures have been mocked as the hilarious approximations that they were? Was han solos bent arm the original sin, the first crooked limb in this endless parade of bent ankles, flowing robes, torso twists and distinct facial expressions, the original one pose wonder, beyond which nothing good may ever pass? No, they still come out with some good ones every once in a while, even if they do screw up monumentally every once in a while. I'm confident that there'l be a few gems amid the dirt...... Wooooo!!
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I agree with you JEDIpartnr. BUM figures are stupid and yes, the Episode II figures suck too. Likeness, sculpting, and ariculation all need a LOT of work.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

And another thing, I hate it when stupid figures take up so much space. And the cool figures are so poorly stocked.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett