Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Okay, here's another problem with Palpatine in ROTS

This is going to be a really tough one to answer without dipping into EU, I know, but bear with me.

According to the little bit of info we have (mainly Dark Lord, Purge, and Last of the Jedi, along with the bits and pieces we get from ROTS and ANH), Vader was obsessed for a while with capturing or killing Obi-Wan. The Emperor repeatedly downplayed Kenobi's importance, though he encouraged Vader to nurse the grudge. About twenty years later, Obi-Wan and Yoda both still seem to be really low priority for the Empire--sure, they're wanted Jedi, but nothing remarkable about the two of them other than that. Luke's never even heard of Yoda, and Tarkin blows Vader off when he mentions Obi-Wan.

Why's this a problem?

First, Palpatine knows Yoda survived. Yoda simply walked into the (presumably heavily-guarded) Senate building and held his own against Palpatine, retreating when he wasn't really defeated. Palpatine knows Yoda is superior to Mace, who gave up one hell of a fight (whether Palpy threw it for Anakin's benefit or not).

And there's Obi-Wan, who also got around Coruscant quite easily (they're smart enough to figure out he must've snuck onboard Padme's ship there). And he bested the Chosen One in combat, then snuck away right under Palpatine's nose. Definitely no slouch, either.

Throw in the fact that, sometime shortly after ROTS, the Empire would've discovered that these two reprogrammed the beacon in the Jedi Temple.

Why, then, are Yoda and Obi-Wan not tied for Public Enemy #1 on the Empire's Most Wanted list? Why doesn't everyone in the galaxy know who they are and keep an eye open for them?

Tarkin comments that Obi-Wan must be dead by the time of ANH. In 1977, we assumed he was referring to his age. But the guy would be in his late 50s at the most--still a spring chicken compared to human Jedi greats like Dooku, Mace, and Qui-Gon.

What gives?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So I take it that mace and qui-gon were pretty old then?? How old were they supposed to be? I had heard once that qui-gon was in his 60's, but I was always under the impression that mace was in his late 40's early 50's. Anyone know?

Tarkin was probably referring to the large number of things like Bounty Hunters, Imperial Inquisitors, Emperor's Hands, etc that could be dispatched to kill Jedi.

Palpy was probably thinking (like all others) that Yoda was old than, he's older, ~20 years later and could probably be dead, or be in such failing health that he's no real threat.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

the imperial spin machine has painted the jedi as traitors and murderers. few people are foolish enough to voice their opinions and those that do are easily led away to kessel. by not publicizing the fact that there are at least 2 rogue jedi still around it wouldn't take long for the lies being spread to replace fact and in the outer regions jedi are probably easily forgotten. look at lukes failure to recognize what a light saber is in ANH, obers has to explain it to him.

once he's got the republic (his new empire) in his grasp palpy has more to fear from the coming vong than a few jedi in exile.

and i don't think it's necessarily just obi-wan, vader harbors a jones to get rid of all the jedi that escaped order 66, obers just happens to be a little more prominently featured in EU and aside from yoda is the only survivor to appear in the OT.

I kind of agree with Darth Jax's take. It's a case of out of sight, out of mind. Besides, if they draw attention to these rogue Jedis, they risk turning them into legends. The more you pursue them, the more you risk hardening the resolve those who become disaffected with the Empire, and the more likely that some will try to rally behind 2 Jedi "outlaws."

Yoda and Obi Wan were better left forgotten.
    Galactic Barn Burner

I think Palpy didn't care because 1) most of the Jedi are dead so they can't round up a bunch of them and go after Palpy 2) the Jedi became hated so the few remaining Jedi wouldn't be able to "practice in the open" thus they wouldn't be a big threat 3) there at this point there were bigger fish to fry 4) he was cocky.

If you say "all the Jedi are dead," some in the galaxy will believe you. Some will be smart enough to realize that "all" actually means "most," but since they're smart, they know that the few that may have survived aren't enough to topple the Imperial machine.

Besides, if the Emperor came to you, as an Imperial recruit or established officer and said "all the Jedi are dead," would you deny it to him? After a while, that indocrination would become reality for you.

And, Mr. AllSeeing-AllKnowing Palpatine would probably want to have some Jedi alive, even ones as powerful as Yoda or Obi-Wan to test his followers, in case ruling the galaxy got old and boring.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Okay... here's the REAL problem...

You're over-analysing a fictional work that is rooted in fantasy- containing creatures, vehicles, locales and plotlines that aren't remotely real or possible in the first place. Okay. Continue.

OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    You're over-analysing a fictional work that is rooted in fantasy- containing creatures, vehicles, locales and plotlines that aren't remotely real or possible in the first place. Okay. Continue.

Wait.... was the above directed towards this thread or the entire board?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post

WHAAAAAAAAAA-?!?
    No... that's not true! That's impossible!
    NO-OOOOO! NOOOO-OOOOOOO!!!

See? They always say: if you're having trouble getting your point across, speak louder.

Okay. Let's continue.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(