Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Suggestions for making robes on Sideshow Jedis "flow" better?

I know it can be done because I've seen pictures of Sideshow Anakins and such that drape really well over the figures. They look softer and more supple. Someone told me something about the cloak being dunked--along with the figure, but without the leather parts--in warm water. But I ain't trying that unless someone can vet that

I'm sure there's got to be a how-to link somewhere, but I can't find it. So far I have Sith Apprentice Anakin and Obi Wan, but their cloaks just look wrinkly, stiff and unnatural.
    Galactic Barn Burner

Here's a link to a tutorial on the water treatment over at RS.

You can still make them drape better without the water though, just need to do some pulling and tucking in the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefer Shark View Post
    Here's a link to a tutorial on the water treatment over at RS.

You can still make them drape better without the water though, just need to do some pulling and tucking in the right spots.
    Thanks Reefer Shark... I've futzed around with the robe on Anakin and he looks alright, but after seeing how some people have altered the look of the robe I figured it could always look better.
    Galactic Barn Burner

What about just using a spray-on starch?

Dunking your figure seems like a really bad idea I think, water will get into body elements and start destroying joints and plastics and paint. Maybe the costumes could be lightly oiled though.

That top-stick idea seems like a good one though, I hate those vest shoulder pieces always coming down on those characters. Where do you get that stuff though?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

Dunking your figure seems like a really bad idea I think, water will get into body elements and start destroying joints and plastics and paint. Maybe the costumes could be lightly oiled though.

That top-stick idea seems like a good one though, I hate those vest shoulder pieces always coming down on those characters. Where do you get that stuff though?
    I tried the dunking trick last night, and I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive. It worked okay, made the robe look a little better, but not all that much. Plus, if you take off the boots you're going to run into problems when you put them back on because the pants could bunch up around the knees.
    Galactic Barn Burner

It's just water, I really doubt it will cause any sort of harm. Unless of course your water is acid based

IMO oil and starch are both unnatural elements that will probably do more harm than good. Who wants a stiff robe/clothing or oily robes and clothing anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    It's just water, I really doubt it will cause any sort of harm. Unless of course your water is acid based

IMO oil and starch are both unnatural elements that will probably do more harm than good. Who wants a stiff robe/clothing or oily robes and clothing anyway?
    A couple guys did this over on the SS Freaks board and the moisture trapped in the clothes caused the leather belt to stain the robes. Talk about ring around the collar. Anyway, they had to use a detergent or something to lift the stains out. A better way to weight down the robes without submerging the figure and soaking them in water is to just get a spray bottle and spot spray specific target areas and it will dry and stiffen around the contours of the figure without need for much futzing. Works great on Qui-Gon's poncho and gives the illusion that it is longer than it really is.

btw - Nash are you the same Nash from the SS Freaks forums?

I'd definitely agree that the less water used would make things more managable. and also, it's very important to not get the leather parts wet since it will have adverse effects as leather would...even though the figures use pleather or whatever.

yup im the same one on SSF :P

Quote Originally Posted by Luuuuuuke View Post
    I tried the dunking trick last night, and I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive. It worked okay, made the robe look a little better, but not all that much. Plus, if you take off the boots you're going to run into problems when you put them back on because the pants could bunch up around the knees.
    The dunking advice was to leave the boots on and drain them during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    Water is a universal solvent, over time water will dissolve any substance - solid, liquid, or gas - to create a new water-based solution. Water turns mountains into valleys over time, plastics and fabrics are not exactly stern stuff by comparison.

Oil and starch are both NATURAL elements, starch comes from plant matter and oils come from plants or animals.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The dunking advice was to leave the boots on and drain them during the process.
    I did that but I kept having a feeling that there was water in the boots. I think I just jumped the gun. I should not have taken the boots off.

I do like the idea of doing spot spraying. Though come to think of it, I futzed around with Obi Wan's robe without wetting it or anything and it looked pretty good.
    Galactic Barn Burner