Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MR to be bought by Corgi???

http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?..._articleid=676

What the heck is going on here? Corgi has never seemed all that stable to me, they've been around forever but they've also faded in and out in the US a few too many times, and while they do have some good work, they also cut corners in ways I don't like or just leave things out. I'm just not feeling this one, MR's commitment to quality is already pretty darn high, I'd hate for a larger company to swoop in and impede that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, I was reading that story over at AF also. Interesting news... a bit unexpected, but I suppose we'll hear more in time.

I suppose it would help MR to be able to take advantage of Corgi's manufacturing experience and connections in China. Other than that... ???
    plasticfetish.net

The merger happened on October 4th. MR says that things will stay as they are for a while. This could be a good or bad thing -a little more time will tell.

I hope Master Replicas keeps its name in the end. I dont like the idea of owning a Corgi Lightsaber replica.

Since Corgi owns the 007 license, maybe we'll get some Bond replicas! I'd love to get a Golden Gun and a Walther PPK.
    Last edited by Jayspawn; 10-06-2006 at 01:50 PM.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    I suppose it would help MR to be able to take advantage of Corgi's manufacturing experience and connections in China.
    This is what I'm worried about actually, that Corgi will make MR change factories to their guys in China which wouldn't have the experience or talent required. Corgi's work is good, but they cut corners, they use smoother lines and cheat here and there - that would not pay off in a prop replica.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be good news - Master Replicas has been one of my absolute favorite producers of pop culture memorabilia. I could see it going either way. I'm particularly worried that once the merger is complete that Corgi may go through another period where they (to borrow a phrase) fade out of the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This is what I'm worried about actually, that Corgi will make MR change factories to their guys in China which wouldn't have the experience or talent required. Corgi's work is good, but they cut corners, they use smoother lines and cheat here and there - that would not pay off in a prop replica.
    You're right, and that would be my worry also, but I'm thinking that perhaps this will give MR the ability to expand a little. Perhaps continue to do what they're doing with prop replicas, but use Corgi's connections and distribution experience to break into other markets a little more easily.

I dunno... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay View Post
    I'm really hoping this turns out to be good news - Master Replicas has been one of my absolute favorite producers of pop culture memorabilia. I could see it going either way. I'm particularly worried that once the merger is complete that Corgi may go through another period where they (to borrow a phrase) fade out of the US market.
    Ack, I wish you hadn't said that! You're right, they've had a hard time the past 20+ years, ever since Mattel bought them in the '80s and they had to buy their way out from under Mattel, they've had a hard time keeping a foothold in the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Maybe I don't know enough about Corgi, but it seems to me that these companies serve different bases. I wouldn't expect to see much change. It may be something as off the wall as retail relationships driving this as much as manufacturing or design.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Okay, I absolutely can not specifically say where I got this info from but it is from a VERY reliable source. A big part of Corgi buying MR was for the Star Wars license. While some of you may say "duh," do you know why?

Apparently Corgi has been trying for years to break in the SW license and more importantly here within the U.S. Instead of getting the license by directly earning it, it became clear and easier to see that if they bought out a company who already had the license that they would get both things they were desiring.

Again I can't say whom specifically, and the ONLY clue I'll give is that it's from one of the bigwigs at one of the major e-tailors with whom MR distributed to directly and that I have personal access to this individual.

The only other bit of info that was passed on to me was that MR was going to remain intact, meaning the name and basically how they do business. They would just be under new ownership.

Take that for what it's worth.
    Move along, move along

I'm reading about this everywhere trying to get more information. Over at Yak, they're saying the merger (company change), wont happen till 4th Qtr 2006 and that the company will keep the name Corgi.

I hope that isnt true! I do not want to buy a Corgi replica!!!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett