Ep.I Commemorative Tin R2-R9 minireview

Imagine my surprise last night when I found the 3 Prequel commemorative tin sets at a WM in Hattiesburg, MS! I was delighted, since I had been wanting the Ep.I set for the red astromech droid, R2-R9. As far as the set itself, I guess $26 for 4 figures and a metal lunch box ain't bad, I guess. [There were even little attachable tab-hooks included in the tin, I guess for those that hang their carded figures on the wall for display.] There was only 1 set of each, and I left the Ep.II and Ep.III sets for others.

R2-R9 seems to use the VOTC R2 mold, complete with pop-up Sensorscope and detachable third leg. The panels on the body do not open. The dome is not a shiny chrome finish, thankfully. In short, it is much superior to the pack-in R2-R9 that came with the Naboo Royal Starship, which I had (regrettably) sold off years ago. Now I am glad, since this little red droid is much superior to the older one I used to have.

I was most pleased with this purchase! I give this R2-R9 a solid "A."

How odd. I have no inclination towards buying any of the tin sets besides the Cantina band (already on pre-order thankfully). I balk at paying that much to get only one figure that's any good and end up with three other turkeys. plus a cheapo tin lunchbox. (anyone want my cantina one when i've divested it of the figures?)
    Even the cantina set isn't perfect. Lord knows what the soft goods scarf things are there for, or why the omni box is still a handheld thing and missing it's stand or a seat for whichever Bith plays it. (I'm using the seat from the dejarik champion chewbacca and customising it myself.)

Not bad though if another astro droid also gets some nifty features. I'd like to see a set one day that has four astro droids cast all in white with various add on or pop up tools and arms, that you could then paint yourself to make whichever astro droid you wanted to have those features. Insofar as hasbro is at pains to win back kids an activity pack may make a parent friendly gift and also please customisers.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. DADDYPANTS View Post
    I balk at paying that much to get only one figure that's any good and end up with three other turkeys.
    Me, too. I can justify it a little more to myself as I never got the Maul from the Sith Evolutions set, and it's pretty nice (save the blindingly white teeth); he wears the cloak from the Sith Speeder Maul better than any other sculpt of the character so far.

As far as Obi and Qui-Gon, they are already in storage.

Hey, very cool! I had no idea that this R2-R9 was different than the last one. I may consider this set. Never opened my Evolution Sith set... I might like to have one of those Mauls loose also.
    plasticfetish.net

Interesting. I was under the impression that the R2-R9 was to be based on R4-P17. The VOTC R2 is better than most, but R4 is the best Astro sculpt to date.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Yep, I agree with you there, Turbo. I personally don't like that detachable third leg. 'Twill have to do, I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2-R9.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	14654  

That's better......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2-R9.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	14655  
    (Like my posts)

You should start a thread on this in the Saga section. I'm sure many might want to know.
    (Like my posts)