Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Why do we protect kids from seeing or knowing about that stuff? I think they can grow up able to better cope with the world if they're exposed to it. And it helps if it has a good soundtrack
    Beyond the development of the synapses to regions of the brain that would enable them to process it? Also waiting for endocrine development that can turn on and off emotions and reactions to those things?

On a side note, what happens when Nash Bridges meets Sonny Crocket? Does Cheech go up in smoke?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Philip Michael Thomas made guest appearances on Nash Bridges. And Cheech didn't go up in smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Beyond the development of the synapses to regions of the brain that would enable them to process it? Also waiting for endocrine development that can turn on and off emotions and reactions to those things?
    You're the doc, Doc. You made a good argument.

I don't know the medical answers to those things. I also don't know if the research in that area is solid, but I liked your answer as it gave me pause to think about something new.

However, I did sneak out of bed and downstairs to secretly watch Miami Vice when I was about 10 years old, and I don't ever recall anything I saw on that show, traumatizing me. I do remember one episode about a eunuch (spelling - it's a guy who had his **** and ***** cut off - this case as a POW in 'Nam) and he killed Miami prostitutes for revenge he could never satisfy. I don't think I have that episode on Sn 1 and I only know Sn 2 (out of 5) has been also released - but I really remember that episode because I would so not like to go on with life without having my equipment I'm not sure if that's what you'd call affecting me as a child or not, but I clearly remember the subject of that episode.

I know it was television, but also that this sort of thing probably happened in POW camps of most wars - yet I don't think that sort of thing would be viewed by me any differently as an adult now, than when I was quite a young child.

I also knew why Gina went upstairs with the ugly, fat, hairy, bald dude and felt bad for her and glad that she got to shoot him dead at the end of the episode. Then and now it affected me the same.

I don't know if I was different than a lot of kids at that age or what - but many of us had to sneak around our parents to watch Miami Vice.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

My last season 1 disc (side A) has some scratches I'm trying to polish off. It's terrible in that Tubbs is held hostage by a street gang in a slum building with other hostages. The dudes tried to rape a girl but shot her brother when he tried to interfere. They've already killed one cop and my disc goes bad. It's the 2nd to last episode on that side, so I fear for the final one as well.

I hate finding my receipts for these things and going back to the store and doing exchanges and hoping all the other discs are cool in the new set - or having to rewatch the episodes on the spot to verify that they are.

I'm still hoping that my polish & repair kit can handle this. It seemed to have already cleared up a part (a conversation between Crockett and Castillo that plays fine now) - so I might just have a little more work to do. But in disc-sets like this one - this gets to be a pain.

I had some trouble with my Star Trek: Enterprise discs in this manner as well.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Amazing! Best Buy has heard of good customer service!

I went in with my bad disc - not the whole set as I didn't want to rewatch the episodes I'd already seen over again to make sure new discs were OK. I just brought the bad Disc 3 - with my receipt - and Best Buy's customer service girl had me go get a new Ssn 1 off the shelf and she opened it and gave me disc 3 to put in my box - No troubles at all.

I'm going to go watch it shortly.

Pretty cool. Here I thought I was going to have trouble.

I also bought Season 2 from them. They definitely earned my business!

My last season 1 disc (side A) has some scratches I'm trying to polish off. It's terrible in that Tubbs is held hostage by a street gang in a slum building with other hostages. The dudes tried to rape a girl but shot her brother when he tried to interfere. They've already killed one cop and my disc goes bad. It's the 2nd to last episode on that side, so I fear for the final one as well.

I hate finding my receipts for these things and going back to the store and doing exchanges and hoping all the other discs are cool in the new set - or having to rewatch the episodes on the spot to verify that they are.

I'm still hoping that my polish & repair kit can handle this. It seemed to have already cleared up a part (a conversation between Crockett and Castillo that plays fine now) - so I might just have a little more work to do. But in disc-sets like this one - this gets to be a pain.

I had some trouble with my Star Trek: Enterprise discs in this manner as well.
    I had a problem with the Voodoo episode disc freezing up and since it was past the return date I had to e-mail Universal Home Video and mail them the defective disc. They sent me a corrected replacement disc within 3 weeks. Apparently there was something in the authoring that only affected certain brands of players. I guess they've had numerous issues with their dual-layer DVD-18's.

Those are when the episodes are put on the front and back of the DVD's?

My A-Team collection is like that (Season 2 and then on I think). And yeah, Miami Vice is written that way.

I don't think I saw a VooDoo episode yet. Is that Season 1?

I just bought Season 2 but I've only opened it to check out the presentation. Unlike the A-Team which went with just plastic disc holders, Season 2 of Miami Vice is nicely laid out in a book-style disc holder. I'll look forward to watching those episodes later next week. I'm finishing Season 1, Disc 3 - still on side A as I have to re-watch 2 I just saw because I have that new disc and I want to check it all out.

As I posted above, Best Buy was very cool and just gave me a new copy of the disc I needed instead of making me chance getting any bad copies of discs 1 or 2 in a whole new set. I don't want to watch those over again right now. - but it was a great show and I'm glad I own this series.

I just watched the Smugglers' Blues with Glenn Frey guest-starring as a cociane smuggler pilot for Crockett and Tubbs' trip to Columbia. Pretty cool.
    Tubbs jumped off a bridge into the dirty cop's cigarette boat, punched him a few good times, and finally shot him. He had Trudy held hostage in a trailer and wired with explosives. It very much reminded me of the recent movie with Ferrell and Foxx.

He had Trudy held hostage in a trailer and wired with explosives. It very much reminded me of the recent movie with Ferrell and Foxx.
    Don't remind me. Michael Mann ripped himself off.

Yeah, I totally like the TV series cast better than the movie.

I didn't see Dukes of Hazzard, but I heard it was the same thing.

And I don't think there needs to be an A-Team movie either - or a prequel story could work for that and we see them in Vietnam and get set up and so forth, then the trial and escape to Los Angeles. They can use a younger cast for that because the TV series took place 10 years AFTER those events.

The Miami Vice movie didn't totally annoy me. Jamie Foxx did a better job filling Rico's shoes than did Collin Ferrell with portraying Sonny. But while the movie lacked Don Johnson there, it certainly lacked Edward James Olmos!

The TV show kicked the movie's butt - and the movie felt like just a 2-hour TV special anyway.

Doesn't Don Johnson think that he's gay now?

I just watched an interesting episode: "Evan."

Sonny's old Academy buddy Evan Freed is an ATF agent now with a death wish. Apparently, he and another guy, Mike, came through their training together and joined the force together.

Mike refused to go on stings in gay bars because he'd be recognized - he was gay.

Evan transferred out of Miami Metro Police because he didn't want to work with him because he was gay.

Sonny didn't know what to say or do. The department was trying to retire Mike as they discriminated pretty badly against gays.

Mike apparently got himself shot in a gas station robbery while he was off-duty. It was probably an attempt at suicide they think. (or it could have been him trying to prove he was as brave as any "man's man" on the force - but they'll never know.)

Both Evan and Sonny have felt guilty about that for years. Sonny confesses the story up to Rico.

Well, Evan felt he couldn't live with himself after that and wound up getting killed by a gun-runner in this episode.

It's interesting because it does drive home sympathy for the gays' plight and if Don Johnson is an experimenting homosexual these days (I hate labels - that this person IS gay or something - he lived most of his life as a heterosexual - so are gay people going to say he wasn't really True-Straight then? Nah - I still think a lot of people have choices) - the topic is very interesting - and progressive for '80's TV (this episode was 1985).

Anyway, it was pretty unexpected for Miami Vice.

The show ends in a typical shoot-out in a currently deserted shipyard in the middle of the night (as seen in the movie, and about every-other-episode).