Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Yeah, I got the action figures. I'm not a fan of the exagerrated charicatures but they are the REAL Vice cops so I had to get them. It would be cool if Sideshow or Hot Toys made 12" figures. I'd buy them in a.... if you'll excuse the bad Don Johnson song... Heartbeat.

I can't stand anything associated with the movie. It was a mistake and I knew it when I heard they were filming it without DJ or PMT. I do not like re-imaginings in any form (don't get me started on Galactica, don't even mention it) but there is no way they could have continued where the series ended (you'll see why). It would have to have been an alternate reality storyline and would definitely have to address the fact that Crockett and Tubbs are two aging Vice cops that had been on the force for most of their careers and were tired of dealing with the corrupt judicial system and were beginning to enforce their own system of personal justice (that they could get away with). I don't think I could buy that Sonny's son followed in his footsteps. Caroline took him away from Sonny because she did not want him exposed to that lifestyle so I think he would have chosen a different career, maybe even became a football player that Sonny wanted to be before he injured himself. The problem with most of these franchises being made into films is that they waited 20 years to make them. I wanted to see Vice made into a feature back in the early 90's and reunite the cast. It would have been an epic along the lines as Heat. Instead, we get two contemporary clowns "posing" as Crocket and Tubbs in name only and Michael Mann ripping off his own cliches. Thank God for DVD. Now, if they would just hurry up and release the rest of them.

The end of "Prodigal Son" was awesome. Valerie came through in that shoot-out and backed up Rico, and Sonny brought down a helicopter! I thought that Gene Simmons' character would get away and he was just buzzing Sonny or swooping in to shoot him down - but dang, Sonny got in a kill shot there!

I don't think I ever saw how the series ends - no spoilers at the moment please. But I know that I moved and my parents divorced around '88-'89 and thus my television viewing and everything else was interrupted. I think Star Trek The Next Generation was all I wound up following at that point.

Miami Vice was probably the longest lasting '80's action show that I watched. The A-Team and Knight Rider were likely over by then, as was the Dukes of Hazzard. Only The A-Team came as close to being too cool like Miami Vice - but the stories for "Vice" were just deeper and more hardcore. There's very few episodes of The A-Team that were that powerful - but when General Fulbright died when they went back to Vietnam - that was one of those moments.

Back to Miami Vice, I really enjoyed the Swytek and Zito episode "Made For Each Other" with Izzy and Noogie. That was too funny and cool to see the other vice cops in action as well. It's sometimes difficult to picture Stan and Larry as cops in the same vein as the Strike Team on The Shield or something - but they have their moments. Larry reminds me of Jim Carey a bit in Season 1. And I could see Stan as a younger version of Al Bundy or something.

Meanwhile, Sonny is kind of an idiot for not thinking more of Gina. She's very into him and he can get his way with her - but she's worth his interest, too. I was honestly scared for her when she got shot by the Columbian death squad.

Now I don't remember if Valerie lives, or if Rico hooks up with Trudy the way they were portraying it in the film? (you can tell me that).

I found Bushido on my DVDs - but I have like 6 episodes to watch before I get to that one.

Miami Vice was such a good show! Oh - I'll see Brother In Arms before Bushido. So if it was that good, I'm sure I'll comment about that.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I just watched "Where the Busses Don't Run."

Dang that was a great episode!

It kept me guessing until the end. For a moment there I thought that Weldon was Acarro by a different name even. That his partner helped him hide the body foreshadows an episode in which I remember Crockett went to Aruba or somewhere and just shot a guy who'd shot Tubbs. Cops who are partners would do anything for each other, often.

Another episode, I think the New York one, reminded me of how little they are paid to risk their lives as the banker conspirator who laid out Latin America's debt to them, revealed his research that Tubbs had only $300 and Crockett $600 in their bank accounts. I know that with inflation today, that really sounds like limited money, but still - it really is a wonder that the majority of cops don't illegally suppliment their income (like on The Shield) because there's no way they earn enough while they watch criminals have the life and get away with the big payoffs. (Though as shown in "Lombard," the crime bosses pay their own sort of price.)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The episode you're probably thinking of sounds like the season 4 ender so I won't give anything away but it was not Tubbs that Crocket was seeking justice for.

Yeah, Jullian Beck's dialogue in Prodigal Son always made on impression on me about the real world of money and salaries. "Money is a commodity, like air or water. We can make more of it by loaning it to those that don't have it," and Calderone when he taunts Tubbs at the end of the pilot episode "Come on you $400 a week cop," illustrates the reality of injustice in a corrupt capitalist society when those we pay to protect us are given so little and the only resistance to the temptations of moral corruption are to hold steadfast to your convictions, beliefs, and oath as a police officer to uphold the law and to serve the people. It's an upside down world we live in where athletes and actors are paid millions to entertain but policeman and firefighters are paid average wages for risking their own lives and protecting all of ours. It becomes easy to see why so many cops go dirty as Crocket and Tubbs have seen happen all to often. Weldon in his obsession to bring down Arcaro went off the deep end and decided to enforce the law of Hamurabbi because he knew the system would fail to prosecute him on some loophole technicality.

Quote Originally Posted by decadentdave View Post
    The episode you're probably thinking of sounds like the season 4 ender so I won't give anything away but it was not Tubbs that Crocket was seeking justice for.
    Then if I had to guess (also because of predictable plotlines and her limited character use) I'd say that Sonny's cover is blown and Caroline Crockett is murdered in some attempt to get at Sonny. Perhaps Tubbs and Castillo look the other way as Sonny does what he feels compelled to do as some fat cat drug dealer brags about being safe from extradition to the United States. I clearly remember that Sonny had some good cause to just blow him away while he sat in his lawn chair along the beach.

I hope they used "In The Air Tonight" again for that moment. It is so definitive of Miami Vice!

I also think your exposition on Julian Beck's role and the facts facing cops and society at large concerning the base level of our capitalist society showed really superior insight. Do you follow "The Shield" at all? I forgot as we haven't had much to post in that thread until we start one for the new season come January. That is definitely your kind of show, as it is what prompted me to get back into Miami Vice.

Weldon in his obsession to bring down Arcaro went off the deep end and decided to enforce the law of Hamurabbi because he knew the system would fail to prosecute him on some loophole technicality.
    But the show makes our sympathies lie with Weldon. They did a good job there.

It really sucks that there's no word on Season 3 and you've really made me want to see the ending of Season 4 now!

Bzzzzzzz. Sorry, Hans. Would you like to go for Double Jeopardy where the scores can really change?

Nope. That's not what happens but I'll take "In the Air Tonight" over the song they do use. Let's just say that the setup comes in season 3 to Peter Gabriel's "We Do What Were Told" and I'll leave it at that.

And yes, I love the Shield. Best cop show ever. Besides Vice, of course!

Sonny and Rico make Vic and Shane really look like sewer scum, huh?

Well, because of what you said before about Sheena Easton being on Vice, now I kind of remember - I think Sonny marries her and the drug dealer kills her...

How am I doing for Double-Jeopardy?

Well, I just watched an awesome episode where Trudy shot her first kill. It was definitely a fair and legal shooting, they were fired on and she saved Sonny's life probably. But IAD was all over her about it and causing her to doubt herself.

Meanwhile, the emotional impacts of the shooting caused Trudy to return to her old boyfriend who took her to "drug parties" where she got a lead on one of his friends who was dealing.

Ultimately the episode was about when a cop is on and off-duty, and how Trudy couldn't stop being a cop for convenience.

In the end, she seemed to hesitate as an unarmed dealer was barreling down on her, but Sonny punched him out. She still would have been justified shooting him and it was actually disturbing that she did not. Good acting.

It was cool that they finally showcased Olivia Brown (Trudy) in this episode and she proved she could also ACT!

Nicely done.

Thought I would pop in here with a trivial side-note. I remember living in SD and the fashions people (we) wore in the eighties. Linen dinner jackets, thin pastel colored ties, grey shoes. All heavily influenced by MV. Getting all dressed up for a night on the town. Going to a bar (I can't remember the name) just below the 805 interchange by North Park. Dancing to a "New Wave" cover band. Or going to Humphreys on the bay to see Spyro Gyra (Progressive Jazz) 91X was the hot station then. Playing all those hits from Miami Vice etc. Ok I'll go away now.