Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senility, thy name is Rod Stewart

Can we please take up a collection to put this guy in a home where he can get the help he so obviously desperately needs?

I'll be the first to admit it: I love the dude's old stuff. He rocked, pure and simple. You'd be extremely hard-pressed to find a better rock album than Every Picture Tells a Story. Sure, like many other 70s rockers, he utterly descended into the depths of hell in the 80s, but he seemed to redeem himself in the 90s (especially with When We Were the New Boys and an awesome Unplugged performance).

But then he "reinvented" himself, recording not one, but three albums worth of songs "from the American songbook." These are great songs, don't get me wrong. I love to hear Sinatra or Billie Holiday singing them, but Rod's voice isn't suited for them.

When I heard several months ago that his next album would be a rock album, I was ecstatic. Maybe someone gave the guy a punch in the gut and pointed out how ridiculous he was being. This could be a return to greatness, or maybe even a less sucktacular album to end his career on.

Then I heard it was an album of all covers, of "great rock n roll classics." Still sounded like a good idea. He's not exactly a great songwriter; though he's written some great songs, most of his best stuff has been covers. Visions of songs by Zeppelin, Hendrix, maybe Elvis or Cash, ran through my head.

And then I saw the track listing. The songs aren't bad songs, but hardly a lineup of the great classics of the genre. I figured I'd pick it up when it hit stores anyway, just to enjoy the return to form.

Luckily for my wallet, I listened to some samples online earlier. I have no idea what the misguided decision that he's a crooner has done to Rod's rock sensibilities, but after hearing this carp, I have no doubt that Rod needs to be locked away. Perhaps with heavy medication, the fugly young psycho who screamed the hell out of "I Ain't Superstitious" may be brought back to life. But none of us need to see (or hear) a real life version of South Park's parody from a few years ago, butchering some old Irving Berlin number and then carpping his pants onstage.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Rod Stewart is still putting out albums? My curiosity forced me to go look at amazon.com where I found this review:

6 of 10 people found the following review helpful:

Better Out Than In?, October 11, 2006
    Reviewer: fpr (West Seneca, NY USA) - See all my reviews
    Remember the last time you had a delightful evening of bad draft beer followed by a three-burrito nightcap? The next morning (into the afternoon) the smell of your inevitable gas was nothing shy of punishing! As much as you might not want to offend, the "better out than in" theory wins out and close friends and family suffer for it.

Obviously, Rod is letting that old familure "better out than in" theory win out at this late stage of his career. For the fourth time in as many releases, we get a collection of ghastly covers. Maybe not room-clearing stench, but certainly room-clearing noise! What a shame that someone who mattered as much as Stewart from the mid-60's to the mid-80's could be reduced to this. What really infuriates me, however, is the fact that it did not need to come to this for Rod. The entire rock community (especially our heroes of the `60's and 70's) loves him. In the matter of days, he could get a bunch of Cracker Jack collaborators together and create something new and possibly even quite good.

Come on Rod, it's time to actually matter again. And you're never going to matter by sending people running from rooms!
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

"Remember the last time you had a delightful evening of bad draft beer followed by a three-burrito nightcap? The next morning (into the afternoon) the smell of your inevitable gas was nothing shy of punishing!"

Quote of the day.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux fills my heart with gladness, takes away all my sadness. Ease my trouble, that's...what Chux does.

In the morning, Caesar, please don't say you love me. 'Cause you know I'll only kick you out the door.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Oh Chux-ie, I wish I'd never seen your faaaaaaace.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138 View Post
    Oh Chux-ie, I wish I'd never seen your faaaaaaace.
    I wasn't aware that you had.

He's "posted a picture of himself". I'm now infatuated (ooh OOH!).
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.