Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer problem

As some of you know I've been having computer problems (I've been using the roommates sparingly). It started about 3 weeks ago. I was online chatting with a friend and the computer would periodically freeze up for about 10 seconds. It did it 3 times so I figured I'd just restart. I restart but it doesn't boot up and instead I get the blue screen of death and a warning.

Not THAT big of a deal. I still have my copy of XP so I figure I'll just reload and at the same time just reformat and wipe my HD. I attempt to load XP and it reformats fine but when it's copying the XP files to the folder it won't load some files and says that my disc may be bad. I humor the computer and get my roommates copy of XP and it does the same thing. There are about 40 or so files that just won't copy into the folders when I try to load XP. Most of them are .sys, .chm. and .icm files. I have no clue what the heck the problem is. I've been getting parts from Best Buy and putting them in and then taking them back. I've already tried a new hard drive and disk drive. I'm gonna try and entirely new motherboard next but I just wanna see if anyone at all can give even a little bit of help.

I'm not computer stupid by any means but this one is baffling me to the fullest. If the motherboard doesn't work I'm just gonna swallow my pride and call up the pros of Geek Squad probably.

Thanks in advance.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Did you let your mom anywhere near the machine? It could've gotten a virus.

Sorry, couldn't resist. And I know jack about hardware, so I'll be no help.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

IM programs aren't usually that secure, I know ICQ's software got found with a major hole 2 weeks ago that was foisting viruses on folks. You could have a boot-sector virus, not that common but possible, it could have gotten into the motherboard's firmware. I have no clue what to do about that though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Leave it to Slicker to turn his computer frigid...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    As some of you know I've been having computer problems (I've been using the roommates sparingly). It started about 3 weeks ago. I was online chatting with a friend and the computer would periodically freeze up for about 10 seconds. It did it 3 times so I figured I'd just restart. I restart but it doesn't boot up and instead I get the blue screen of death and a warning.

Not THAT big of a deal. I still have my copy of XP so I figure I'll just reload and at the same time just reformat and wipe my HD. I attempt to load XP and it reformats fine but when it's copying the XP files to the folder it won't load some files and says that my disc may be bad. I humor the computer and get my roommates copy of XP and it does the same thing. There are about 40 or so files that just won't copy into the folders when I try to load XP. Most of them are .sys, .chm. and .icm files. I have no clue what the heck the problem is. I've been getting parts from Best Buy and putting them in and then taking them back. I've already tried a new hard drive and disk drive. I'm gonna try and entirely new motherboard next but I just wanna see if anyone at all can give even a little bit of help.

I'm not computer stupid by any means but this one is baffling me to the fullest. If the motherboard doesn't work I'm just gonna swallow my pride and call up the pros of Geek Squad probably.

Thanks in advance.

Are you doing clean instal . . where you format the hard drive before you re-install??? Also can you get a list of the files that are not loading? I know when I did a repair of my XP a few months ago it was not ready a certain file off my disc. So I went to another computer and dropped the file I needed from the dics to a thumb drive. Then I had the thumb drive plugged in when I did the re-install and everything was fine.

I also remember comming across a RUN command to repair XP while you are in Windows, I'll see if I can find it . . that way you don't lose anything from an install.
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

I'm doing a clean install. I've already lost everything on the hard drive so I'm not worried about it.

Some of the files that come to mind are: cyzcoins.ilm? and cdaudio.sys. I'll go and run it again to get some more.

Today I also tried a brand new motherboard and got the same thing. Literally the only things left for me to try are my video card, my processor, and my power supply. I've tried everything else including all of the cables.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Here's a list of the files that its having trouble loading:
    msconfig.exe
    scrnsave.scr
    cdaudio.sys
    cinemst2.sys
    cyycoins.chm
    czcoins.chm
    digiras.chm
    dvdplay.exe
    kodak_dc.icm
    srgb.icm
    streamci.dll
    tosdvd.sys
    tsbvcap.sys
    tsbyuv.dll
    usbcamd.sys
    usbcamd2.sys
    vdmindvd.sys
    wowfax.dll
    wowfaxui.dll
    fsvga.sys
    usrcntra.dll
    usrcoina.dll
    usrdpa.dll
    usrdtea.dll
    usrfaxa.dll
    usrlbva.dll
    usrlmnka.exe
    usrprbda.exe
    usrtosa.dll
    usrdspia.dll
    usrshuta.exe
    usrsvpia.dll
    usrv42a.dll
    usrv80a.dll
    usrvoica.dll
    usrvoica.dll
    usrvpa.dll
    fetnd5.sys
    enum1394.sys
    battc.sys
    compbatt.sys
    modemcsa.sys
    audstub.sys
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Maybe it's your RAM. If I were you I'd upgrade to about 2 gigs.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

After looking around the net a bit I found this . . .

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...pic=26419&st=0

seems to be the same problem . . . . they suggested trying a memory test. I'm not sure if that will work or not, but instead of spending more money I would at least try it . . . what would it hurt?

http://www.memtest.org/
    Come see Dar' Live™ Aug 12-15 in Orlando!!!
    You're slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
    Hackers in hollywood movies are phenomenal. All they need to do is "c:\> hack into fbi"

That's the exact same site I found Dar. So I tried pulling one of my RAM sticks and look at me now!! So it turned out that one of my sticks of RAM was bad and causing XP to not load properly.

Thanks alot for trying so hard Dar. I really appreciate it since I know it took me nearly 20 minutes to find that exact page.&
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!