Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

URGENT: Anyone know of a site that actually has current news?

Okay, long story short:

I woke up this morning, and there was a wildfire some 20 miles east of my house. I drove to work, about 30 miles south-southwest of my house. I just found out (about an hour ago) that the one road in between work and home has been closed due to the same fire.

I've already called home and verified that we're not in the path of the fire (thank God). But after scouring everything I can think of online, I can find no real info. It's the top story on Yahoo! News, and I can find the same article from AP on about a thousand sites.

But none of the sites that should be providing info on the closure are doing so. The Forest Service Fire Incident site hasn't been updated in six days, and (apparently because it's not caused by a crash or construction) the closure isn't mentioned on any of the official sites for various transportation and safety agencies. Even the local news channels only offer streaming media, and I can't view that here on this computer.

So does anyone know of any site where I can get the up-to-the-minute info that the internet supposedly is known for? After calling home, I'm not worried, but it'd be really nice to know if I need to plan to drive a full hour out of the way to get home.

To quote a wise Gungan, "Any hep here'd be hot."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, we're on seperate coasts so i don't know specifics, but my advice would be to try the news websites of local news stations in your area. For example, in the off season, I live near dayton, so i can check their news sites (WDTN, etc) for up to date traffic conditions, "Breaking news," etc.

Just thinking that main sites might be too general for what you need. But yeah, try local news stations websites. Hope everything turns out well.

PS- NECA got the Harry Potter license. We can now complain about not finding a Malfoy, but NECA style.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Yeah, tried 'em all. I know that four firefighters have died now, so it's one hell of a blaze, but still can't find anything about the road. The best I have is hearsay from folks who've called here for various reasons.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Were you able to get home Chux?
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Yeah, second Fretts question with some qualifiers- are you still out of dangers way and all?? From the scenes on the news it looks pretty damn nasty, hope everything is still alright, PLEASE keep us posted...

On a side note, seing the area on TV, all's I could think was "MAN, I thought it looked a bit more like here where Chux lives" but I was wrong, it looks nothing like my mental picture, you kinda live in a desert- too bad it took a tragedy opf this magnitude to set me straight, but at least now I'm caught up

And just to be PC- I only happen to know Chux personally, which is why I focus on him in particular, I hope eveyone from this board and just in general gets through this alright, and I hope they catch the guy who supposedly lit the whole mess in the first place, he will do some hard time methinks Isobars&
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudonicus View Post
    Yeah, second Fretts question with some qualifiers- are you still out of danger's way and all??
    I'll add another qualifier, Chux, are you still out of Dengar's way, too ?

The fire was pretty bad on Thursday. It started about 20 miles east, and ended up about 10 miles southwest by the next morning. At one point, I could see flames about five miles away. Thursday and Friday, the sky was black and ash was falling like snow. It was pretty frightening, I must admit.

Yeah, it is definitely desert out here. And we're never out of Dengar's way. You have to constantly keep an eye--AAAHH!! He was just at the window!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Glad to hear you're all okay, Chux.

Don't be one of those people that holds on in the face of danger (I'm envisioning you flapping at this massive fire with a pillow case for some reason, mad about your new house getting threatened by the fire) if you need to get outta there, get outta there!!!! We've got room for your brood in frosty southern Ontario.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Chuck Norris learned how to stand up to a fire by none other than El Chuxter. :nards:

In fact, Chuck Norris took his name from El Chuxter. :nards:

I do hope they catch the punks who are lighting this fires out West. Hell, i might fly out there and start assisting in the search: $500,000 buys a lot of SW toys, pays off my tuition and gets me a car that runs.

I do hope and pray that you and yours remain safe during this crisis. I mean, after all, who else can i complain about not finding a new Malfoy to next spring?!?!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"