Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How often do you get brand new DVDs that pixillate or are otherwise damaged?

I am so sick of this: I buy something and I start enjoying it, and then the picture goes all pixillated and digitized, and skips around with intermittent sound!

It just happened to me with Lock Up and I ordered that from Amazon as it's not easy to find in stores any more.

But I've also hated it with box sets like Star Trek: Enterprise and Miami Vice - where I refuse to return a whole box set, just demand they break open a new set and give me an undamaged replacement disk.

But the effort really bugs me - especially when they can record the darn DVDs for pennies and usually charge around $14 for each movie. Grrrrr.

I'd expect some quality! You didn't have these problems in the good old days of VCR tapes.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Once ever, and I could see the disc was defective, there was visable warping in between the layers.

Is it possible it's your DVD player freaking out at a layer change or chapter change? Maybe your lens is dusty or something.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Once ever, and I could see the disc was defective, there was visable warping in between the layers.

Is it possible it's your DVD player freaking out at a layer change or chapter change? Maybe your lens is dusty or something.
    I suppose it's possible - the dust scenerio especially, however other DVDs play just fine with no troubles, and the place in the film where these interruptions occur is always the same.

I can't see layer changes on the DVDs - so I'm not sure what you're looking at. I can turn it in the light and sometimes will see scratches - or I think they are - lines in the film. The unfortunate thing is that these are brand new DVDs that I just open. While at the same time, I have DVDs that I actually scratched by accident, yet they play fine.

How do you all clean your DVD player lenses? I bought mine at the Good Guys and they are out of business now. It's a JVC so I'm sure that Frye's or Circuit City or BestBuy could service it, but as I described the scenerio to you, I'm not sure it would be worth the money.

Do any of you use those lens cleaning discs you can buy? Do they work? Or are they actually bad for your machine?

Recently a Miami Vice disc # 3 of 3 in a box set was botched. BestBuy swapped me discs from another box set and that #3 disc played perfectly fine. Therefore it appears that I solve the problem in that case with no extra money expended - just an inconvenient trip to the video store.

So those inconveniences peeve me enough that it prompted my original topic.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The only problem I have ever had was with the Black Hawk Down 3-disc edition.
    One of the bonus features I really wanted to see wouldn't play at all so I returned to Target and exchanged it. The second one did the same thing and I returned it again thinking it may have been a bad batch of DVDs...only to have the third one do it also.
    This time I tried the third one on a friend's DVD player and it worked just fine. My DVD player just sucked.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Hmmm. I spent a lot on what was at the time the highend JVC 7-disc DVD player. I wanted a machine I could leave the whole Star Wars saga in, or dump out most TV series box sets into (like all of any given year of Smallville for example).

The machine has been well-treated and might be super-sensitive though - reading absolutely everything and stumbling on manufacturing / DVD writing errors. I don't know.

Its only happened to me one time as far as I can remember... it was with Band of Brothers and I was very ****ed.

Oh, considering that Band of Brothers used to cost $89, I'd be p*d-off too.

The set cost me $59 in their revised pricing, but I'd still be made as I'd want to watch the series uninterrupted (which fortunately I was able to).

I'm sure the store you puchased BoB from allowed you to exchage a disc?

I'd never trade them the whole box set in that event - as I would want to continue the story from where I was watching it - not be rechecking CDs I'd already watched for quality control issues.

This has only happened to me when I have rented. Quite alot actually. It's irritating. I don't like to buy DVD's right away, because of a couple of reasons. I HATE PREVIEWS! I didn't buy them to be inundated by long gone movie previews. It really bugs me (vent) Also a lot of movies are released in a "director's cut" which usually is worth waiting for. That's why I rent first. So far, I haven't encountered a skip or pixilation in a new DVD yet. That would surely make me mad. Of couse, I haven't even opened some of the DVD's I've bought yet. That's the problem with "collecting" the movies you love, but have seen already.

Yeah, you really need to watch them when you buy them, at least during the amount of time that the return priviledge has not expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I suppose it's possible - the dust scenerio especially, however other DVDs play just fine with no troubles, and the place in the film where these interruptions occur is always the same.
    Some DVDs have less data on them so the tracks can be spaced further apart or at the more stable center of the disk.

I can't see layer changes on the DVDs - so I'm not sure what you're looking at. I can turn it in the light and sometimes will see scratches - or I think they are - lines in the film. The unfortunate thing is that these are brand new DVDs that I just open. While at the same time, I have DVDs that I actually scratched by accident, yet they play fine.
    Layer changes are in the movie, they're supposed to be seamless but sometimes they pause for a second, there are multiple layers on the DVD but you can't really see them with the naked eye. I dunno exactly what you mean by scratches, sometimes the grooves in the disk will catch the light oddly though. Some DVD surface scratches don't interfere with the light reflecting, some do.

How do you all clean your DVD player lenses? I bought mine at the Good Guys and they are out of business now. It's a JVC so I'm sure that Frye's or Circuit City or BestBuy could service it, but as I described the scenerio to you, I'm not sure it would be worth the money.

Do any of you use those lens cleaning discs you can buy? Do they work? Or are they actually bad for your machine?
    I just buy the DVD lens cleaning disks, they're basically just a CD with a brush at one point in the disk, you play it the way the instructions say. I dunno if it's bad for it or not, but it does seem to help.

Blue2th, my mom rents a lot from netflix, her cheap DVD player has trouble with some disks that don't appear to be damaged, I suggested she use her PS2 to play them and that worked. They get a fair amount of damaged disks though, but the return policy is ok.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.