Hybrid View

The Official Daily Show/Colbert Report Thread!

I don't really have anything to say at the moment. I just uploaded the rockin' Samantha Bee avatar to spite Caesar and his defense of that half-baked fake newsman Borat, and realized there's no single place to discuss this, the greatest hour of television. So discuss, and make this post worthwhile!

I'll say this much: I'm glad to have the goofy-looking lady back. The "new blood" has yet to really prove itself, and with Colbert, Carrell, and the funny Corrdry brother having moved to other projects, and Mo Rocca facedown in an alley somewhere, she's now officially the funniest correspondent on the show. Last week's bit about her coming home to Columbus (despite being from Canada) and completely BS'ing the whole report was comedy gold. Especially her breastfeeding her baby while at waiting on tables at Hooters.

Jon?
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 11-05-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

She's certainly no Sacha Baron Cohen but I think Sam Bee is awesome, I'm not spited at all by her in an avatar. She rocks!

The Daily Show, however, has gone downhill for me over the years. It's still a good show but not what it once was. It doesn't help that a much superior show, The Colbert Report, comes on right afterward to show it up more.

For me the funniest half hour on TV is The Office followed by The Colbert Report. Those are the only 'must see' shows on my schedule, in fact there have been many times that I didn't bother with The Daily Show only making sure to turn it on for the last 5 minutes so I could catch Jon's interaction with Stephen.

TDS is still a good show though, I do enjoy it whenever I manage to catch it. I still have some of the old episodes with Craigers on tape though and I miss those old days sometimes. Jon Stewart is great too, though. I think I wish it wasn't so political all the time...

I do have one complaint about The Colbert Report though, the one thing I don't like is Tek Jansen. WTF is that nonsense? I actually hate those segments and turn the channel, what a waist of airtime. Other than that, the show is comedic gold!

Sam Bee taking some downtime last year was great because it was for her pregnancy and they replaced her with her husband, Jason Jones, an actor who has really done a lot to become a good addition to the show, and when Sam came back they did so much with it without being loud and ridiculous. TDS is still pretty much the most solid entertainment I get any day of the week, I kinda wish they'd go a full hour or at least dump half the interviews - too many lame ones. However, I really think Sam Bee is all wrong for "This Week in God"... everybody has been since Colbert left.

Dan Bakkedahl is somewhat funny but does often need to be reined in some more, his segments generally end up going astray too often.

John Oliver, the british guy (the one with the glasses), is generally pretty funny but his pieces are not targeted enough yet.

Rob Riggle hasn't been funny much of his time, he's gotten better in the last few eps but ultimately he does feel out of place so far, he needs to lock his "persona" down to something a little stronger.

Lewis Black is a genius.

Demetri Martin's "Trendspotting" is only funny about 10% of the time, there is some gold in his bits but it takes a lot of digging to get to it.

John Hodgman absolutely deserves the success he's now enjoying, his near-deadpan science correspondant stuff should get its own special awards.

Dave Gorman, the other British guy (the facial hair one), is fairly funny, he's hardly their best and like the other Brit he doesn't really feel pointed enough in his reporting, but he does make me laugh.

Aasif Mandvi, the Middle Eastern guy, is utterly hilarious, his delivery is always spot on, he has some really sharp stuff written for him and he uses it so well, and I hope they'll start using him for bits beyond the middle east material - not that he isn't great at it, but he's got more, I can tell.

Larry Wilmore hasn't had much screentime yet but as Senior Black Correspondant he may have some of the funniest lines of 2006, he has perfect delivery and a real pointed style to his writing that isn't just the average "angry black guy" material floating around today, it's smarter than that and has more to say. Like Aasif, I really hope they give him more material to work with beyond the Black Correspondant role... sorry, "Senior" Black Correspondant.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I hadn't seen Lewis Black on the show in so long, I thought he'd left totally for a career in crappy cinema.

Totally in agreement on This Week in God. Colbert should've taken it with him.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Larry Wilmore hasn't had much screentime yet but as Senior Black Correspondant he may have some of the funniest lines of 2006, he has perfect delivery and a real pointed style to his writing that isn't just the average "angry black guy" material floating around today, it's smarter than that and has more to say. Like Aasif, I really hope they give him more material to work with beyond the Black Correspondant role... sorry, "Senior" Black Correspondant.
    The man is a genius when it comes to The Office ! ! !

I think that TDS has turned into the new SNL: not because it's cutting edge comedy (sometimes it is), but because its actors (don't try to use that old The People's Court line about them not being actors, face it) end up getting better jobs elsewhere.

Demetri Martin's comedy takes some work and focus, so it's easy to miss much of his humor. I like it. Too bad he can't sing poorly and fake-play guitar more.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Last night's live election results show wasn't that great, I really felt like they should have had Jon and Stephen on a single desk a la CNN and such, it was not the crossover reporting it should have been. There were 3 really great moments last night:
    - Jon Stewart not getting censored when he asked the audience if they were applauding because a guy got s**t on by an elephant;
    - The "entry polls" piece was awesome, especially that sleazy last part;
    - Colbert throwing a tantrum near the end of his show.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.