Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    No, the Final Cut was released under Pink Floyd, even though Richard Wright was not performing with them at the time and Roger Waters wrote all the songs.
    I was only joking with KH. The liner notes say "a requiem for the post war dream by roger waters performed by pink floyd." A lot of Floyd fans call The Final Cut Roger's first solo album and A Momentary Lapse of Reason David's third solo album, although I'm not one of those fans. Had anybody said either of those albums were their favorite I would have given them crap about it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I love MLOR, I love Dogs of War and One Slip. I read somewhere that Dogs of War was voted one of the worst songs of all time(was a few years back, dont remember where). Not my favorite album but a good one none the less.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I love Momentary Lapse of Reason. Essentially, I was never a fan of any of the Syd Barrett stuff. Roger certainly brought a level of epicness to the writing, but it is Gilmour's guitar that is equally iconic of Pink Floyd. It's a shame they couldn't get along and that Roger has to be such an arrogant arse about it all because as a team, they really had something special. The result is that Roger needed to bring together a diverse group to pull off what Gilmour could do on his own. And Gilmore is a decent enough writer on his own so that's nothing to shake a stick at either.

I suppose I'll go with Wish You Were Here for favorite album.

For song, I'll pick "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".

I don't think I've heard Meddle in its entirety, otherwise it might be my favorite Pink Floyd album.

Difficult to say I'm going to give it to the Wall. While I don't listen to it much anymore it is definately their most creative album. I find most of their other album have those part 123 songs which although I like them make it hard for me to vote for since there are only a handful of songs on the album.

song - Fearless
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

again, I have to go with what is seared into my brain from hearing it for the first time:

"Money" with its crazy time signature

from "Dark Side of the Moon"

As far as the Barrett stuff goes, I saw Floyd live in 94, and they opened with "Astronomy Domine" which was completely reworked into a pulsating Rock anthem. It brought down the house, and frankly, I thought it was the highlight of the show!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000 View Post
    As far as the Barrett stuff goes, I saw Floyd live in 94, and they opened with "Astronomy Domine" which was completely reworked into a pulsating Rock anthem. It brought down the house, and frankly, I thought it was the highlight of the show!
    I got to see them live in Cleveland in '87 on the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour. Can't remember much about what they played, but I was amazed that somehow, I managed to get a contact buzz off the cloud of pot smoke hanging in the air in an open-air stadium!

Yesterday at Borders, I saw that they had the Live at Pompeii DVD, which I will need to get (my friend gave me the audio files and they're quite good). I still don't have The Wall film or PULSE (DVD or CD) but they are definitely going on birthday/Christmas lists. They occasionally get in some gems at Borders; earlier this summer I got the London '66-'67 album which is pretty trippy (but you're not missing much if you don't have it).

What are some good solo albums from the band members? I have Gilmour's On An Island from this year which is pretty good and very similar to the later Floyd stuff, but actually better in some places. iTunes has several more solo albums which I will look into.

As far as the Barrett stuff (just Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Jugband Blues from A Saucerful of Secrets, and five or so other songs, really), I like it. At first, I really hated it, but I grew to appreciate it more. Jugband Blues is just so damn sad, especially when you take into account that it was his last song with the band before he went nuts.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

There's a CD that came with the big boxed set called the early singles that some good stuff on it, like "Arnold Layne", "Point Me at the Sky", "See Emily Play" and other stuff.

The only solo album I've listened to is "Amused to Death" by Waters. It was about as good as the post-Waters Floyd stuff.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

A friend from college probably has just about everything Pink Floyd. In college I borrowed the tapes and started listening from the first album. I don't recall how far I got, but I rememer liking the psychedelic garage band sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, particularly "Lucifer Sam" and "Astronomy Domine", and perhaps "Interstellar Overdrive" (I don't recall how that one goes other than the sample I just listened to on iTunes). Sometime after that, I saw a band called Jessamine play in a local bar. As I was listening, the lyrics to one song started to sound familiar, and I realized it was "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", which I recognized from listening to my friend's tape a year or two before.