Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuck it to a scalper today....

At my comic shop. This was a guy who unfortunately remembered me from when I used to buy off a flea market dealer (who recently got out of the figure business) several years back. Not a young guy either - gotta be at least in his late 40's. I'm ashamed to admit that I used to be firendly to this guy, even though I knew he was a scalpr, and once bought an AOTC Clone Pilot off the guy for retail price (likely because he had so many, he couldn't sell them). the bum must have no life, cuz his entire trunk was filled with HTF figures from SW, McFarlane, and others.

When the ROTS 2-packs came out last year, I ran into this guy in TRU in the SW section. This guy pretended act friendly to me, asking if I was still collecting, right before proceeding to grab every 2-pack with the 501st Clone in it. I was so furious, I walked out, wishing I'd asked the guy if he was "still scalping."

Last week, I see this guy is now selling the figs to my comic book shop, which now explians where the figs are going since the two flea market dealers are long out of the business. I ignored the guy last week, and when he tried to wave to me in the parking lot, I pretended I didn't see him. Well, today, as i'm going into the store, I see this idiot parked illegally, getting out of his car by the entrance, and I tried to ignore him. He yells out "hey, you still interested in star wars," and I completely blew him of, giving him a nasty "I'm not interested" while never stopping 'til I got in the store. Needless to say, I was extremely PO'd, wishing I could have told him off about how he's screwing little kids and true collectors out of figs, but it wasn't worth belaboring it. I'm just glad to not be lining this guy's pockets myself, but it's frustrating to know he's still out there screwing the rest of us out of figs just to make a fast buck while supplying comic shops. I'll never buy anything but comics from this store as a result now.
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

You called the cops on his illegal parking, right?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

LOL...probably should have, but he'd have likely been gone by the time they got there, and no way was I wasting time at that place once I saw there were no SW comics in this week.
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac View Post
    LOL...probably should have, but he'd have likely been gone by the time they got there, and no way was I wasting time at that place once I saw there were no SW comics in this week.
    subscribe to TFAW's newsletter. you'll get email updates with what's new in the world of comics. i almost never buy anything from them (though every blue moon they do have great sales), but i rarely miss a release date anymore.

So in what way did you stick it to this guy? You just blew him off? Meh...I was hoping you called the cops on his illegal parking. Hell you could have talked to him then for a few minutes until the police arrived...
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal View Post
    So in what way did you stick it to this guy? You just blew him off? Meh...I was hoping you called the cops on his illegal parking. Hell you could have talked to him then for a few minutes until the police arrived...
    I'm curious about that too! I've told Scalpers they were "Abhorrent pieces of Sh** who would rot in Hell" and said stuff to them. My buddy and i even showed fake interest in a peg warmer figure from the AOTC line only to turn a corner, sneak a peek and see the scalpher buy every last one he could find on the pegs: I think it was Jango Fett pilot. hehehehehe

Next time, don't be afraid to mouth off, release your anger! It gives you focus! Makes you stronger!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

My friends and I have done that to people who ask which ones will be valuable, if they seem like jerks. "You definitely want to get Lushros Dofine. I'm surprised no one's picked them all up yet. If I had enough money, I'd buy all of them myself!"

Of course, if they're nice, or grandmothers, or cute girls, I tell them the truth: ain't none of this going to be worth more, ever.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    ain't none of this going to be worth more, ever.
    WHAT?!? You mean the Freeze Frame Weequay I paid $500 for and the Luke Theater edition I paid $80 for have doubled or tripled in price yet?

Seriously though I just sold my carded figures to Brians Toys simply because they were willing to take the whole ball of wax. I got $2800 for everything from POTF2 to POTC. I know I could have gotten more but I didn't want to screw with it.

As far as scalper go there aren't many out here like in some areas. The only figure I bought from a "scalper" was at a dinky little con and the figure was the tan vested Jedi Luke and I paid $35 which I didn't want to pay but he came down from $50. Since I decided to open all my figures I had held off on opening this one since I had paid so much for it. Then I found one a a garage sale for $2 to open. Eventually I will trade or sell the other.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Hard times for scalpers these days, hard times...

...good riddance!

Dont think you really stuck it to him tagmac. He probably just thought you were in a bad mood.

When you talk to him next, ask him how he feels about scalpers. Great way to stick it to him with the start of a friendly conversation.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett