Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Transformers Classics: Keep 'em coming, Hasbro!

I have found, opened, and enjoyed all of the Transformers Classics figures thus far. (Well, not entirely true, as the 2-pack Prime vs Megatron hasn't showed up around here yet.)

I can say, unequivocably and without hesitation, THESE THINGS ROCK! You've done a great job of capturing the essence of some of these classic characters in updated forms that look great on a collector's shelf, and yet have amazing play value for the youngsters. This is a major step up from Cyberton/RID/Lame TF Line Du Jour (nice looking figures, lousy cartoons, and, well, folks like me really don't care a bit about them), and from the Alternators (beautiful statues, but tough as the dickens for even adults to transform).

There's only one problem: these are whetting my appetite for more. Many more. And Hasbro reps have hinted this line is a sort of "one-off" thing.

PLEASE RECONSIDER IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO DISCONTINUE THIS LINE ANY TIME IN OUR NATURAL LIFETIMES!

There are far too many classic characters who need to be made:

1) The balance of power is currently way off-kilter. We need more Decepticons. Lots more. How can this evil army be a credible threat if it's half the size of the forces of good? For starters, no one will complain if you repaint Starscream in blue and call him Thundercracker. I understand Skywarp's already taken care of, as an upcoming exclusive. Retooling of Ramjet and Starscream could also give us geeky fanboys Dirge and Thrust with minimal tooling cost for you. Think about it. Other than Clonetroopers, you'll never see collectors asking you to paint an existing character in a new color and sell it to us all over again.

2) Grimlock is still listed as "Dinobot Commander." It must be pretty lonely being an army of one. And, paleontology has come a long way since the original Diaclone sculpts were designed (and they weren't exactly up-to-date then). So, since we have a more accurate T-Rex for Grimlock, updated sculpts for Slag, Sludge, Swoop, and Snarl seem logical. (And forget the latter-day sales gimmick Mini-Con you're calling "Snarl.")

3) Soundwave. I don't even really need to say more, do I? CD player, iPod, car, helicopter, hell, even a garbage disposal. I don't care. As long as he has at least three minions, I'm fine with whatever his alt form is. (I shouldn't have to name the three most logical subordinates, but, just in case, Ravage, Rumble, and Laserbeak. And, once again, if you want to reissue Rumble and Laserbeak in different colors and call them Frenzy and Buzzsaw, no one will complain.)

4) There are a lot of Autobot cars who beg to be produced. First and foremost, Jazz (or Meister, or whatever you want to call him). Because the Autobots currently have no one to call Grimlock an "ugly sucka." The brothers Sideswipe and Sunstreaker aren't far behind, and Ironhide desperately needs to guard Prime. Ratchet, Smokescreen, Bluestreak, Prowl, Skids, Inferno, Red Alert, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Brawn, Huffer, Windcharger.... I could almost go on all day. But I won't. Let's just put the "Auto" back in "Autobot," hmm?

5) Blitzwing. Why make just one Triple Changer? Throw in Octane, too, if you don't mind.

6) Insecticons. The thought of what modern technology can do with Kickback, Shrapnel, or Bombshell makes me drool drooldrooldrool. (Sorry, cheesy G1 cartoon reference there theretherethere.)

7) Scorponok and Omega Supreme. You prove with every new kiddie line that you still own the rights to these names. Howsabout using them on updated versions of the original characters?

8) Shockwave. The original was amazing by the standards of the day. But so was the original Jetfire. And Megatron never has too many traitorous lieutenants.

9) How about some more movie characters? We already got Hot Rodimus, and Ultra Magnus is on the way, I hear. Kup, Scourge, and Cyclonus could be awesome figures if done better than the lame statues from 1986. I wouldn't mind having the first proper Arcee figure, either.

10) Gestalts. The upcoming Devastator looks rather cool, but take out Mixmaster and Hook, and throw in some guy named "Hightower," and you're not fooling anyone. Combaticons, Stunticons, or Aerialbots would be keen. (For some reason, no one ever seems to be so crazy about the Protectobots.) Shoot, if you just want to make Silverbolt, I doubt anyone would mind missing the other four (largely generic and interchangeable) Aerialbots. Just don't skimp on the Combaticons if you decide to produce them.

Please take these suggestions into consideration. You've got a lot of adult collectors actually excited about Transformers again, even moreso than with the Alternators (prior to re-releasing them all in every color of the rainbow and giving them as many old school names as possible). Don't let this fizzle out. Because, face it, the movie looks like it's going to suck hard. I wouldn't bank on that surefire fiasco to keep us interested.
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 11-22-2006 at 08:29 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Chux, if you haven't heard, Soundwave is coming as a 6" Titanium figure. it is a new sculpt done to look more like the G1 Cartoon Soundwave.

other than that, i too would love to see all of those characters being made in the Classics line. Please please take Chux's suggestions into consideration, Hasbro!!!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Chux, if you haven't heard, Soundwave is coming as a 6" Titanium figure. it is a new sculpt done to look more like the G1 Cartoon Soundwave.
    True, but the Titaniums are a totally different animal. I've passed on all the 6" Titaniums so far, and was only tempted by War Within Optimus Prime. I'll probably continue to pass unless there's a War Within Grimlock at some point. I love the smaller Titaniums, but the large ones don't seem to really cut the mustard for me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Hasbro, you must continue the Classics line, all those naysayer fans who won't buy the Movie line will fall out of collecting Transformers otherwise, this line is nearly everything everybody wants and could... nay, MUST continue. Plus, Chuxter there went to the trouble of spelling "whetting" correctly, that's gotta count for something.

From what I've seen, Titanium Soundwave is sculpted as the War Within version, he doesn't actually look like the cartoon version.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post

other than that, i too would love to see all of those characters being made in the Classics line. Please please take Chux's suggestions into consideration, Hasbro!!!

they are also re-releasing the original GI classic as well with both ravage and laserbreak. Can't wait for that to hit the local TRU. Looking forward to seeing the Titanium version as well. So far the only Soundwave I have is the Takara World's Smallest Transformers version.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Damn it! I've been fighting the urge to get back into Transformers collecting...and these have been CALLING me every time I step into TRU....

I think that you guys just broke me down into buying them....

So, I found Cliffjumper and Ramjet, Hasbro. I've never been so happy to own repaints of figures I already had, even at $10 each. Aside from Magnus/Skywarp, I'm all set on the Classics that are out. (Sorry, I don't count the Minicons. Those can rot for all I care.)

So, when can I start watching for Thundercracker, Soundwave, Jazz, Brawn, etc, etc, etc?

These appear to be selling very well even without a cartoon. I know of a lot of adults who haven't bought a TF in years (or maybe only got the Anniversary Prime) who are snatching up all of these Classics.

Food for thought.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

What's all out now state side? We only got Optimus and Megatron, and wave 1 up here.

Standard figures (Hasbro calls 'em "Deluxe"):
    Bumblebee
    [Hot] Rodimus
    Astrotrain
    Starscream
    Grimlock
    Mirage
    Cliffjumper
    Ramjet

Deluxe figures ("Voyager," for whatever reason--I don't understand the terminology):
    Optimus Prime
    Megatron
    Jetfire

Two-packs:
    Megatron vs Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp

There are also some assorted Minicons, if you care.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Two-packs:
    Megatron vs Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus vs Skywarp

There are also some assorted Minicons, if you care.
    Megatron and Optimus - is that where Megatron is the tank?

Magnus and Sjywarp - is that a US exclusive

I bought the minis cause they were on sale. Carp. Utter carp.