Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, the Prime/Megs two-pack is a resculpt of Prime that's a bit closer to the G1 version, and a tank Megatron that's quite close to an update of the G2 figure (remember, when he couldn't actually be a gun anymore).

Magnus/Skywarp is an exclusive. I think Target, which would make it a US exclusive.

There's also a Devastator, which I thought until reading JT's comments this morning was a new figure. Turns out it's a repaint of some Universe or RID or something-or-other figure.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Standard figures (Hasbro calls 'em "Deluxe"):

Deluxe figures ("Voyager," for whatever reason--I don't understand the terminology):
    The $10 pricepoint that Hasbro calls "deluxe" is called that because it's bigger than the $7 "basic" pricepoint (also called "scout class" in the previous TF line). So the $20 pricepoint cannot be "deluxe" since the $10 one is, which is why that next step up from $10 has been called "mega" until the previous TF line which renamed it "Voyager Class". The breakdown:
    • - $7 pricepoint: "basic" or "scout class", in the Classics line it's the minicon sets. Hasbro found in 2001 that basics sell the best by a large margin, it's what kept the TF line alive in the lean times.
    • - $10 pricepoint: "deluxe".
    • - $20 pricepoint: "mega" or "voyager class", this used to be a $15 pricepoint but Hasbro beefed it up a little and raised the price.
    • - $25 pricepoint: "ultra", this class is not used in the TF:Classics line.
    • - $40 pricepoint: "super" or "leader class", also not used in the Classics line.
    • - $50 pricepoint: "supreme", also not used in the Classics line.

Magnus vs Skywarp is a Target exclusive in the US, but like the Prime vs Megs 2pack they may make an international one as well. (The Prime vs Megs set is not so good though.)

There's also a Devastator, which I thought until reading JT's comments this morning was a new figure. Turns out it's a repaint of some Universe or RID or something-or-other figure.
    It's a repaint of one of the combiner teams from the TF:Energon line, not much of one since half the figures in that original version were fairly close to this look anyway.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

But, logically, since there is no smaller set of figures, why would the "basic" figures be "Deluxe"? And WTF do they mean by "Voyager"? These figures can travel? They're secretly from a crappy Trek spinoff? What?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The "Basics" pricepoint is handled by Minicons, and I don't care that you don't like them, they sold better than almost any other Transformers toy ever back in the Armada line so fanboyism won't help you there, it can only hurt your position.

I dunno why they changed the pricepoint names to "Scout" and "Voyager" and "Leader" classes, I don't care for them.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Why would you consider it "fanboyism" to not like the Minicons in the Classics line?

The name is "Classics." The implication is they are updates of classic characters. Popular or not, Minicons don't fit in the G1/G2 mythos, which appears to be the basis of the Classics line.

I'm not saying at all that Minicons are some horrible thing and we should all band together to destroy any trace of them ever existing. I'm just saying that Minicons--especially ones that bear no resemblance to classic characters--don't fit in Classics.

If the Dinobot Minicons were mechanical and called Sludge, Swoop, and Slag, they'd be off-scale with Grimlock, but they'd fit. I wouldn't be as against that, though I'd prefer full-sized figures.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Word on the street is that the Botcon exlcusive set is going to be made using tooling from the Classics line. Of course the big fear is that the set will include either Thundercracker, Dirge, or Thrust (or even worse, all three). Since this is a "Dear Hasbro" thread, let me one of the first to say "DON'T!"

The three remaining Seekers have way to much mass market appeal to be used for a limited exclusive. If you absolutely have to use the Classics Starscream molds for Botcon, then do a ghost Starscream, or a Sunstorm, or make a little squad of those generic Seeker drones from the Sunbow series. You could even make a Skywarp and Thundercracker set decoed up to look like they did in TFTM just before Unicron changed them to Sweeps/Cyclonus (where half is painted up with battle damage and the other is painted up with that purple grid scanning look). In other words, exclusives should be unique and different enough to whet the appetites of hardcore fans (guys that go to Botcon), but should utilize characters or concepts that aren't going to exclude thousands of other collectors who support the line (guys like me). Ghost Starscream? Most of us would go "Yeah, sounds cool, but I'll live if I don't have it." Then the 1000 or so really super hardcore Transformers fans who want a ghost Starscream can battle it out at Botcon or on ebay to get it.

If Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust end up in the 2007 Botcon set, a whole bunch of Transformers fans are going to have a big hole in their Classics collections. I know, I know, if we want something bad enough, we can always pony up the couple hundred dollars to get it off ebay, but what about the main supporters of the line? You know who I'm talking about: the kiddies. Starscream seems to be one of the first off the pegs in my neck of the woods. Who says kids don't want a Thundercracker too? If nothing else, think of the children...

What are the other up-coming toys for this line? I thought Toyfare mag said they were doing a Soundwave. I don't collect Transformers, but I would buy Prowl and Soundwave if they made 'em. Maybe even Devastator and the dinobot triceratops if I really liked the first 2.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Why would you consider it "fanboyism" to not like the Minicons in the Classics line?

The name is "Classics." The implication is they are updates of classic characters. Popular or not, Minicons don't fit in the G1/G2 mythos, which appears to be the basis of the Classics line.
    It's fanboyism because of the immense hate you're pushing out about them, if you don't like them that's fine but you dump on them hard every chance you get. It's fanboyism because it's so incapable of accepting new things and changes from the original, that kind of inflexibility nearly put the line under a few times.

I'm not saying at all that Minicons are some horrible thing and we should all band together to destroy any trace of them ever existing. I'm just saying that Minicons--especially ones that bear no resemblance to classic characters--don't fit in Classics.
    And I'll say it again, claiming minicons don't fit the G1 mythos is pretty short-sighted when there are headmasters and targetmasters and micromasters in the G1, to say nothing of the Minibots.

If the Dinobot Minicons were mechanical and called Sludge, Swoop, and Slag, they'd be off-scale with Grimlock, but they'd fit. I wouldn't be as against that, though I'd prefer full-sized figures.
    They are mechanical dinos, not organic like Beast Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    And I'll say it again, claiming minicons don't fit the G1 mythos is pretty short-sighted when there are headmasters and targetmasters and micromasters in the G1, to say nothing of the Minibots.
    Oh sure, if you want to acknowledge the existence of headmasters & targetmasters. A friend of mine ordered some G1 Transformers dvd that had the head and target master episodes on it. It was more of a commercial than a cartoon.

Speaking of G1 Transformers, I was at WM today and saw they had Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Brawn, and some other red car as keychains in retro 80s packaging.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by seanmcfripp View Post
    Word on the street is that the Botcon exlcusive set is going to be made using tooling from the Classics line. Of course the big fear is that the set will include either Thundercracker, Dirge, or Thrust (or even worse, all three). Since this is a "Dear Hasbro" thread, let me one of the first to say "DON'T!"

The three remaining Seekers have way to much mass market appeal to be used for a limited exclusive. If you absolutely have to use the Classics Starscream molds for Botcon, then do a ghost Starscream, or a Sunstorm, or make a little squad of those generic Seeker drones from the Sunbow series. You could even make a Skywarp and Thundercracker set decoed up to look like they did in TFTM just before Unicron changed them to Sweeps/Cyclonus (where half is painted up with battle damage and the other is painted up with that purple grid scanning look). In other words, exclusives should be unique and different enough to whet the appetites of hardcore fans (guys that go to Botcon), but should utilize characters or concepts that aren't going to exclude thousands of other collectors who support the line (guys like me). Ghost Starscream? Most of us would go "Yeah, sounds cool, but I'll live if I don't have it." Then the 1000 or so really super hardcore Transformers fans who want a ghost Starscream can battle it out at Botcon or on ebay to get it.

If Thundercracker, Dirge, and Thrust end up in the 2007 Botcon set, a whole bunch of Transformers fans are going to have a big hole in their Classics collections. I know, I know, if we want something bad enough, we can always pony up the couple hundred dollars to get it off ebay, but what about the main supporters of the line? You know who I'm talking about: the kiddies. Starscream seems to be one of the first off the pegs in my neck of the woods. Who says kids don't want a Thundercracker too? If nothing else, think of the children...
    Now that the Botcon set is officially going to include the last three Seekers, I thought I'd bump this to restart the ranting.