Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Troop-Building

Troop-Building

This line has been a dream for troop-builders. We have recieved miles of clones. I am curious as to what you all troop-build and why.

I will troop-build ANY army figure but only so long as it is SA (with few exceptions). They also do have to have a good sculpt. I will not troop build the animated versions of figures even if they are SA because I want as serious a look as possible to my formations. I still like the animated versions, though. The few exceptions to my SA requirement are the AT-AT Driver, and the Death Star Gunner. The reason for this is that I like the sculpts, they have plenty of articulation for what they are needed for, and I firmly believe that we will not see any improvement on the sculpts for those two figures...ever. I have decided NOT to troop-build the Saga T.I.E Fighter Pilots because I do not like the articulation and I am hoping for an improvement to those sculpts eventually. If they got caught up to the AT-AT Driver...they would be perfect, or at least as close to perfect as I would ever hope.

I am still on the fence about some troop-builders such as the Clone pilots and the AT-RT Driver. They are about as good as they will ever get, but I still hate the sculpts. They ARE troops, though and I will probably get around to adding them to the GAOTR.

The AT-TE Driver will not get built as it is because it is not even close to SA.

The next 2 waves of the Saga2 line have 4 figures I want to troop-build. The 442nd Siege Battalion, the 5th Fleet Security, the Elite Corps, and the 501st (after modifying Appo by removing his Pauldron). The Clone Engineer is the Evolutions sculpt and therefore not SA so I will not be building that one. The Battle Droids and Super Battle Droid do not appear to be SA, but if they are...they will be built.

The thing I miss the most right now is that there are no good-guys worth troop-building...not one. I want a SA Rebel Fleet Trooper, Endor Rebel Soldier, and Hoth Rebel Soldier so bad I can almost taste them. And SA rebel Pilots as well. The only good pilot we have is Luke. I want more...generic pilots for building as well. I know it is difficult as their faces are not hidden and that make it cheesy unless you do multiple head sculpts. But I think they have enough heads now to make about 20 pilots (which would be enough for me) and those heads could then be used also on ground troops. Gimme!

I hope the 30th line is as full of troop-builders! It looks good so far with the Parjai Trooper and the Galactic Marine! But i hope for the SA good-guys as well!
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

The simplest way I can put this is, take a look at the movies. If there are loads of one kind of character, I troop build that one in high numbers. If there are troops but they only appear in smaller numbers, ie Naboo soldiers or even scout troopers, I will army build them, but not so extensively.

To give some examples of what I have:
    Utapau troopers-106
    501st troopers (including both the JTA battle pack and single carded figs)-70+
    Scout troopers-20+
    Naboo soldiers (the new ones from TSC)-8

So basically again, I go by how I see them in the movies. A lot in the movies equals a lot to build. Small squads in the movies equals small squads to build.

This even goes for Jawas and Tusken Raiders.

If and when we ever see the Rebel Guard (the ones seen at the Yavin temple), I'll troop build those to at least 40.
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cruel View Post
    The only good pilot we have is Luke.
    You could buy a bunch of SA Lukes and change out the helmets from others like Dutch Vander. I really don't think those guys are gonna be re-released SA. Any troop that was made in the Vintage line is a pretty good bet for SA, as they are good fodder for the VOTC line. the only problem there is that they are pricey.

I do not "Army build" anything. I simply don't have the money. I have 4 Stormtroopers- 2 VOTC, 2 Commtech (but will have 2 more with the release of the Tantive IV Battle Pack), I think 6 is pretty good. I have four Sandtroopers- 1 POTJ, 1 Evo, 1 Dewback Rider, and 1 SA Saga. I have 2 Snowtroopers, 1 Biker Scout VOTC, 1 Imperial Officer, Two Royal Guards, 1 AT AT Driver, 2 Tie Pilots, and a couple of other imperials. actually, all in all I have about 20 Imperials, and that makes a pretty good, uh, detachment.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000 View Post
    I do not "Army build" anything. I simply don't have the money. I have 4 Stormtroopers- 2 VOTC, 2 Commtech (but will have 2 more with the release of the Tantive IV Battle Pack), I think 6 is pretty good. I have four Sandtroopers- 1 POTJ, 1 Evo, 1 Dewback Rider, and 1 SA Saga. I have 2 Snowtroopers, 1 Biker Scout VOTC, 1 Imperial Officer, Two Royal Guards, 1 AT AT Driver, 2 Tie Pilots, and a couple of other imperials. actually, all in all I have about 20 Imperials, and that makes a pretty good, uh, detachment.
    True true. Oh how I wish I could buy figs like you. I got sucked into the black hole of army building early on...Now it's like a drug with me. For now I'm fairly satiated with the Mace clones, but that desire is starting to creep up thinking about the new waves on the horizon, as well as that Felucia Battlepack.
    Move along, move along

I'm not sure how many army builders I have. So many POTJ Scouts and CommTech Stormies are in storage... I usually end up getting multiples of resculpts to replace older editons of figures like the Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, Death Star Gunner, etc. The new sculpts are usually so good that I can't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    I'm not sure how many army builders I have. So many POTJ Scouts and CommTech Stormies are in storage... I usually end up getting multiples of resculpts to replace older editons of figures like the Biker Scout, AT-AT Driver, Death Star Gunner, etc. The new sculpts are usually so good that I can't help myself.
    I do this too. As I keep geting new ones, the older versions will keep being placed towards the back of the dioramas...

A sad fate.
    Move along, move along

Episode II

I had stopped at eight clones, but added five to that group with Evolutions sets. I also picked up two pilots for gunship duty. I'll include my four Scorch figures here even though they are not technically Episode II clones.

Episode III

I'll army build damn near anything. The only sculpt I'm really unhappy with is the AT-TE tank gunner, but on top of having three or four of the originals (though I won't buy another), I did use several of them to pad out my 501st clones, so I have six of the JTA 501st and six of the AT-TE sculpts. I also have twelve shock troops, with three of those being from the Skirmish set. Otherwise, I have four Star Corps figures from the Evolutions set, five Utapau clones, two sets worth of Assault on Coruscant, two rocket troopers, five or six AT-RT drivers (with two AT-RT), dozens of white SA and quick draw clones, at least nine pilots, several of each of the generic commanders (red and green), at least one of each named commander. Edit: Oh, yeah. I also have two opened Shadow troopers.

Episode IV

I've got some eight or so Sandtroopers, a mix of the new Saga troopers and Evolutions troopers (had so many Evolutions troopers I gave some to a friend). I have five of the VOTC Stormtroopers, and this is the number one figure I want more of. I purchased all but one of the I ever saw (yes, I only saw six in my area and let a friend get the sixth).

Episode VI

I have two of the old Saga scouts, and I have two of the VTSC scouts. The VTSC scout is the second trooper that I want many more of.

I'm not against Army building Snowtroopers but have just never gotten around to it.

In the future, I plan to purchase most--if not all--of the clones that come out. I'll buy any figure based on the VOTC stormtrooper, and I will buy any future VTSC scout.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

I will army build anything that has multiples in the films from Stormtroopers to gungan reps. I didn't really start to army build until the last few years. Still buying every release I had a good squad of stormtroopers, plenty of Sandtroopers for my purposes, enough TIE pilots. Now I tend to get 3 of any army builders. My main reason for this is that I don't really want more than 10 of any figure due to room (except Stormtrooper since they are in 3 films). Plus with the many reissue of certain figures like the Snowtrooper I don't see the need to load up on any one mold when I know another will be out in a few years. If by chance I'm wrong and the whole line goes under then that will give me something to hunt down later.
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

Quote Originally Posted by dindae View Post
    I will army build anything that has multiples in the films from Stormtroopers to gungan reps. I didn't really start to army build until the last few years. Still buying every release I had a good squad of stormtroopers, plenty of Sandtroopers for my purposes, enough TIE pilots. Now I tend to get 3 of any army builders. My main reason for this is that I don't really want more than 10 of any figure due to room (except Stormtrooper since they are in 3 films). Plus with the many reissue of certain figures like the Snowtrooper I don't see the need to load up on any one mold when I know another will be out in a few years. If by chance I'm wrong and the whole line goes under then that will give me something to hunt down later.
    A wise approach to this often changing aspect of the hobby!

For me it is hard to troop build at the present time do to lack of space and income. True I have a better job with a higher salary yet still need the space and the bills are still present.

Can't wait to have a house, buying my parents house once they retire, in five years or so, and then at least I might have some room to build a smaller display area where I can have my armies in formation. As far as numbers go, total I have about 200 + clones/ stormies/ pilots/ guards/ scouts/ etc. I usually get about 5 of each clone or at least three. Hoping to get 5 of the Galactic Marine and 3 of Airborne Trooper as well as the other clones that are coming out as the last Saga wave.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks