Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling Down

Falling Down

Michael Douglas is my hero in this film about a divorced, laid-off defense contractor that snaps and winds up standing up for "everything that used to be" in what had been 1950's/60's America.

Robert DuVall plays the cop that's retiring to appease a wife-turned-co-dependant-psychotic, but who figures out Douglas' plan before he even does. He arrives just in time to save Douglas' ex-wife and child from a family-murder / suicide.

The ending is rather mournful, but the fun is in the heart of the movie, where "Bill" fights back for everything that annoys us:

traffic jams - he abandons his car right in the middle of gridlock

over-inflated prices in stores owned by immigrants who don't speak decent English - that's annoying but it doesn't really give Bill the right to vandalize his store to "roll back prices." Inflation is a conspiracy anyway though.

gangland territory things and graffiti - he gives these would-be mugger-thugs who want to collect "a toll" a good whopping. Can't say I don't enjoy that.

drive-by survival - the same gang members try and shoot him, but miss and hit everyone else of course. Bill takes their gym bag full of guns and says "take some shooting lessons, @$$#0!" Classic.

fast food chains stopping breakfast service at 11:30 (it's actually 10:30 at the chains I'm familiar with) but pulling out an Uzi at Whammy-Burger to demand breakfast at 11:35 is something I always wanted to do!

Then there was the rude guy at the payphone. Some automatic weapons fire took care of that.

How about the Neo-Nazi jerk in the army surplus store? You can't tell me that you were sorry to see that guy go down! But then again, that guy, collecting all that stuff, sort of reminds us all of, well - US. Hehe.

There were the angry, old self-centered egocentric men on the golf course. "Your heart medication was in the golf cart? Well the cart is in the lake and you're going to die now wearing that stupid little hat! How does that feel?"

All in all this was a great flick and Bill "D-Fens" was my hero (until the part at the end).

Have you guys seen this one? (1992)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I've seen this movie several times and I love it.

Every time it's on TV I make sure to at least watch most of it. I love the Whammy Burger part the most because, if I'm not mistaken, he ends up ordering lunch anyways.

The movie rings quite true nearly 15 years later as we have the same "problems" that he faces in the movie.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I rather like this movie myself, even if Joel Schumacher did direct it. In fact, I think it's the fact that he directed it that has kept Batman fans from tearing him limb from limb.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I love this movie. I still think a soda should be 50 cents if its in a can.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I love this movie. Thought the concept of it was great and said the things that every person wishes they had said but never did. The scene in the fast food restaurant, the convience store, the group of gang members. I saw this movie in the Walmart bins for $5.88 but never picked it up and now I am kicking myself.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Schumacher's actually not a bad director, he did Lost Boys, St Elmo's Fire, DC Cab (ok, not great but still '80s funny and totally anti-Schumacher) and some later works after Batman I hear don't totally suck. The problem is that when he gets too much studio backing, too much money, too much power, it corrupts him into doing bad, opulent things which is the real tragedy of his Batman films because they COULD have been "Falling Down" quality but were instead campy garbage.

"Falling Down" is hard for me to watch, it is very similar to how my late grandfather behaved and saw his life. However, when I first saw it in theaters, it was very strong.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Thought the concept of it was great and said the things that every person wishes they had said but never did.
    So every person wishes they could be a bitter douchebag...I can't say that gives me a bright hope for the future of humanity.

Caesar, I already AM a bitter doushebag, I just lack the automatic weapons.

I could probably think of a dozen more scenerios where "Bill" could win justice for me.

How about since his mother collected those little glass-blown figurines, if he asked an employee at Target to check the backroom for a specific one, and they gave him the runaround - then Bill whips out that Mac-10?

OK, it wouldn't be exactly over Star Wars figures to fit the interests of characters in the movie, but that is just one more example that most of us here would enjoy Bill's fight for his rights as a consumer in.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    if he asked an employee at Target to check the backroom for a specific one, and they gave him the runaround - then Bill whips out that Mac-10?

OK, it wouldn't be exactly over Star Wars figures to fit the interests of characters in the movie, but that is just one more example that most of us here would enjoy Bill's fight for his rights as a consumer in.

What if it was a super rare mouse droid that was only available one per every case and only at Target ?

Caesar, I was stating that the amount of times I have gotten to McD's maybe two minutes or five minutes after breakfast was served, and they were like sorry we're on lunch. I mean all their food today is almost micro anyway. and the scene in the store with the coke, I mean c'mon, I can't even remember how many times I paid over a $1 for a can of coke. I'm not saying that everyone is a dousch, just the character acts like so many of us want but hold back as it is not something that is considered to be rational in today's society.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks