Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rising Sun

Rising Sun

Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes in a mystery-thriller that takes you into the heart of Japanese economic ascension over the United States. Prostitution, bribery, political corruption, and video doctoring all fit in to this one.

You might have to watch it several times to figure out who's working for whom and who all the players are.

If you like it complicated and a bit exotic, this is the movie for you then.

Connery and Snipes performances are great, as to be expected from these actors (usually).

I believe it's "Mako" that plays Connery's wife and Snipes' forbidden love interest. It wasn't exactly clear to me when I glanced at the credits. In any case she was a beautiful woman.

Several of the other sexual fantasy girls were pretty fine, too - especially the one playing with herself on the bed during Snipes' interrogation of her - and the murder victim herself - whom almost everything is shown of (moreso than most movies dare to go for sure). [You have to make allowances for Tycho's interest in gratuitous shots here. He likes that sort of thing.]

Oh, and the Lamborghini was a nice touch, as were the martial arts sequences.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Mako is a dude. He played the wizard in the Conan movies.

are you referring to tia carrere (sch-wing) tycho?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    are you referring to tia carrere (sch-wing) tycho?
    Maybe. She said she was half Japanese, half black American (in the movie) though that doesn't mean the actress actually was.

LOL - that I thought Mako could have been the chick. That gave me a great laugh Caesar.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Poor Mako.

This movie is a bit too ridiculous for my tastes, Connery has screen presence but feels very silly with more of his fake Japanese routine ("You only Live Twice" was almost unbearable because of it). Snipes has yet to find his acting legs, so he's over-the-top in every scene and it doesn't help that the script makes him an idiot at every turn. There is some interesting commentary on the behavior of who does what in this corporate murder thriller, but the "evidence" technology is way above and beyond. Plus, Tia Carrere with her fake deformed hand was too much chuckle for me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

To this day I never noticed her hand! I'll have to look for that when I watch the movie again. I thought she was speaking about the Japanese racist attitude (figuratively) when she said she was deformed (as in half-black). Wow. The things you pick up in discussion. Thanks JT.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Snipes has yet to find his acting legs
    and his tax receipts.

to me, Tia Carrere will always be Cassandra from Wayne's World...but she did go full frontal in Showdown in Little Tokyo so bless her heart for that.

that could be some interesting threads if tycho next moves on to dolph lundgren's body of work. some of the drivel he's been in never even should've seen the inside of a blockbuster.

tia is as you said caes (will be forevermore) cassandra. that's a movie that hasn't aged well.

and yes tycho her hand is why she was an outcast.

Actually, I picked up psycho-sexual thrillers for this evening's choices. [I can sense the moderators all getting some aspirins in anticipation of tonight's posts]. But I'll do my best to behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Actually, I picked up psycho-sexual thrillers for this evening's choices. [I can sense the moderators all getting some aspirins in anticipation of tonight's posts]. But I'll do my best to behave.
    i'm sure you'll try your best to avoid being banned.

so that might mean you'll be watching jade, bound and basic instinct then?