Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why do I remember a Tarkin

Hi all,

I'm sure this have come up a thousand times, but here goes.

Back when I was 6 or so, I remember getting my first star wars figures, and I remember the little pictures on the back of the figure card showing a a Grand Moff Tarkin figure, along with the other figures everyone knows about. I never actually saw a Tarkin figure and wrote this off as either a bad childhood memory or an early card back that showed an unproduced toy.

I considered the issue dead until last week, when my wife and I began reminiscing about our old Star Wars toys. She remembered playing with another child in the neighborhood who had a Tarkin action figure. I asked if it was perhaps the later imperial officer, or maybe a Battlestar Galactica Adama figure, but she was sure she had seen a Tarkin figure.

I'm guessing we both have bad memories, but here goes...

Does anyone else remember a Tarkin action figure advertised during the initial Star Wars figure releases?

Was there perhaps a foreign knock-off?

As I'm sure you know they never did make a Tarkin figure.

The only ones that would even come close are the Death Squad Commander and the AT-AT Driver (i.e. Gen. Veers). I've never heard of a knock off either so...ummm...you've both got bad memories?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

They made a handful of them and I have listed 3 for sale on eBay.

Don't forget the black uniform imperial commander figure too. could also be that someone back then maybe made a custom version of tarkin. i had a custom slave leia back in the day made from the body of a bespin leia.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

30 years is a long time and the mind can manufacture its own memories. I recalled as a kid seeing Death Squad Troopers in something like a log cabin, but I chalked it up to something in a dream. Then I heard about the Holiday Special back in 99 and lo and behold, my mind couldn't possibly have dreamed up something so horrid! IT WAS REAL!!!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Don't forget the black uniform imperial commander figure too. could also be that someone back then maybe made a custom version of tarkin. i had a custom slave leia back in the day made from the body of a bespin leia.
    Do you still have it? And if so could we see photos?

I don't ever remember seeing or hearing about a Tarkin figure as a kid. The Imperial Officer or Death Star Commander are to most likely "in-house" sources of confusion. The Imperial Officer looks the part, expect for the hat. And the Death Star Commander on the 12 back card, looks a lot like Tarkin on a quick glance. Have a look here.

I have no clue what the Adama figure from Battlestar Galactica looked like. But if he had gray hair and a military uniform, that a likely candidate. I'm doubtful of a bootleg figure. All bootlegs I've seen are based on Kenner figures.

If I were you I would chalk up such a memory to an active imagination and wishful thinking, rather than a faulty memory.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    Do you still have it? And if so could we see photos?

I had this figure back in '84 so unfortunately the figure is long gone, have wanted to make her again but just haven't had the time and don't feel like paying ebay prices for the Bespin Leia body. perhaps one day I will find a Leia in a comic shop for a decent price and re-create it.

Right now though I am working on a SA Slave Leia using the Takara Micro-Woman body and Hasbro's head sculpt so as soon as it's done I'll post pics in the custom section.
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 12-05-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Jus' fixin' a missin' bracket in the quote
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I can remember faint memories of playing with my figures and not yet owning a Darth Vader...so I used the TIE pilot to fill in for Darth.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I can remember faint memories of playing with my figures and not yet owning a Darth Vader...so I used the TIE pilot to fill in for Darth.
    Oohh I'm sorry Caesar. Well I suppose he would have to do.

Alas, there was no Tarkin. You think kenner would have made him though.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Yeah I surprised that Kenner never made a Tarkin figure either or for that reason a Mon Mothma figure as well. I mean they gave us some minor characters in the original POTF collection like the Imperial Dignitary and Barada and Yak Face yet where were Tarkin and Mon Mothma ? I mean we got Crix Madine and Admiral Ackbar all we were missing is Mothma for a cool Rebel Briefing set.