Cycles of Vintage auction prices/values

I've been a bit more focused on the Vintage line lately than usual, and there seems to be a trend upward in ending auction prices on Ebay for loose Vintage figures. Maybe I'm imagining things, I don't know... has anyone else noticed this? Further, if I'm not imagining this, do you think the trend will continue upward, and why? I have a guess.

I also wonder what you long-time Vintage collectors have seen regarding price/value fluctuations in the Vintage line over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    I've been a bit more focused on the Vintage line lately than usual, and there seems to be a trend upward in ending auction prices on Ebay for loose Vintage figures. Maybe I'm imagining things, I don't know... has anyone else noticed this? Further, if I'm not imagining this, do you think the trend will continue upward, and why? I have a guess.

I also wonder what you long-time Vintage collectors have seen regarding price/value fluctuations in the Vintage line over the years.
    I have been buying loose Vinatge since 1992, and have been using Ebay since 1999. I have seen Vintage prices go up with the re-release of the OT in theaters in 1997. It seemed to level off durring the first two prequles. And started climing around ROTS and has continued. The prices now are very high. in 2001 I bought an entire collection, every figure from SW to ROTJ and some POTF all complete. 108 figures total and 25 vehicles. I got it all for $400 shipped. With what I have seen recently on Ebay, that lot would not get closer to $1000 I think. Besides a re-newed interest in the Vinatge line with things like the OTC and VOTC, I really do not know what is causing the increase. And without knowing that I cannot guess at if or when it will calm down again. Good time to sell, bad time to buy. I hope it does come back down as there are a few things I still need. I am very glad that I have almost everything already.
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

It could very well be that we're in a upward price trend. I've not really looked at the price of loose figures in years. Although there are a couple of figures I've thought about replacing (early buys, and I had no standards). The few times I have glanced at that them they were lower than the prices in '99-'00 range.

The best thing you can do is to watch figures that your interested in to get a feel for the price. And remember that the true value of any item is what you're will to pay for it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

In my experience, prices hit their true peak in the short run up to Episode 1, and then approached it again around ROTS. This demand was even more pronounced when you consider that everybody and his momma was on ebay selling their collection (I seem to recall 17,000 vintage listings compared to about 5,000 average), yet prices were sky high.

Now that it is all over, prices follow the yearly trend most other goods do... prices peak October through January and then bottom out during the summer months. Some real bargains can be had in July and August. Avoid buying from October through February, unless you want to see what items are ending on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Back in '95-'96 when the new POTF2 line came out, the Vintage prices were up, especially when the speculators spiked the "values" of the new figs by hoarding. Then, as JON9k said, the Episode I hype created another rise. I can offer this example: a man in the store asked me "which of thse would be worth a lot of money." These = Ep I figs. I told him that for at least 5 years, none of these would be worth more than retail, and he seemed disappointed. Since he wasn't buying them as toys for kids, he should have been disappointed.

For those more visual than verbal...

1978-1985 (when lines were being produced): $
    1986-1990 (just after lines ended): $$
    1991-1994 (later, but as economy improved): $$$
    1995-1996 (just as POTF2 line introduced): $$$$$
    1997-1998 (prior to Prequels merchandise): $$$
    1999-2000 (after Ep I out): $$$$
    2001-2006 (as Prequels are continuing/ending): $$$
    2007-2010 (when robots control us all): $
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I have seen prices flucuate all over ebay. The best thing to do is be patient and you will find what you need for a good price. I searched for over 2 years to get an Ewok Village. I got it for 21 bucks, with four figures and shipping. I also got a Jabba with Dais and all accessories for 15 bucks with shipping.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten