Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth

THIS movie looks awesome! This is a must-see for me. Has anyone else heard of this movie or any book that it may have come from. If there is a book...I want to read it!

The basic story sounds like this to me (I may be wrong...I have only seen the trailer and only once). There is a young girl in Europe (Spain I think, but I am not sure) during the Nazi invasion. If I have the jist of the story correct...she is also a Princess in a fantasy-type world and must die in our world to be born as the Princess in the other world. This movie is touted as a fantasy movie for adults (due to the serious war content...not "adult" content).
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Did a quick search on IMDB and found this......

Quote Originally Posted by imdb plot summary
    "Pan's Labyrinth" is the story of a young girl that travels with her pregnant mother to live with her mother's new husband in a rural area up North in Spain, 1944. After Franco´s victory. The girl lives in an imaginary world of her own creation and faces the real world with much chagrin. Post-war Fascist repression is at its height in rural Spain and the girl must come to terms with that through a fable of her own.

Okay, that clears it up a bit.

From the commercial I saw earlier tonight, it looked like a remake of Labyrinth, sans Bowie and Connelly.

(Mmmmm, Connelly....)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I finally got around to seeing this one yesterday. It was great, even though several scenes were viewed between my fingers (some disturbing actions involving broken bottles, kitchen knives, hacksaws, etc.). And now I know some Spanish cuss words, too. Educational and enjoyable! That fine line between reality and fantasy, and how it could intersect with the actual real world, was the main storyline.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I saw this flick a few weeks back and LOOOOOOOOVED it. Here is the review I posted on my blog.

"Pan's Labyrinth"- Acclaimed director Guillermo Del Toro returns with this fantastic and dazzling fantasty tale set in 1944, Spain. The story centers around twelve year old Ofelia (a superb Ivana Baquero) and her journey into the mountains of Spain. Her mother has recently married Captain Vidal (a deliciously bastard Sergio Lopez) and due to the current state of Civil War that engulfs the country, he moves Ofelia and her pregnant mother out to his post in the woods for their protection and so they can be together. Upon arriving, Ofelia notices something in the woods is out of place and upon correcting it (i'm being vague, i don't want to spoil stuff), is greeted by a fairy who quickly follows her home. Upon arriving to her new residence, she finds a massive Labyrinth in the woods and thus begins her adventure. I won't go much into the plot as this is a film that deserves to be seen by everybody. It's magic and i'm not even exaggerating. The performances are solid and Del Toro, who wrote, produced and directed the flick, does a great job of setting up the two story lines in the film. He sets this innocent children's fantasy tale against the harsh and brutal realm of war and it works to perfection. The story draws you as you begin to love the characters, particularly Ofelia, and are with them on every step of their journey. The sets are also marvelous as they are very reminiscent of Gothic styles and textures (tim burton: take some notes). The creatures in the film are also pretty cool, my favorite being "The Pale Man" (you'll see) with Pan following close behind. What strikes me about the film is the underlying theme of magic and imagination and how it can or cannot exist in an adult oriented world. The film also discusses upon the bond and trials a family has to go through to survive and exist. And don't be fooled: this isn't by any means to be considered a children's film. The war scenes are pretty brutal and the delightfully evil Pale Man could make kids freak out on his own. Also, the whole score is really well done as the lullabye that is the films kind of "theme" is still in my head. Lastly, the film is in subtitles, so you'll have to read, but hey, if that irks you, go rent an action packed michael bay film and turn your brain off. seriously. I was pretty shocked as my 1:25 showing was really really full and the old folks behind me were actually silently cheering at certain parts. Rock on. In closing, this film is amazing and demands repeat viewings. Along with "Children of Men" it easily ranks up there with the best films of 2006, period. Those who have seen it, drop me a message about your thoughts as the film's ending is kind of open ended. Those of you who haven't seen it, what the hell are you waiting for? Rating- **** out of ****
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

it looks pretty effed up....that one dude with the eyeballs, what is up with that? it looks pretty interesting, I'll have to rent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    it looks pretty effed up....that one dude with the eyeballs, what is up with that? it looks pretty interesting, I'll have to rent it.
    'Dude with the eyeballs' is 'Pale Man,' as J_M_G previously stated. I wouldn't call it effed-up, but it ain't no Disney flick neither! (BTW, a triple negative is still a negative, like crossing three fingers is okay. Or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Pale Man looked pretty effed up to me.
    But how could a blind, saggin' skin, cannibalistic, villain be considered ef- ... oh. I see. Color Me Badd.

Holy Moly. That was insane. This one really defies description. I am trying to find something to compare it to, but I can't, really. All I can say is you gotta see it, and just be prepared to be pinned to your seat.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car