Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation George Lucas and Star Wars Floats!!

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, just read about George Lucas being the Grand Marshal for the 2007 Rose Parade - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16408029/ - and - AND - they've got a "..Three Piece Star Wars Spectacular..." set of floats. Geez, this would've been the ONE time [FONT=Verdana]Jéan T would've watched any of that parade - - well, maybe he would've - - taping it and fast-forwarding to the floats to see the workmanship and imagination it takes to render the images.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]Say, does anyone know the significance of the name "501st Legion"? It's what the fan club name for those who'll be dressed as the 200 Stormtroopers marching behind a Darth Vader. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I may have to catch that.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]vulcantouch-mom [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS]HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!![/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT][/FONT]

Somehow, I see Jean watching or taping the parade and then having a jolly good time ripping it to shreds, everything down to the colors, then he'd have a few favorable things to say at the end.

This is such an odd choice for Rose Parade grand marshall, I'll tape it but it's not quite enough to make me go down there to the insanity - parking and seating is destroyed in Pasadena during this, it's only a few miles east of me but scary! Every year, even in bad weather, dozens people sleep on the sidewalks for days in advance for their seating, it's so strange to see these streets littered with campers.

The 501st legion is an organization of fans who make their own stormtrooper armor (now other Star Wars armor as well), 2007 will be their 10th year and they've grown to over 3,000 members strong, in the past few years they've started doing a lot of public functions, even doing some charity.

Anyway, hope you have a good new years Carolyn, take care and keep warm!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thumbs up You're right, JT - he WOULD be 'the shredder' :D

Yeah, I can imagine it gets pretty wild down there around the parade. Don, my Brother-in-law said it used to be free and now they sell tickets? Is that correct? I always thought it was free. They lived in Riverside (March AFB) during their last station before he retired. Geez, streetpeople by choice!

That's cool the fan club makes their own uniforms. How did they come to have the name "501st"? I can't wait to see them.

Here's a toast for y'all *clink* May the Force stay w/you guys, all through the year!

vulcantouch-mom

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The 501st legion is an organization of fans who make their own stormtrooper armor (now other Star Wars armor as well), 2007 will be their 10th year and they've grown to over 3,000 members strong, in the past few years they've started doing a lot of public functions, even doing some charity.

Anyway, hope you have a good new years Carolyn, take care and keep warm!
    Carolyn, I am one member of the 501st legion costuming club. We are a group of Star Wars fans who make our own darkside costumes. I have an Imperial Stormtrooper and a Tusken Raider costume. They had us video tape ourselves in marching formations, as well as identify ourselves, then the tapes were submitted and they picked the 200 best marchers to join Mr. Lucas during the Rose Bowl parade. I didn't participate in the taping because I walk with a limp, and often after being in my armor for awhile, it gets worse. You can see my trading card at the link below.

http://www.skaught.com/501st/proofs/0523tk.jpg

That reminds me, I need to set my VCR to record the parade.

Also in the picture you can see some of my fellow troopers and Vader at a WGN news broadcast we did around the time Episode III came to the theatres. BTW I'm the middle Stormtrooper right behind the Dark Lord.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormtrooper WGN.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	14916  
    Last edited by bobafrett; 12-31-2006 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to identify myself in the picture
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Thumbs up Okay, this is the part where I feel reeeeeeeeeeeelly dumb!

Bobafrett, I'd seen your card when you first replied (I clicked the homepage link) and thought it was cool, but somehow never made the connection. Geeez! You even had the fabric hat in the smaller picture. Where's my brain?!?Thanks so much for including the picture of you and 3 others, one Darth Vader. TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I'd known about that before [FONT=Verdana]Jéan T died. I recall he was first Darth Vader, and then Obi-Wan, on Halloween, when he was in grade school. It was such fun doing the costumes. I had a blast making his helmet (started with a black plastic derby, cut the brim off and went from there) and have regretted not having any pictures of either school party OR him in his costumes! BAD Mommie! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I'm still wondering where the "501st" title originated.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]As I just LOVE watching marching troops, I'll be SURE to catch your fellow legion members tomorrow. BTW, who will be Darth Vader, or is it a secret?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]And - AND - hey, if General Grievous can cough and the Battle Droids can "OW!!", I think you should consider your limp a 'special effect' (but if it hurts, and it probably does, I'm thinking, that wouldn't be a good idea. ) and most certainly add to the ambiance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]I told Mom about your group and we'll both be watching for your fellow legion members tomorrow morning. The Force will be with them![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Later, Dude [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]vulcantouch-mom [/FONT]

They never really explained where 501 came from, but Tycho has a good theory about it mentioned in a thread a couple weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    On a sidenote, a 501(c)(3) is the tax code for a non-profit organization, which is why I think the 501st Legion originally chose that number for their costuming club. Vader's Fist legion was named as a tribute to that fan group which provides many forms of charity work done by fellow Star Wars fan enthusiasts.
    I may have to record this parade, I wanna see the reactions to a huge line of Stormtroopers.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Wink I did a little nosing around - -

not an easy task for one with a large nose - and I located this which speaks well of this elite group - the FIST of Darth Vader! -
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/upd...s20051028.html - WOW! Who knew?

Interesting link, also - http://www.starwars.com/community/ne...s20060919.html

This just gets better and better. You can get a DVD of the parade and I'm wondering how good the shots would be of the 501st? What is it they say in Pasadena? - Once you've been in the Rose Parade you've arrived? - - Just kidding. I really think it's cool having representation in a historical event WOO HOOOO!

vulcantouch-mom
    Last edited by vulcantouch-mom; 12-31-2006 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Found link I wanted to include

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    They never really explained where 501 came from, but Tycho has a good theory about it mentioned in a thread a couple weeks back.

I may have to record this parade, I wanna see the reactions to a huge line of Stormtroopers.

LT if you do record it, could you make a copy for me? I am having issues with trying to get my VCR to record. I'm making my third attempt to check to make sure I can record it seeing as I work during the parade time. I think it has something to do with the way I have the cable box to the VCR to the TV wired up. I want to see the legion of Stormtrooper brethren marching in the parade.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

When is this on E.S.T....11 am? On ABC, I'm assuming.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    LT if you do record it, could you make a copy for me? I am having issues with trying to get my VCR to record. I'm making my third attempt to check to make sure I can record it seeing as I work during the parade time. I think it has something to do with the way I have the cable box to the VCR to the TV wired up. I want to see the legion of Stormtrooper brethren marching in the parade.
    Sure, I'll look for a blank VHS later today. I won't be recording it via VCR, I'll be recording onto DVR but I can play it later and have it record to a VHS.

I imagine this sort of thing will be posted on youtube and/or video google as well.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"