Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Star Wars in the Rose Parade

Is there really no thread about this already (besides the news one)?

Anyway, I thought the floats and whatnot were pretty damn slick. I watched the HGTV coverage of it since they had a behind-the-scenes special beforehand, and they went a little too quickly past it. I remember reading that there would be Ayy Vida-style Twi'leks as well as Oola ones, but I didn't see any.

I had it on ABC. They cut away as the Naboo float was showing up, so I switched to NBC. They were just starting with the Star Wars floats and showed both of them pretty well. I believe ABC earlier had shown an interview with the guy who was Darth Vader in the parade and they talked about the 501st.

I wasn't paying close attention, so I didn't catch Lucas on there at all, other than NBC showing a picture near the beginning. I did see Lucas toss the coin before the Rose Bowl.

Whoever was portraying Anakin walking next to the float sure looked a lot like an Episode III Hayden. The one Padme on the side of the Naboo float was a good likeness too from what I could tell.

It was fun to see but the only thing I didn't like was how much of a brain trust was needed among organizers to figure out the SW floats/stormtroopers should have been put in front of the car carrying Lucas. And not have him come along 30 some minutes later after the SW floats...

I watched local channel 5, their coverage of the parade is usually pretty good but not this year, everything went by too fast and Bob Eubanks is an old coot (and new addition Michaela Periera is a doofus calling our wookiee pal "Chewie Chewbacca" over and over). I didn't care for either float, the Naboo one was good in theory but came off plain because they were too true to the source material and the waterfalls got lost, the Endor one was too busy and small to really make much out. I hope Lucas makes this an annual tradition though, LFL rose parade floats would be awesome for every year. I thought the 501st weren't as good as they should have been, but that marching band in officer uniforms sounded great and that was a lot of fun. Lucas was a sucky grand marshall I thought, he just didn't do or say enough, and while we were all impressed with Oklahoma's rocket pack guy (that gimmick still works 40 years later) I think it was insulting to the poor suckers in the parade stands that Lucas gave the rocket guy his attention to shake his hand while driving past.

I noticed a different marching band in a totally unrelated section of the parade playing the Throne Room march from the Rebel celebration at the end of ANH, that was cool, they sounded really good doing it, and it came off a non-SW tune so it didn't feel like they were just there to advertise SW.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Eubanks was such a fruit tart for poking fun at the 501st not once but twice. he called them "a bunch of groupies" and then said they "need to find jobs".

i didn't care for the floats either and feel that with the 30th anniversary, the focus should've been on ANH imagery. how about a giant R2 float? or a Death Star, Mos Eisley Cantina, a Falcon, an X-wing or even a Rebel Medal ceremony float?

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I watched local channel 5, their coverage of the parade is usually pretty good but not this year, everything went by too fast and Bob Eubanks is an old coot (and new addition Michaela Periera is a doofus calling our wookiee pal "Chewie Chewbacca" over and over). .
    Yeah I thought Eubanks was out of line with those comments about the 501. It's a parade not a convention - relax and enjoy it. I think he was ticked off as he went out of his way to mention Lucas was the only grand marshall not to give a video intro to them this year as in past years.

Did you watch through the ending as the people cleared out - where they interviewed (for an extended time) one of the float judges who happened to be Howard Kazanjian (Producer of Jedi) - was cool to see him again.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    i didn't care for the floats either and feel that with the 30th anniversary, the focus should've been on ANH imagery. how about a giant R2 float? or a Death Star, Mos Eisley Cantina, a Falcon, an X-wing or even a Rebel Medal ceremony float?
    I'm guessing that Endor and Naboo fit in better with the "Our Good Nature" theme that they had. Tatooine, Hoth and the Death Star don't convey that theme as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I'm guessing that Endor and Naboo fit in better with the "Our Good Nature" theme that they had. Tatooine, Hoth and the Death Star don't convey that theme as well.
    awww, come on now, tatooine has plenty of wildlife! dewbacks, banthas, rontos. what could be better than a float that's a patch of desert with moisture vaporizers?

Oh, and btw, when was the last time you saw a "spectacular" which lasted only 4 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by C5Jedi View Post
    Yeah I thought Eubanks was out of line with those comments about the 501. It's a parade not a convention - relax and enjoy it. I think he was ticked off as he went out of his way to mention Lucas was the only grand marshall not to give a video intro to them this year as in past years.
    Yeah, that was weird of Eubanks to point out, all whiney and pathetic like that, but he WAS technically right, Lucas barely could even phone it in.

Did you watch through the ending as the people cleared out - where they interviewed (for an extended time) one of the float judges who happened to be Howard Kazanjian (Producer of Jedi) - was cool to see him again.
    No, I didn't see that part, once they started the sign-off I split, what did he say? I wonder why he was chosen as a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Yes, that's very true. I think the Endor one should have been twice as big and had way more stuff going on. The Naboo one was super plain, they should have done a Felucia one to show nature on other planets instead (not that I'm forgiving the use of prequel elements to celebrate the SW 30th anniversary, but it would have fit better).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    No, I didn't see that part, once they started the sign-off I split, what did he say? I wonder why he was chosen as a judge.
    ).
    I thought the Floats, Lucas, and the parade itself overall was good. The commentators seem to be always bad on all the stations.

Kazanjian talked about being one of the judges and what criteria they had to go by on the floats and voting and selections. Talked about specific floats which they reshowed. He had a lot of on camera time. They must have spent around 10 minutes. ....

When she asked what made him give the endor float a prize, he said that he bowed of the voting on the two Lucasfilm floats since he produced Return of the Jedi a few years ago.

There was no reaction from either of the talking heads when he said that so I'm not sure they even knew Jedi was one of the Star Wars movies. They went back to asking him about when he first saw all the floats with the other judges, etc.. I was hoping they would at least ask him what he was up to next?

He graduated from the usc film school plus the connection to Lucasfilm I would imagine is why he was selected to be a judge...