Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Episode 4 tin

Episode 4 tin

I have found one in Boston, but it is overpriced at Newbury's.

Can anyone describe the Stormtrooper inside? Does the helmet reveal a Fett-clone, or Luke/Solo?

And, if the helmet reveals a Fett Clone, would anyone have a trooper to trade? I would also consider buying the trooper, or an intact set.

If anyone is interested, contact me: partyboss@fastmail.fm

It is a Jango clone. The body otherwise is that of the TSC Sandtrooper, and on mine, the helmet is a little lopsided on top (not too noticeable though).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Actually its not all TSC sandtrooper. The upper body is more like the POTF2 commtech stormtrooper. You can tell by the apparent skinniness of the armour and the amount of black undersuit visible at the shoulders and armpits. I rather like it really. Nice bit of variation. It looks horrible with the helmet off because of the ball-joint head jango clone with no lower jaw but with helmet on I've no complaints.

They retooled the upper part of the Sandtrooper's torso to make it skinnier, I assume so it doesn't interfere with the shoulder pauldron as much. I don't think that I really like the way it looks.

The Biker Scout from the ROTJ tin has a pinhead problem. The VTSC version has a helmet that was too small for a human head and this "flip-top" version makes the helmet even smaller if you can believe that (at least more narrow). So when you raise the faceplate, you see a ridiculously misproportioned head.

Below is a torso comparison of the ANH Tin Sandtrooper (left) and the TSC Sandtrooper (right), you can see the skinnier torso on the Tin Sandtrooper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2432.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	14938  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    They retooled the upper part of the Sandtrooper's torso to make it skinnier, I assume so it doesn't interfere with the shoulder pauldron as much. I don't think that I really like the way it looks.

The Biker Scout from the ROTJ tin has a pinhead problem. The VTSC version has a helmet that was too small for a human head and this "flip-top" version makes the helmet even smaller if you can believe that (at least more narrow). So when you raise the faceplate, you see a ridiculously misproportioned head.

Below is a torso comparison of the ANH Tin Sandtrooper (left) and the TSC Sandtrooper (right), you can see the skinnier torso on the Tin Sandtrooper.
    Why is the one on the left wearing a white beeny?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Why is the one on the left wearing a white beeny?
    Because it's January, why else?

Here's a comparison of the ROTJ Tin Biker Scout (left) and the VTSC Biker Scout (right).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2451.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	14941  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Wow, I had no idea the sandtrooper and scout trooper from these tins had removeable helmets and flip visors. I did not take mine out of the tins so I just assumed they were the TSC and VOTC versions of both figures. Thanks for the pics! COOL SNAPS!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic View Post
    Wow, I had no idea the sandtrooper and scout trooper from these tins had removeable helmets and flip visors. I did not take mine out of the tins so I just assumed they were the TSC and VOTC versions of both figures. Thanks for the pics! COOL SNAPS!
    Thanks. You do realize that the ANH Tin Vader and ROTJ Tin Endor Rebel Soldier both have removable helmets as well, right?

The temptation of the stormtrooper was too much.

That being said, on with the review:

Leia: The weakest of the bunch. Something about the facial sculpt seems off. It almost looks like....that librarian from Episode 2. This is actually my only Leia figure. Grade: C

C3P0: The pose is basically the droid shuffling forward. The articulation is vintage (pun intended) 3P0, with arms, head and legs being the main moveable points. This is not a bad 3P0 by any stretch. But, it is hardly the best one either. Grade: B/C

Darth Vader: At first, this seemed to be a slightly above average Vader. There was nothing spectacular in evidence about the figure itself. The sculpt looked average, maybe a bit over. The most attractive thing about the toy looking at it in the package is the lack of "chain" visible on the cape. Many recent Vader toys have a cheap looking silver string holding the cape on. It resembles, "Sith bling" for lack of a better term. This Vader has the cape attached without said bling. What is not apparent from looking at the toy in package is the removeable helmet/mask. The face is a smooth variant of what was shown on screen in Episode 6. It may not fit perfectly with Episode 4 in a strict sense, but it is a nice non-intrusive feature. Grade: A

Stormtrooper (Sandtrooper): This is a darned good Stormtroope figure. That is right, Stormtrooper. While this toy has a Sandtrooper's shoulder pad, the piece is removeable, and (unlike other Sandtroo[er figures), there is no obvious dirt on the armor. Take of the shoulder bit, and this becomes a perfectly Stormtrooper figur, with a removeable helmet. (Along similar lines, the gun is the short, more pistol-like weapon more commonly associated with ship-bound troopers.) The Fett clone under the helmet is a bit pale, but a head swap with a 501 trooper can solve this. Grade: A/B

Set over all: B Some may balk at paying an inflated price, but this set does have a good deal to offer. The two imperial figures both offer something new to toys of said characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Guglieme View Post
    The Fett clone under the helmet is a bit pale, but a head swap with a 501 trooper can solve this.
    I think the more pertinent criticism of that head is that he has no lower jaw - an important anatomical feature of the human person. DOWN WITH BALL JOINT NECKS!!!!!!