Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $300.00 At-at!

Cool $300.00 At-at!

Okay, before anyone freaks out, here's the basic concept.

I was walking through Wal-Mart last night and started to notice the immense size of some of the RC vehicle that are being sold in the toy section these days. Then I remembered that area of TRU where they sell large pedal-powered vehicles for kids to drive around.

So I got to thinking, what's to stop Hasbro from making a 5-foot tall toy of the AT-AT to be used with the 4" action figures? They set the price point at around $300. While this seems unusually high, think about how much Master Replicas is selling their "studio scale" AT-AT; over $1000 and it's only a couple of feet long.

This toy would be less than a third of that price, over three times the size, and would be compatible with the action figures (not to mention being an enormous storage case for hundreds of figures).

This would clearly appeal mainly to adult collectors with lots of disposable income (the same ones who spend thousands on their costumes and buy up hundreds of dollars worth of prop replicas a month). But it would also be one of those things that kids dream about owning all the way into their adult life.

While it seems unprecedented, remember the USS Flag aircraft carrier for the GI Joe line was over 7-feet long.

A 5-foot tall AT-AT would be a huge draw to the toy section, just because of it's impressive size and it would go down in history as one of the greatest Star Wars toys ever made.

And if it does well, we could get a 4-5 foot diameter Millenium Falcon released after that.

Of course, you'd probably have to sacrifice a large piece of furniture in order to find a place to put these, but that would be a small price to pay for greatness.

no way! my son would want that and I would feel compelled to get it for him, please don't,
    Order66

excellent traders; Val Da Car, Dark Marble, Commtech and info from KidHuman
    Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

It would be great but I cou;dn't afford it, and given the kind of answers Habro has been giving in the Q&A sessions I can't imagine them going for it.
    Wanted; loose or sealed
    Blue Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter (Not Anakin's), TRU Y-Wing, TRU Gold Leader X-Wing

That would be awesome and every home should have one but only if there is enough room.

Put me down for one.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So I got to thinking, what's to stop Hasbro from making a 5-foot tall toy of the AT-AT to be used with the 4" action figures?
    Well, one thing that might stop them is that an in-scale AT-AT for the figures would be only 33.8" tall, almost half the size you're talking about. (AT-AT is 15.5m tall, figure scale is 1:18, the AT-AT would be 0.86m tall)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett View Post
    Put me down for one.
    You have bad taste in sig-lines. (I'm putting you down, get it? - It's a joke people, lighten up)

A 2.8-foot-tall AT-AT seems feasible, and not in the radical $300 pricepoint BB is talking about either, but around the same "why the hell am I spending $90 for a 26-year-old mold???" pricepoint as the current one. Look at the giant vehicles you have been doing for the 12" GI Joe line over the past decade, there are other examples as well, it is possible I think, and it makes sense over recycling an old mold yet again.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Well, one thing that might stop them is that an in-scale AT-AT for the figures would be only 33.8" tall, almost half the size you're talking about. (AT-AT is 15.5m tall, figure scale is 1:18, the AT-AT would be 0.86m tall)

A 2.8-foot-tall AT-AT seems feasible, and not in the radical $300 pricepoint BB is talking about either, but around the same "why the hell am I spending $90 for a 26-year-old mold???" pricepoint as the current one. Look at the giant vehicles you have been doing for the 12" GI Joe line over the past decade, there are other examples as well, it is possible I think, and it makes sense over recycling an old mold yet again.
    That's even better! Even if it is free of electronics it would still be a great toy to own, look at the Gunship and Jango's Slave 1 - both great toys that had no electronic features.

So that could drop the price down to somewhere around $120-150. Still cheaper than what Gentle Giant is charging for that teeny little Speeder Bike statue.

I'd buy two!

It would help hasbro in shipping if the legs were detatchable so they could lay in the box with the box underneath the main body of the vehicle.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Of course, you'd probably have to sacrifice a large piece of furniture in order to find a place to put these, but that would be a small price to pay for greatness.
    Well, maybe if it came with an accessory tabletop, it could double as a coffee table when the kids weren't playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid View Post
    Well, maybe if it came with an accessory tabletop, it could double as a coffee table when the kids weren't playing with it.
    Kids? Who are these kids you speak of?

Actually, they could also make it sturdy enough to support a 19" TV set inside the body and it can double as an entertainment center.