Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

new comics day 1/10

GI Joe 19
    -This issue is the "breathing room" between arcs. There is a nice bit of irony to the fact that Serpentor, (a character steeped in history at many levels), is amnesiac. The biggest change to the status quo seems to be that Snake-eyes is no longer a ninja (as fall-out from a previous arc). Given the amount of back-pedaling and such that the series has been prone to in recent years, one might wonder how long this will stick. But, the Red Ninjas seem to have been permanently written out. Grade: B/C This issue is reason for cautious optimism about the series.

Manhunter 27
    -Yeah.......Blue Beetle seems to be back. Yeah. Um.......yeah. He stayed dead a whole 2 years. So, um, question for Dan DiDio and DC as a whole.....is Blue Beetle still emblamatic of the tone of comics? Wow. Back-pedaling. Grade: D Of course, the cover did get me to buy the issue.

Okay, I'm not worried about spoilers.

How exactly does one become "no longer a ninja"?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

he defected and became a pirate. simple.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

During the latest Red Ninja arc (which came out of the series being derailed), Snakeeyes was put under a ninja hex, and when he came out of it, was disillusioned with ninjitsu in general. The recent issue established that Snakeeyes had given up the life.

The Red Ninjas are pretty much wiped out (with a few if any surviving), and Stormshadow has taken in indefinite leave. I assume that DDP is writing the ninjas out.

All right. I know you don't care for the ninja aspect of a lot of Joe stories, and we'll have to agree to disagree on the merits (or lack thereof) of Mr Hama, but that is stupid.

Why is it stupid? Not so much because it's a pretty blatant deus ex machina to get all the ninja stuff out of the series, but it makes it painfully obvious that whoever's writing it now has never once cracked a book on historical or modern ninjutsu. He apparently thinks they are all-purpose evil wizards, and probably believes that Frank Miller cooked up the idea with his brother back in the 80s to fill pages in Daredevil.

Wow. I don't even want to start pointing out everything that's wrong with someone simply saying, "Y'know, I don't want to be a ninja anymore." I'll fill several pages with my b****ing. And I have better things to do.

Downplay the ninja aspects if you want. Slowly get to the point where he's just an especially dangerous guy in black. Kill Storm Shadow, Jinx, Firefly, and everyone else if you feel it necessary.

But this, wow. Wow. The series doesn't have to be especially realistic at all times, but for 26 years it's shown respect for those readers who bother to find out that ninjas aren't fictional assassins in black with spooky powers, but very real groups of people who purposely kept their methods (and even existence) shrouded in mystery, and who still survive to this day.

This is a factual error on par with Dreamwave saying the US had a Minister of Defense (or whatever it was) in their first Transformers series.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yes, the franchise has been around for 26 years. Being unchanged works for Archie, but not many other titles.

Snakeeyes walking away from the ninja life is presented as a rational decision on his part. Yes, his best friend, and most of the people he cares about are associated with the Arashikage clan. But, how much of the grief in his life, even before "Ties that Bind" is associated with the clan? You want "realistic" stories? Well, here you go. Most, rational, realistic, people would walk away after so much difficulty. Giving up a way of life, even that of a ninja, is not impossible. And, showing such an action is far less a deviation from reality than say, mis-labeling a high-profile official, using titles from the wrong system of government.

DDP has not killed Kamakura or Stormshadow. But, it seems that they will not be showing up for a time.

I have nothing against using ninjas in a story at a conceptual level. Stormshadow is one of my favorite characters, as is Kamakura. But, for whatever reason, in GI Joe, many of the ninja arcs fall into serious contrivancy. And, there are other characters. X-Men should not be only about Wolverine, nor should GI Joe be only about ninjas.

There is nothing "insulting" to fans about taking the ninjas out of GI Joe. So what if some fans have followed up on the idea and researched Japanese history and culture? Does this help them pretend that GI Joe is, or ever was, realistic? Do these ninjas (who it seems still exist today) have the mystical powers shown in GI Joe?

Are techniques such as the "Ear the Sees", the "Sleeping Phoenix" and the "Arashikage Mindset" possible to the degree, and with the utility, shown in GI Joe? I sincerly doubt it. If anything, looking into real ninja lore would probably detract from the illusion that the comic is realistic.

Frankly, after the aimlessness of a couple of years back, I will be happy if DDP sticks to a new status quo for any meaninful amount of time. If that means no ninjas and less chance for fans to show a psuedo cultural interest in Japan, so be it.

Heck, after 26 years, maybe some fans want (and deserve) something else.

There are some things you just don't do, as it relates to comics. If you take over an existing character, some "do's" and "don't" indirectly apply:

You don't make Superman from anywhere but Krypton.
    You don't have Bruce Wayne's parents live.
    You don't give the Human Torch the power to freeze things.
    You don't put Thor in Egypt's mythology.
    You don't give Ghost Rider a Razor scooter or a Schwin bicycle.
    You don't make the Black Panther from Thailand.
    You don't have Catwoman catch chicken pox and give her facial marks.

Therefore, you don't take away a ninja's ninja-ness. Period. GI Joe may not be on the level with some iconic Marvel or DC comics, but it has its own history and standards. This sounds bad, and I don't even collect the GI Joe comics anymore, but...
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I picked up the first issue of the Batman and Superman vs Aliens and Predator two shot series on Friday. I'll give my final thoughts on the story once its concluded. So far its got its good and bad, so we'll see how it wraps up and if it does so in a good manner.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

All righty.... I'm willing to say that, based upon your last post, I might have misinterpreted exactly what you meant.

So, to clarify, which is it?

A) Snake Eyes is still the badarse, black-clad, katana-wielding commando of the Joe team, but woke up one morning and thought, "Ninjas suck." He then renounced every bit of ninja training he's ever received and is merely a nasty commando.

B) Snake Eyes, after recent events, though, "The Arashikage Clan" sucks and then renounced his ties to the clan (or to any organized ninja clan), while still holding onto and practicing the skills he gained from them which would be considered "ninja skills."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

To answer Chux, Snakeeyes turns away from ninjitsu itself, not just the Arashikage. (Remember, most of them are dead now.) Given the amount of grief he likely associates with ninjitsu, this makes sense. I would bail too. Snakeyes is seen in issue 19 basically hiding from the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    There are some things you just don't do, as it relates to comics. If you take over an existing character, some "do's" and "don't" indirectly apply:

You don't make Superman from anywhere but Krypton.
    You don't have Bruce Wayne's parents live.
    You don't give the Human Torch the power to freeze things.
    You don't put Thor in Egypt's mythology.
    You don't give Ghost Rider a Razor scooter or a Schwin bicycle.
    You don't make the Black Panther from Thailand.
    You don't have Catwoman catch chicken pox and give her facial marks.

Therefore, you don't take away a ninja's ninja-ness. Period. GI Joe may not be on the level with some iconic Marvel or DC comics, but it has its own history and standards. This sounds bad, and I don't even collect the GI Joe comics anymore, but...

With fiction, understanding the reasoning for the rule is more important than the rule itself. If one understands the reason, it is possible to break the rule, and still yield a good product, as the intend of the rule would be preserved. I

First, discount fannishness. Superman and Krypton are good examples of this. Yes, I thought the end of "Red Son" was forced, and involved some bad comic book elements, but the lack of Krypton was hardly the worst thing in the story.

With the Human Torch, if one assumes his powers are derived from heat manipulation, rather than generating heat, then freezing would make sense, as the Torch would be able to draw away and re-allocate heat. If nothing else, what we know of physics and energy (and cold being the absence of heat) would be consistent with this as well. (The idea being that the Torch projecting heat one place would draw it from another.)

Bruce Wayne's parents dying are the motivation for Wayne to become Batman. There was an excellenct pre=Crisis Batman story ("To Kill a Legend") that assumed Wayne's parents lived, and Wayne still was destined to become Batman. (Sadly, the story was never followed up on, as aside from the living parents, it was assumed little else would change.)

And, Snakeyes need not be a ninja, unless one still insists on reading the same comics they did when they were 10. If you want Snakeeyes to always be a ninja (whoa, ninjas are kewl), read back-issues. As I have said before, the new GI Joe series is deeply flawed, largely by its reliance on polemnic writing. But, at least the plots are more idea based, if ostentatiously politicized, than they habe been in the last few years.

By the "Snakeeyes should be a ninja and ninjas are good" logic, Sigma 6 is the best thing to happen to GI Joe in a long time.