Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legos

Legos

are Lego sets worth much money now? I have a few incompelte ones i guess if anyone knows anything let me know.
    "Activate Order 66...WITH A SIDE OF NACHOS PLEASE!" -Emperor Palpatine

It's really tough to put a price on something for sure.

It really just depends on if someone happens to be looking for a particular item when it's up for sale.

One LEGO set may sell for $100 one week but may only sell for $50 the next.

Basically, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

If they're incomplete, your best bet is at a yard sale, and you won't get much.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

ebay is generally the best place to look for this, some sets even incomplete can fetch a decent amount if they have the box and instructions (the box and instructions can on rare occasions be worth more alone than with an incomplete set), while some sets just never take off and are worth more parted out (but that's more work and you really have to know what's what).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

something is only worth whatever some foolish individual is willing to pay for it.

I agree with what been said, but have a few things to add. An old incomplete can still be worth a fair amount if it was rare parts. Sets like the Yellow Castle (375/6075), Knight's Tournament (383/6083), and Knight's Procession (677/6077) all sell for big bucks even incomplete. In this case it's the mini-figures that are mostly driving the price. Generally speaking sets made between 1978 and 1983 sell more than sets made from 1984 onward. But a rare, unique, or desirable part can drive the price way up.

Pre-1978 sets need to have their boxes. Instruction are less important because these sets tended to be more like todays Basic sets. It's really only in the 70's do you start to see a lot of model specific sets. But the box and instruction always add to the value of a set.

My advice if you want to sell your sets is to sell them on eBay as one big lot, with as much info as you can provide. If you have a rare or valuable set (pre-1984), I'd then sell that one separately.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I've seen some Lego auctions on eBay that have fatched a good amount for just the mini figures, like Stormtroopers and Imperial officers. Now that they are releasing the smaller sets with 4 or so figures, I'm hoping it reduces the price of those auctions.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Just a few years ago, something like the Republic Gunship would go about as high as $100 or so (it retailed at $80). Now look at ebay and they are well over that amount. Many other of the larger sets have also gone for higher amounts on ebay recently. This may have to do with the latest splurge on Lego at retail from the 2006 Xmas season, but the aftermarket prices seem to be climbing for SW sets at least.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    I've seen some Lego auctions on eBay that have fatched a good amount for just the mini figures, like Stormtroopers and Imperial officers. Now that they are releasing the smaller sets with 4 or so figures, I'm hoping it reduces the price of those auctions.
    That goes in the desirable parts category. If you have one of every that a Stormtrooper comes in you only have 10 Stormtroopers. Clearly Lego doesn't make enough of those guys because there people out there want 10 or 100 times that number for large MOC scenes from the movies. I think Lego would really have to ramp up the production of these mini-figure in order to see much of a drop in the price. Demand for this mini-figure is just too great.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

ebay is my friend where lego parts are concerned. I rarely buy full sets. just pick and choose the parts depending on what I'm building and if I need certain bits just buy them from ebay. Though one of my favourite sellers from australia has just closed shop.