"The Complete Far Side" and "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes"

Two books that should be in everyone's collection.

These are my two favorite comic strips of all time, and unfortunately, both have been cancelled since the mid-90's. But they live on in these awesome collections. I got the Far Side for my birthday a couple years ago, and I just purchased Calvin and Hobbes yesterday. The prices for both are pretty steep (about $150 each), but believe me, they're well worth it. Does anyone else have these?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous View Post
    Two books that should be in everyone's collection.

These are my two favorite comic strips of all time, and unfortunately, both have been cancelled since the mid-90's. But they live on in these awesome collections. ... The prices for both are pretty steep (about $150 each), but believe me, they're well worth it. Does anyone else have these?
    I see them in bookstores all the time, but those steep prices deter me. I have said on many occasions that the decline in our society directly corresponds to C&H ending. Funny, thought provoking, creative... all things that're lacking in many (but not all) of today's comic strips.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Santa brought the Calvin and Hobbes boxed set for me for Christmas. It's not only cool (and pricey!!), it's 22.7 pounds!

Yeah, though sometimes it feels like a lot more, doesn't it?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I have a bunch of the C&H books themselves still. Dont have the Ultimate collections though.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I bought the complete New Yorker comics book when it came out (complete to that date, and most of 'em were on CD-ROM) and really enjoyed it, but hated having to read a book that large, it hampered my enjoyment some. I suspect a Complete Far Side which weighs 5 pounds and is 1200 pages would be another pain in the neck to deal with, but I also suspect I'll be asking for it for my birthday none the less. Thanks for the 411 on this!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I heard a rumor last year that C and Hobbs was coming back to the strips for a limited run....did this happen?

Why did Far Side and C and H have to end? Snoopy ran forever....even if Larson and Watterson felt like they couldn't be funny anymore, I'm sure their lamest humor was 500 times better than the best humor we have today....

(wipes tear of fond memories from cheek)
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhuman View Post
    I have a bunch of the C&H books themselves still. Dont have the Ultimate collections though.
    Same here. Loved both strips but I have so many of the various paperbacks that it doesn't make sense to buy the huge volume.

I do have The World of Charles Addams (1991), which collects 300 of the over 1,300 cartoons he published. I also like the late Gahan Wilson's stuff. His cartoons appear in Playboy and are akin to Addams' humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    Why did Far Side and C and H have to end? Snoopy ran forever....even if Larson and Watterson felt like they couldn't be funny anymore, I'm sure their lamest humor was 500 times better than the best humor we have today....
    I remember reading that both Larson and Watterson wanted to retire, saying they were burn out creatively from the pressue of doing daily strips. Watterson seemed almost bitter to me, especially about how other cartoonists (read: Schulz) sold out and licensed their creations for a glut of crappy merchandising. He said he'd never do that with C&H. Of course that didn't stop whoever makes all those peeing Calvin decals you see on the back of truck windows.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side, and now Fox Trot...*sigh*

Yet Marmaduke continues...
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Yea, I got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes for X-Mas in 05 and it's a great collection. I've also been getting all the Complete Peanuts as well.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!